UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » How do you ride in the frost ??

Old 13-12-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
How do you ride in the frost ??

Givent he current spell of very cold weather, anyone got any advise for me riding in these conditions ?
I've done rani, plenty of rain, but none of these frosty mornings and I need to use the bike on Saturday morning for a short trip.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Mand

words from a sage....

Carefully.
Old 14-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand View Post
Carefully.
And you managed to miss out "Don't use the Monster!" - which is why the sensible amongst us have something a little bit more 'disposable'.

When the weather is like this, I use the 125cc twist and go scooter dosed in Scottoiler FS365 - bike stays in the garage until the sun comes out!
Old 14-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB View Post
And you managed to miss out "Don't use the Monster!" - which is why the sensible amongst us have something a little bit more 'disposable'.

When the weather is like this, I use the 125cc twist and go scooter dosed in Scottoiler FS365 - bike stays in the garage until the sun comes out!
A 125 hey? Some of us resort to using a 50cc.
Old 14-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
MilesB

Quote:
A 125 hey? Some of us resort to using a 50cc.
You need to 'Feel the Power' - Indicated 60mph 2-up, and 70mph downhill - which is scary in any conditions . When I eventually wear out the 125 I may go for a 250. The scoot is my 'car' and gets abused... Financially it's already paid for itself (both capital and running costs) against the cost of going by bus, and is now saving me money

Miles
Old 14-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB View Post
You need to 'Feel the Power' - Indicated 60mph 2-up, and 70mph downhill - which is scary in any conditions . When I eventually wear out the 125 I may go for a 250. The scoot is my 'car' and gets abused... Financially it's already paid for itself (both capital and running costs) against the cost of going by bus, and is now saving me money

Miles
I can relate to that Miles. The scoot is my dad's, I doesn't cost me a penny to insure, when I had it put on my policy Ducati Insurance said it didn't make any difference to the premium, the petrol consumption is ace, I can use it for a fortnight before filling it up and then it costs me in the region of fiver.

It costs £3 return on the bus daily or if I had to park £6.60. Plus the fact it only takes me 20 minutes on the scoot zipping through the traffic, if I was in the car, it would double the time getting home.

I just get loads of ribbing from my work colleagues though - like I care!

Mand
Old 13-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
J.P
No more Monster...

What and, 'don't pull the frant brake very hard'.
Is that right Mand ?

Old 13-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Mand

More advice from Auntie Mand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
What and, 'don't pull the frant brake very hard'.
Is that right Mand ?

Correct! And make sure you wear your vest tucked into your pants as well. Not nice having a cold back.
Old 13-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Exactly as Jerry and the others say (potential spoof band name).

I find it's the corners where you need to be most careful, as they tend not to defrost due to lack of use and the chances of exactly following a cars track where there is less ice is less likely.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Exactly as Jerry and the others say (potential spoof band name).

I find it's the corners where you need to be most careful, as they tend not to defrost due to lack of use and the chances of exactly following a cars track where there is less ice is less likely.

Hey - how did you know I was called Jerry!
Old 13-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
Hey - how did you know I was called Jerry!
Bloody good guess! Either that or I'm a weird stalker and know where you live. DOB. What your occupation is and what your hobbies are now.

Anyway I'm of to, err...... (Classic Simpson's episode if anyway remembers it where Homer is a stalker and sits at the table pretending he's not going out to stalk). Christ today is dragging!

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
J.P
No more Monster...

Quote:
Correct! And make sure you wear your vest tucked into your pants as well. Not nice having a cold back.

What a great piece of advice. I will make sure the stringy is well and truely tucked in.

Old 13-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
Mand

I think I have lost the plot today....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
What a great piece of advice. I will make sure the stringy is well and truely tucked in.
You know it makes sense....
Old 13-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
kevm

Exclamation

I agree with all of above, but watch it if your journey involves anything in the countryside, especially where overhanging trees keep the road shaded, This can sometimes result in frost being there all day. take care. Kev.
Old 13-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #15
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
What kind of vest do you suggest Mand, you seem to be a font of useful knowledge on this topic