UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Motorcycle Musings....(part one)

Old 25-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Motorcycle Musings....(part one)

For the last couple or so years I have been thinking of another bike to have alongside my Monster. With a combination of my daughter growing up (a little too quickly at times) and no longer racing means I have gained a little more time to ride (not quite as much as I'd like but every little helps) but with my Monster getting older and often needing 'those little jobs' doing with a jammed garage it was always a compromise between working on it and riding it and I began to feel I wasn't taking full advantage of the motorcycle riding time I had available, plus as much as I love my Monster it was becoming more and more of 'an event' to go out on.

First up to try was BMW's R Nine T which, having never ridden one of their 'Boxers' before I found it characterful with plenty of go and a typical BMW mix of old and new.

However, first impressions of the seat was it felt hard and also being very flat meant for me there wasn't the sculptured fit to be comfortable- the demonstrator I took out from the very helpful Vines at Guildford, even had their 'comfort seat' fitted so I have no idea if the standard one would have been better or worse. I am not sure if it was the fact I find my old M900 so comfortable or if it really was as uncomfortable as I remember but it certainly didn't feel all day ride-able to me.

So not willing to splurge £10k+ on a bike I might not find comfortable plus the very clever and no doubt complicated electronics meant it was a no from me on this occasion.
With a 2019 trip to Brittany planned and (irrationally) not wanting to take the Monster on a Ferry, at the tail end of 2018 I bought a Yamaha Thundercat, mainly because I had owned one new back in 1996 and looking back, felt I never really went anywhere on it other than increasingly hectic rides out with sports bike riding friends.

So the deal was done and a few tweaks here and there made it into a lovely, two previous owner 10,000 mile bike with full history all set to take me wherever I wanted to go with a 250 mile tank range and a big comfortable seat for all day riding- the bike to get me riding more.

I had a great trip around Brittany in glorious sunshine but all the time, as good as the 'Cat was I wished I was riding the Monster- after twenty years of ownership had I become institutionalised to it I wondered?

Last edited by Flip; 13-07-2021 at 10:57 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
Flip

Part Two......

Back home and yes, as planned I was riding more but I couldn't help thinking it was because I had time to rather than itching to specifically ride the Thundercat. Then I saw the Ducati Roadshow was being run at a local bike meet café by P & H Motorcycles of Crawley, so next on my list to try was a Ducati Scrambler, again nice enough but with its' digital dash not really suiting the style in my mind, a small fuel tank and the only model I really liked being the Classic which runs inner tubes in its' tyres along with similar servicing to my Monster I decided it wasn't for me.

Next please....

After being put off by the 'Mr Ben' dress-up (for those too young to remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0AW-fxgkM4) that seems to go with them I had never managed to make myself ride a Harley but after venturing in to the Guildford dealership (which I have to say was probably the most friendly dealer I have ever visited with every member of staff saying hello and offering me a coffee and generally making me feel welcome. I took out the '48 model which is their stripped back 1200cc 'Sportster'.

I have to say I was impressed, at around £8000 it looked pretty well put together, it was comfortable, it had character and it was authentic. Another plus for me was it had no rider aides other than ABS (although the keyless ignition annoyed me as you still need a key for the steering lock) but this too had the most impractical fuel tank ever fitted to anything this side of a sprint racer. Just 2.2 gallons!!

Two POINT Two Gallons, giving it a (if you're lucky) eighty mile range- I know the tank can be changed for a bigger one and all that but that's not the point- sorry Harley!

I kept on thinking through the first Lockdown until the break over Christmas as my wife and I wander past the Moto Guzzi dealer in the Chichester where they have a couple of V7's in their window......

Last edited by Flip; 25-04-2021 at 01:54 PM..
Old 25-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Hurry up with the Guzzi instalment - I'm on tenterhooks!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
Flip

Part three...

As we entered the second Lockdown after Christmas I kept thinking more about those lovely looking V7's in the window and my online reading turned more and more V7 reviews of which I couldn't find a bad one.

My eBay searches found good residuals on late model second hand bikes and with that in mind I put both my little race bike and Thundercat up for sale while making contact with a few Guzzi dealers.

One in particular had a brand new V7 in stock in my favourite colour 'Bronzo Levigato' for a (very) reduced price as they told me there was a new 850cc version out later 2021.
For a brief moment I thought about hanging on but when I saw the digital dash and the re-sculptured seat along with the extra Euro 5 sensors poking out here and there I explained my situation that I had no space until something sold.

Not for me:

As their dealership was closed due to restrictions they said they were happy and so without so much as a test ride, seeing the actual bike and to the amusement of my wife knowing what an anorak I can be I paid a deposit. 'It's Italian- what's not to like?' Was my only reply to her.

A week later the race bike sold and was picked up for it's journey to its' new custodians' home meaning that although I still had the Thundercat I also had room in my garage.
A call to the Guzzi dealer and with my registration chosen it was delivered to me mid February ready for me to ride on the 1st March.

Last edited by Flip; 25-04-2021 at 01:18 PM..
Old 25-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
Flip

Part four....

With two weeks to kill before I could legally ride it gave me plenty of time to look around it and get familiar with the new addition and I have to say, the more I looked the more impressed I became especially when you consider their price point. Of course there are things which could perhaps be better but Stainless Steel fixings on pretty much all non safety critical fixings, braided brake lines and embroidered seat moniker all add up when you consider I paid a smidge under £7k brand new, on the road and delivered to my door from Nottingham.

Last edited by Flip; 25-04-2021 at 01:13 PM..
Old 25-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Luddite

I've been waiting for this news to break, Flip. I'd be happy to squeeze that into my garage - sounds like a bargain too. Enjoy!
Old 25-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
Flip

Part Five...

So 1st March booked off work and it was a dry day and a press of the starter gives a little delay while it works out what is being asked before it thuds into an off beat fast idle and then it's off on a twenty-ish mile round trip to fill up with fuel and see what's what.

A full tank of twenty one litres, back home and out with the spanners to adjust the gear change pedal which was set way too high for my liking meaning I had to take my foot off the rest to change up and to tilt the brake and clutch levers downwards a bit to get them inline with my arms making them more comfortable and then it's off again....

Riding the leafy A Roads through Sussex, Hampshire and up into Surrey on my first day out immediately shows how smooth the Guzzi gearbox is without so much of a hint of noise as it slips into first either at a stop or on the move. Again, finding neutral is the same experience with a feel not requiring the reassurance of the little green LED lighting on the Speedo face.

With 4000 rpm (indicated by a light illuminating) available during the running in process meaning something like 80% of its' torque is already available I instantly know that the motor is just the kind of lazy revving ride I was hoping it would be.

Initially the brakes, despite being a full 320mm floating disc up front gripped by a Brembo caliper felt a little underwhelming requiring a gentle press of the rear to help with slowing up which I hoped was down to the fact everything was new rather than it requiring a second disc up front to assist in hauling it up.

Back home grinning my face off after racking up two hundred miles and over the moon with how it had gone other than another tweak, this time of the bars to improve the angle my wrists sat at I found it very comfortable indeed.

Next time out I found the tweaks I had made to the to bars had sorted my wrist comfort and I was totally happy.

Last edited by Flip; 25-04-2021 at 01:13 PM..
Old 25-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #8
Luddite

So that was a picture of your new machine you posted back in February

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...8&postcount=56

I did wonder...
Old 25-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
Flip

Part Six....

Now with almost two months of ownership and a thousand miles under my belt, what's it like?

If I were taller or had longer legs my outlook would be different, my 6'2'' mate sat on it and had to sit half on the passenger seat to avoid his knees hitting the pokey out cylinder heads but being a shorty at 5'7'' with a 31'' inseam it is just about perfect for me and just what I wanted

To define it I would say somewhere between the BMW (obviously a lot less powerful) and the Harley, it has character with its transverse torque twist when it's revved at a standstill.

The brakes have bedded in nicely and my concerns over lack of power and only having once disc up front have disappeared- along with almost all my use of the back brake.

On the move it is surprisingly vibe free and very easy to ride with it's lazy old school motor and wide bars making it easy to scoot around potholes and sunken Ironworks in the road at town speeds while on more flowing single carriageways I would say that with it's 18'' front wheel and relatively long wheelbase I would say it is reminiscent of late 1980's machinery meaning you have to 'set up' a corner a little more than on even my early Monster.

However, with better suspension and tyre technology than those old 1980's bikes I learnt to ride on makes the Guzzi an enjoyable drama free ride at sensible speeds.

It is unfortunately furnished with the Euro 4 legalities (more on these in the future- hopefully) and other electronic silliness. ABS is obviously present on all new motorcycles so can't be avoided but I don't understand the need for it to have two levels of traction control both of which will have a little light flashing when accelerating over a bumpy surface with no discernible intrusion to the power delivery.

Perhaps this is what the younger buying public want and I know I have grown up without such things- this is my first ever fuel injected motorcycle but on a 52hp motorcycle? Really?

A pair of shorty Mistral cans fitted have liberated the muffled sound of the original Howitzer sized yet muted exhausts and make it look a lot better to boot in my opinion.

As I've said before, I am sure it will be the electronics that let things down at some point in the future but until then for the money I paid for it, I am going to rack up the miles and enjoy it for the lovely little bike it is.

So there you have it, yes I guess the 25% more power (albeit higher up the rev range) of the new 850cc model might be nice if you like the more modern appearance but the way the 750 makes it's torque on the road means it hasn't felt lacking so far and I would say if you're less than six foot tall without gangly legs go get a demo- you might be surprised just how good the little Guzzi is- there's still a few new ones in dealers heavily discounted to make room for the new models.

Read more here:
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...-special/2017/

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...guzzi/v7/2021/

https://scooters.co.uk/shop-category...es/moto-guzzi/

Last edited by Flip; 25-04-2021 at 02:36 PM..
Old 25-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #10
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Interesting read....I had a 2014 V7 a few years back and rated it. (I currently also run a Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor which has a 270 degree crank.)I'm quite a big Guzzi fan having had 3 in the past.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 06:29 AM   #11
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I like V7 useful mods are bigger sump ,,if it has not been done ,,also O2 eliminator ,,, regular oil changes very beneficial...

of course the Mistral cans also knocked 8kgs of the bike ,,,
Old 26-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
Nasher

Nice looking bike Flip, always good to treat yourself.
Old 26-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It's surprising looking at the R9T how much it resembles the original Monster, I mean copyright infringement really. But that Boxer engine is always going to lose out to a Ducati Desmo which is why I'm surprised you didn't go for a Monster 1200R?

You certainly can't knock the Guzzi on build quality but it's from another era really, just with some modern EU compliance added. It's outgunned in every respect by its rivals but I still prefer it over the Ducati Scrambler so I can see your point in some respects.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:20 PM   #14
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
So that was a picture of your new machine you posted back in February

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...8&postcount=56

I did wonder...
Yes indeed it was- I had it delivered mid February but had to wait until 1st March before I could ride it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
I like V7 useful mods are bigger sump ,,if it has not been done ,,also O2 eliminator ,,, regular oil changes very beneficial...

of course the Mistral cans also knocked 8kgs of the bike ,,,
Hopefully any major issues will have been sorted on the previous two incarnations of it this time around but certainly agree about regular oil changes seeing it only takes two litres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Nice looking bike Flip, always good to treat yourself.
Thanks and I have to say, I’m loving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It's surprising looking at the R9T how much it resembles the original Monster, I mean copyright infringement really. But that Boxer engine is always going to lose out to a Ducati Desmo which is why I'm surprised you didn't go for a Monster 1200R?

You certainly can't knock the Guzzi on build quality but it's from another era really, just with some modern EU compliance added. It's outgunned in every respect by its rivals but I still prefer it over the Ducati Scrambler so I can see your point in some respects.
I don’t really think the RnineT is in direct competition with the 1200R but with it’s air cooled boxer motor it does have a certain character although I am not totally convinced they have the kind of build quality to back up their premium price so would have been difficult for me to justify buying one to keep alongside my Monster.

I get that the Guzzi’s not to everyone’s taste but I wanted a lazy bike not a crazy bike but you are right, in many respects it is from a different era- maybe a bit like me too in some ways.

I’m not really sure what it’s rivals are-
Pick any Triumph and they all have a modern water cooled (albeit parallel twin) 1200cc motor, ride by wire throttles and rider modes.
The Yamaha XSR700/900 are very (fast) modern motors in a vintage frock (ala VW’s Beetle).
Any of the small Harley’s are your Marmite (mostly for styling reasons) motorcycles.
Which really does only leave Ducati’s Scrambler or a Royal Enfield being probably the other most authentic option.

Last edited by Flip; 05-05-2021 at 06:28 PM..
Old 06-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #15
crawsue
Bronze Member

Enjoyed sharing your experience, Flip, I had a V11 sport “ Rossi Mondello “ for a while, all carbon and “ Termis “ it was a hoot to ride and always turned heads when parked up, but the clutch was horrible and the FI was never “right”, so it went, with a degree of regret. Next up was (is!)a 2004 T100, last of the carb models, just the job for mid-week pottering, it came with Norman Hyde cans and I added progressive springs and Tec Scrambler shocks, transformed the handling....biggest joy is the lovely flexible and smooth mill and delightful gearbox...biggest gripe is the single disc...840cc and 60 bhp is perfect for mid-week “coffee” runs, big bonus is my missus enjoys it for West Highland touring...slight issue is numerous old codgers way-laying me with tales of Trumpet ownership in their “yoof “.
Enjoy your new biking experience....sounds like a keeper!
PS, while on a Mugello Moto GP trip on my ST1050 we visited the factory on Lake Como...brilliant experience , well worth a visit to this stunning part of Italia.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote