UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Mercedes-1 Ducati-0

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
Hypermonkey

Mercedes-1 Ducati-0

I was off early today to meet up with the Pistonheads bikers for a nice ride out from Boxhill to Loomies and then for a run when this happened.

Scenario was this...

I was behind the Merc and he put his washers on...no worries just hung back some. He then put them on again for a prolonged period..again no biggie but as the road turned straight and there where no oncoming vehicles I overtook at 40mph (40 limit) and changed into lane 1 again. The limit changed to 30mph so I gently broke to 30mph only to be met by the Merc literally 10 feet behind me hooting his horn like crazy (he must have sped up when I entered lane 1).

The road had a gentle right hander but I saw that there where chippings/stones on the road and also a damp patch, so I adjusted my road position to just left of the centre lines and allowed the bike to go to 20-25mph as the conditions dictated. I kept the braking gradual from the 40mph zone and was all set for the slight bend when it came. I checked my mirrors as heard the horn on the Merc go again only to see him hit me (well almost looked like he rammed me!)

The bike was hit in the rear on the onside pipes cleanly braking the pipe off with the rear set still attached and bending the pipe where the rear peg had hit before it snapped off. The bike then went down on the right side after I had ridden the initial hit for 10 feet or so and broke again as to take as much sting out of it as I could. I ended up in the gutter on the opposite side of the road with the oncoming traffic luckily stopping.

The driver of the oncoming vehicle had rushed over to see if I was ok and this was the first thing I remember after seeing the Merc in the mirror. I collected myself and rolled to see the Monster looking sorry for itself. I then saw petrol dripping from under the tank (just the carbs emptying) so ran over and lifted the bike up at an angle and wiped away the fuel to make it safe...checked the tank fully to ensure no leaks and put the bike on the side stand. Throughout all of this the Merc driver had got out...stood crossed armed and just looked at the scene..didn't offer help...didn't ask if I was ok or anything!

I removed my lid after doing some self checks on myself and just looked at him saying 'why did you do that!!' His reply was "I'm not saying anything...speak to my solicitor!!" Well this just filled me with warmth!

The whiteness gave me and the Merc driver her details and went on her way..along with the other 10 cars that had formed each way. I asked for the Merc drivers details and he stated "You'll have to wait..I'm late picking my Son up from the station." How I kept my cool was beyond me at this stage but I retorted with "I need your info and you need mine." He carried on walking until I stated that if he got in his car I would pull him out through the screen top get the details..which at this time, and considering his behaviour I felt was a good enough time to lay down some demands.

He only stopped as a cyclist had phoned 999 and the operator had told him to give the details, pick his Son up and return to the scene.

I was checked out by some paramedics and gave my statement to the Police when they arrived. Upon hearing my statement one of the paramedics commented that he thought that it sounded like road rage..and upon looking at it it could quite well have been...but who would ram a motorcyclist in revenge for a lawfull overtake??