UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hey guys! New M900 owner here! :D

Old 09-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
JMH900sie

Hey guys! New M900 owner here! :D

Hey!

Im Joe, and ive just bought (yesterday!) one of my dream bikes (well, an affordable one anyway! ) a Monster M900sie!

Shes a 2000 model, bright yellow, with only 10500 miles and even though ive only had her one day, ive totally fallen for the amazing grumbly torqueyness!

Does anyone else use one as a daily rider? or am i just plain insane?

Thanks!

Joe
Old 09-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the club and well done on picking a great bike.
There are plenty of daily commuters in the club for the brave winter riders.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
JMH900sie

thanks pal! Cant beat the dry clutch noise!
Old 09-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Congratulations....You're the second 900Sie new owner in two days...Yellow you say..!!

Must have some pictures please..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
JMH900sie

VERY YELLOW! I wasnt sure of the colour when i saw the ebay ad, but i fell ln love when i saw it in the flesh (well, the metal!). Shes currently all tucked up under her cover hiding from the rain, but ill get some pics up asap!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Daily... only drawback is you do lots of miles but keep the oil changed regularly and the motors do OK, mine will pass 80K early evening next tuesday!!

Despite what the iggerant jap rider might say they are very reliable and still looks not too shabby, helps that there's not so much of it.
They do find grip well even when it's really ****ty, I've quite happily plodded along through a few inches of snow before (LOL well I wasn't going to walk it was friggin appaling weather!) and 2+ft of water is easily manageable.

Last edited by Nickj; 09-12-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
JMH900sie

is there anything i should look out for?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Hello good evening, welcome

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH900sie View Post
is there anything i should look out for?
The most common problem folk seem to report with Monsters is the battery boiling or just going flat due to the reg/rec failing.
A good bit of preventative maintanence should stave that off by making sure all the connectors to the reg/reg are clean, tight and waterproof, and the wires in good (unbroken) condition.

The same goes for all the connections really...I had problems with the plugs on the injectors, for instance....Been bullet proof since I changed the connectors.

At the risk of sounding obsessed with the floating rear brake on the Sie model. The rose joints on the torque rod seem to be very prone to wear, so keep them well lubed.
I am going to try some rubber boots on mine when they arrive in the post. hopefully that will keep the grit out and the lube in. The rose joints on the rear suspension hoop need regular lube too...Trying boots on those too..

Monsters are pretty robust really with a bit of common sense..The worst thing is going to be the salt on the ally. We used tyo use Waxoyl in the ol' days, but the guys use some squirty stuff nowadays that they swear by.

Mine's tucked up in the warm now, along with my old bones.. But I used to ride all year round on old British irons and enjoyed every minute of it......Good luck..
Old 11-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Rascall

Bike: M900ie
problem to look for

The wiring loom can fill with water on this model in the low point down near where the tank and right hand sidepanel meet, over a long period of time the water can cause damage to the loom. Quick solution - cut a small drain hole in the looms outer sheath at the lowest point. Best solution is to remove the loom, cut of the loose fitting platsic jacket and re wrap with a layer of butyl tape and then a layer of outer loom tape (pvc or cloth)

This model also has a front sprocket different to all other monsters/ducatis. You need one specific to a 2000/2001 model M900ie

I have a 2001 900ie - love it

Russell
Rascall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
JMH900sie

Looks like the loom is coming off after Xmas then! Thanks for the tips guys........ Just enjoying riding her at the mo..... The noise she spits out of the sil exhausts is intoxicating!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

That might explain why my harness looks like a bad plaster cast on a broken elbow at that point, Rascall.

Yes the front sprocket is special on that model, and you pay more for it if you can find one.!

I run an ordinary standard sprocket with the boss inwards towards the engine, and a 5mm homemade spacer between the sprocket and retaining ring.
It's just a ring cut from 5mm dural plate using two hole saws. I also use 20mm screws instead of the 15mm ones to compensate for the spacer.

I also fitted a home made crankcase saver...Do a search on here about those and you won't want to be without one for very long..!!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Interesting reading for the newly Monstered...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ake+case+saver

Please be warned that page 13 of the top thread linked to, contains the, then, breaking news of the death of the hero of the piece....As tragic now as then, but unrelated to the subject matter.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
Scott1

I ride my 19 year old Monster daily, rain, shine, hot, freezing cold, whatever. I do about 120 miles a week, it has had a few age related issues but these were caused by the last owner only using it twice in three years, now it runs like a dream. I used to worry about mileage but I could no longer give a stuff, just enjoy it. Sils do sound great, I think most of the older ones are 105db!

Do post some pics.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
JMH900sie

Can you make me one of those things gazza? I really dont have time for at least a few months to get in the shop to bash one out, and youve put the willies up me XD