UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi from Bucks, and keen to be monster owner

Old 05-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
Handsy

Hi from Bucks, and keen to be monster owner

Hi I'm Dan from Buckingham, and are in the market for a monster. Would I be able to get some advice, as not sure which bike to get. Was looking at maybe an 1100 Evo 2010 ish or an 821 2014. Both near same money (within 1500), but which is best air cooled or water? Then I was thinking should I get a 900 2000 reg for around 2k to start with as I had an r6 but that was over 8 years ago. Love the look of the 821 though. Thanks Dan
Old 05-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'd get down to Ducati Aylesbury and test ride both (assuming the still have an 1100 in stock), so you can make your own mind up. The 821 will be revvier than the 1100. Both will seem somewhat less 'race focused' than an R6.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Welcome aboard!
You've opened the old can of worms about air cooled v liquid cooled...sit back and enjoy the ride!
I'm a liquid cooled man myself, love the revy nature's of the engine.
Old 22-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Wassanator

hi grumpy just purchased a 696 air cooled do I need to change oil type in the summer
Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
Handsy

Yeah been down to on yer bike, they have got some nice bikes. They don't have an 821 for what I can get from another dealer, but may ring for a test ride on the 1100. It's a hard decision, but I think the 2000 900 is a bit old and possibly troublesome?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsy View Post
Hi I'm Dan from Buckingham, and are in the market for a monster. Would I be able to get some advice, as not sure which bike to get. Was looking at maybe an 1100 Evo 2010 ish or an 821 2014. Both near same money (within 1500), but which is best air cooled or water? Then I was thinking should I get a 900 2000 reg for around 2k to start with as I had an r6 but that was over 8 years ago. Love the look of the 821 though. Thanks Dan
The M1100evo came onto the market in 2011. A 2012 in good condition should set you back £7000-£7500 (based on the insurance payout for writing mine off). Air cooled or water cooled, there is no best. The evo and the 1100 before it are great bikes (I owned both). They are not without their foibles as is the 821. I have ridden an 821, but didn't like it as much as the evo. The riding position is different for a start. I think the newer bikes have longer service intervals which should keep running costs down, but bear in mind that Ducati don't expect you to be riding service interval mileage annually. There will probably be things that need adjusting between services if you ride that sort of mileage.

If you search for posts I have started you'll probably find lots of my thoughts on the 1100 and the evo and a brief mention of the test ride of the 821. Bear in mind that just because I like marmite it doesn't mean that you will.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the forum Handsy.
I've had the 1100 EVO and changed it earlier this year for an 821 Stripe.
Really liked the 1100 EVO, my third Monster, lots of fun with a really usable engine and the safety of the ABS and traction control package. But the 821 is a real step forward as far as the engine is concerned, quite a lot more power from 8,00 0rpm vs topping out on the 1100 around that level.
It's physically a wider, higher bike, so that is also a factor, though on the 821 you are sat a little more in the bike, rather than on the bike of the 1100.

Best try a place where you can at least sit on them side by side, and test them both.
I've made a number of changes so if you need any help let me know.

Have fun.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Welcome to the forum Handsy.
I've had the 1100 EVO and changed it earlier this year for an 821 Stripe.
Really liked the 1100 EVO, my third Monster, lots of fun with a really usable engine and the safety of the ABS and traction control package. But the 821 is a real step forward as far as the engine is concerned, quite a lot more power from 8,00 0rpm vs topping out on the 1100 around that level.
It's physically a wider, higher bike, so that is also a factor, though on the 821 you are sat a little more in the bike, rather than on the bike of the 1100.

Best try a place where you can at least sit on them side by side, and test them both.
I've made a number of changes so if you need any help let me know.

Have fun.
Completely unbiased view. I have also had aircooled then watercooled then back to aircooled. Both are great but really done to taste and style preferable or maybe now technical choice. Open roads I like a aircooled. In town I prefer watercooled. I would have all models if I could. Monsters an monster whatever engine.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
Handsy

Thanks for all comments, really helpful. I will try and get down to the dealer this weekend. I have my kit just no bike lol. Been undecided for months now and really want to make a decision, just don't want to rush and get it wrong
Old 05-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
TonyG

Hi,

I too live in Bucks. I've got an 1100s and have test ridden an 821 for a full day. I prefer the 1100, which is why I have it, but the 821 was a really nice bike, couldn't fault it, especially the abs which I ended up being grateful for! Not keen on the looks from the side with all the plumbing though. As everyone says, try and ride both.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Don't worry too much ...all three are excellent bikes, there really isn't a "wrong" decision.

Personally, I've always loved the 1100evo since it was launched ..one of the best bikes ever built in my opinion, but then I'm an aircooled fan.
And the 821 has had great revues.
The 2000 M900 is probably one of the last of the carby models and as such has all the little design niggles sorted out. This would be a good choice if you plan on doing your own maintenance as the older, carbed, aircooled bikes are easier to work on (and Ducati servicing aint cheap).
The older bike wins on depreciation too as it will probably hold its current value for the foreseeable future whereas the newer ones will not.
Downside with carbs vs injection is that carbs will ice up in the winter, but on the plus side they can be easier/cheaper to maintain.

Me, I remain blissfully happy with my 2000 (carbed) M750 and will never, ever part with it.

And welcome.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The liquid cooled are much more powerful than the old air cooled lump, the air cooled have slightly cleaner lines than the LC. But you don't see the bike when you're riding it, so you do the math?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
It's a personal thing but I'm not a huge fan of the new water cooled monsters for aesthetic reasons.Being water cooled they go up against some very strong competition.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
as others have said im not keen on watercooled. just could never fall in love with all that plumbing. for me the old uns have the soul and the style in bucketloads which the newer models just cannot match however that being said if you must have new style go for the evo. they are air cooled and just plain bonkers. think they have one of the highest power to weight ratios going and you can feel it too.
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #15
Rocker66

Air cooled from me too