UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Multiple Musings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
MilesB

Question Multiple Musings

What do I want from a bike

As most of the regulars to this Forum will have gathered, I have an on-going search for the ā€˜best bike for meā€™ projectā€¦ and I think Iā€™ve found it at last.

Donā€™t get me wrong ā€“ I love my Monster ā€“ BUTā€¦
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=14055

Over the few years I have been biking, Iā€™ve always had naked roadsters ā€“ with or without small headlight cowls as the only weather protection. I like the ā€˜honestyā€™ of the naked roadster; you can see, and get to, everything without having to remove plastic fairings which can (and do) hide a multitude of sins on some bikes. Hence I love the ā€˜retro nakedā€™ look of the Monster. But I also love that about the Moto Guzzi Griso ā€“ which is an awesome looking beast, and the Buell Lightning(s).

Those who know me know that I enjoy riding ā€˜technicalā€™ roads ā€“ twisty, turny with steep hills both up and down. Overall speed in a straight line is easy ā€“ given a modest sized motorbike we can all hit illegal speeds on motorways and dual carriageways; Boring. The trick to make good progress on twisty A and B roads, and to have fun at lower speeds. So, my bike has to have good handling and brakes, and a flexible engine. Ducati air cooled ā€˜Lā€™ twins provide great controllable and useable power, with engine braking.

I also like to do reasonable distances on my bike, as I use it for holidays too. With soft luggage the Monster becomes a passable tourer ā€“ even better now Iā€™ve fitted the rack ā€“ and with a comfy saddle the daily range is over 300 milesā€¦ Iā€™m sure more are possible, but Iā€™ve yet to try.

So the Monster is pretty much good enough for meā€¦ many other bikes could achieve similar capabilities, but then they wouldnā€™t qualify me to spend my time with you lot ! This club is great, and I have made some good friends though it so even if I become Monsterless, I donā€™t wanna leave!

But that doesnā€™t stop me trying other bikesā€¦

I had a test ride on the Buell XB12Ss, which was fun, but ultimately lacked the engine braking I was expecting. Also had a somewhat compromised ride on a Griso ā€“ uncomfortable, and I wasnā€™t able to open up the engine properly.