UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » ramble

Old 15-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
creepy

ramble

is it me?or is using a monster for daily commuting a bad idea?i dont want to sound negative as i love my bike,but every day the thing seems to run differently,sometimes sweet,sometimes off colour.it always starts well but theres always that feeling that i,ve been lucky it started,if you know what i mean? every week seems to throw up a new niggle too fix at the weekend before work on monday and the thing seems to attract dirt like no other i've owned!i'm no mechanic but i did fit a second-hand cylinder head after i broke a cambelt,so this might explain my lack of confidence in the machine but the the thing just feels fragile to me.in my opinion with 25k on clock regardless of age the bike should be like new,but when i read other posts it seems my bike is high milage! i ride one of the busiest roads in europe every day(a2 into london) but ive never seen another monster,are monsters for fun only?should i buy a honda 90?
creepy
Old 15-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
Scotty

nah but im convinced they need a good work out every now and again rather than (the short in my case) commute to work
Old 15-04-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
Broke a cambelt??? THE most important thing with these beasts is regular correct servicing. No ifs or buts. Should be fine for commuting then. I usually do a high mileage around London on mine. 35k now, most of that 'round London. The batteries are **** eon these, for a better solution get a http://www.tayna.co.uk/catalog/73/0/...ies-page1.html from http://www.knightbatteries.com/popup...1471&p_i=91471
That'll do it...
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
DesmoDog

I used mine for a really short trip to work <3miles. Won't bother again as it did the bike no good at all and mine is well maintained. 27k miles. Better to get a scooter.
Old 16-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Creepy,
I used mine for 26 mile round trip to work every day for a year, before I quit that job and I know what you mean about it feeling different every day(despite mine being fuel injected) no major problems. If the journey's less than 5 miles get a bicycle or a two stroke you'll do more harm than good. Sod what most people commute on... I got a 620 because I didn't want a heavy clutch for my city commute but still want a bike that's proper fun at the weekend. Yes, even the dark's a nightmare to clean properly.
Are you doing the East Kent rideout tomorrow? Bob knows how to keep a monster clean!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
DesmoDog

Slob, I found that out the hard, but thankfully not too expensive way. Mucho plug fouling etc. Now use the car and will soon use the feet. A pedal bike just don't have the grunt!
Old 17-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #7
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
Creepy,
Are you doing the East Kent rideout tomorrow? Bob knows how to keep a monster clean!
Oooh that won't get back...

Didn't you hear Bob say at the Oakdene that she's trying for the "Dirtybike" award at Arrow Mill in May?

Creepy,

Think I must see you at least twice a week at the moment. I'm guessing your the guy (open face lid & dayglo vest) on the red monster I often pass on Princes road around 8.30am, usually coming down the hill towards the lights on Lowfield street?

I'm in my works van (Balfour Beatty) most of the time, but if I get the chance to use the monster for work I'll give you a wave. I live in Wilmington so only a few miles away from you at most.

As Slob said - try to get yourself to a few Kent ride-outs, thats the best place to tie up with local UKMOC'ers.

Last edited by gary tompkins; 17-04-2005 at 08:20 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote