UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Back on the Map

Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Back on the Map

So after being off the radar here of late for various reasons such as a couple of family holidays, my inlaws staying with us for a few weeks for a run of family birthdays and Photobucket trying to hold us all to ransom thus having to sort out a new host site.

On top of all that trying to find as much free time as I could to get out on the Monster in what has been some great weather, things have finally calmed down for me enough to get back online.

Speaking of electronic wizardry and having planned my now annual whizz over the channel for the beginning of July I thought after last years trip with a mate who had a Satnav on his bike I thought it a good idea to go for one myself.

So on the Coast to Coast trip I tried an old car type TomTom I had which I fitted into the clear window of my tank bag while toying with the idea of buying an up to date model and modifying it to fit the bike for my Euro trip.

However, after chatting with a couple of chaps on the run who were using various motorcycle specific models I decided to plumb for a Garmin Zumo.

It came with various mounting hardware and fitted with the minimum of hassle with the only small issue being I had to buy a longer M8 hex cap head bolt to enable me to use a different 'Ram mount' as I wanted to utilise the handle bar clamp rather than have a bracket mounted to the bars themselves, but other than that it is great.

The instructions show to wire it direct to the battery but wanting to avoid any potential current drain by having a permanent live to the cradle. I decided to wire it into the light circuit and with enough length to the supplied loom I piggy backed the connection at the tail light and hid the 'black boxes' behind the left hand side panel. Therefore I didn't cut into any of the original loom and allowed it to be switched or easily disconnected should the need occur- which it didn't or hasn't done so far.

To say I am impressed with it is an understatement- it's clear, daylight visible and easy to use without it being a distraction while riding.

Old bike meets new tech:

Last edited by Flip; 07-09-2017 at 12:14 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
I have a Zumo too - the screen completely readable in bright sunlight which really impressed me. I
What is this Ram mount? What are the advantages of using it?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Ram mount is a ball so the device can be rotated and twisted at any angle.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Ram mount is a ball so the device can be rotated and twisted at any angle.
Thanks! But mine came with a ball mount so I am still unsure what is different to the standard offering? Ideally a mounting bracket which puts the Sat Nav in front of where the speedo is would be the best...

Last edited by Jez900ie; 12-09-2017 at 06:31 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Unless he means he had to buy a new Ram mount that would take an M8 bolt so he could use the clamp mount rather than use the one that clamps to the bar itself?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Unless he means he had to buy a new Ram mount that would take an M8 bolt so he could use the clamp mount rather than use the one that clamps to the bar itself?
Yes exactly that Darren!!

The kit was supplied with two Ram mount options, the first being one half of a mirror clamp which won't work on a Monster as the mirror mount itself is the other half of the brake or clutch lever/fluid reservoir and the second a stand alone clamp to fit around the handlebars wherever you wish but in my mind made things even more cramped than they already are.

So I ordered a single Ram mount ball and a 100mm long hex cap head screw to replace one of the handlebar clamp fixings and I now have a Garmin cradle that doesn't get in the way of the speedo with or without the Satnav fitted and is adjustable enough for me to still see even with a tank bag fitted.