UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Trackdays » UKMOC Trackday 2011

Old 09-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #181
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Apart from the cat, I'm in the same position as you, MrsC.
....and I agree with JP's comments.....if ever there was a gentle way in to trackdays, this has to be it.
Then again, I believe that its possible to get circuit training at Mallory, and I believe the guy has a decent reputation.
I know Mallory isn't exactly local for you, but If you were to seriously consider this, It may be cheaper to book a session for a small group, rather than just one..? If so, I could be persuaded to join you. Maybe there are other novices around who would join in too?
But I think you'll be fine without it.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #182
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
For all you that have never done a track day before, this is the one.
First it's an all monster club event so you won't have loons on R6's trying to take Rossi's job.
Second Mallory is a nice easy circuit with fantastic grip.
You will benefit enormously from the experience and will want to do it again soon.
I'ts a trackday not a race, plenty of people will help you. Fear not.
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #183
scrapps

I did my 1st trackday at mallory with the UKMOC and No Limits, I was very very nervous and convinced I would be a hazard to all around me.
1st everyone from UKMOC and No limits were fantastic giving help and advice also helping to calm nervous people down and offer any help needed.
I was then very seprised how slow and safe the 1st session was with a instructor leading the group for the 1st part and no overtaking till later.
I settled in faster than I thought and was very aware of giving room to people who took longer to find a line or just to feel at ease on the track.
No limits has always been the best of all the companys I have done trackdays with for helping nervous riders and keeping them as safe as possible.

I am still a hazard but a faster one in the inters now
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #184
He11cat

is there a session for you to push your bike round ? .. poxy things broked again... I going to jump up and down in my garden wailing shortly ..
I may have to come and spectate
Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #185
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Thanks for that reassurance. Thats kinda how I hoped and anticipated it would be, but its nice to have it confirmed.
HC, hope you get the bike sorted, but if you do end up spectating, I (for one) would be happy for you to take one of my sessions (on my bike, that is), if thats allowed. I'm sure the buzz will still be immense, even with one less session.
So, all I need now is to sort some suitable leathers. I don't like a lot of armour, so my usual kit is a leather jacket with no hard armour other than a back protector, coupled with a pair of completely un-armoured western style leather jeans from Hein-Gericke. They don't zip together at the moment, but I'm ok with a sewing machine so I was wondering if that sort of kit would be likely to be acceptable if I fitted the optional, full zip which came with the jeans...? Anyone know ?
Also boots...mine have velcro-only fastenings. I've always considered this to be safe enough if I have the boots INSIDE the jeans, but what would trackday officials think to that ?
I guess I'll have to give in on the gloves and buy something a little tougher than my ultra-thin, goatskin shorties.
I have absolutely NO intention of pushing anywhere near hard enough to risk crashing my baby. ......but then again, adrenalin is a powerful thing !
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #186
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsC_772 View Post
I'm still thinking about it (Slob did quite a good job of selling it when he popped into Hilltop at the Wilting Hampster meet last month) ...

On the one hand, I'm slow, have never been on a track before and am afraid of getting in everyone's way. On the other, I guess the UKMOC is likely to be a friendlier track day for a slowcoach newbie than any commercial one open to regular wannabe racers with their trailered GSXRs and tyre warmers.

I'm thinking I ought to do a track based training course (advanced cornerning or some such) first, so that I'll be less of a mobile roadblock, but that would cost me another £300, then there's the cost of the Monster track day itself, and accommodation, and tyres, and maybe a track insurance policy in case I bin it. It doesn't help that one of my cats made a concerted attempt to bankrupt us with massive vet bills a couple of weeks ago ...

Will see what finances look like this time next month.
Mrs C - REALLY don't worry about the track day. I did my first ever track day on the Monster at Mallory with UKMOC. It was a lovely day and an ideal way into taking your bike on track for the first time.The lovely instructors take you round very slowly to start with, and you only need to speed up when you feel like it.
Monster owners are very careful and helpful and you will have no problems.
I hope to come along as a spectator as I can't take my Hypermotard on track and if you are worried I or any other member will be there to show you what you need to do, and give you a helping hand. There are also usually free instructors who will give you a short lesson to help you out if you need it.
Give it a go - you have nothing to lose. And if you enjoy it, then spend your £300 on further training to get even more enjoyment next time.

Anne x
Old 09-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #187
He11cat

Utopia thanks for the kind offer
sadly my shortest legs in the world would not reach the ground my bikes lowered and still too high even with my platform boots

I wouldn't trust me with a peddle car let alone someones bike.
I'd not have the guts to borrow anyones bike as i'd be terrified of binning it.

Honda crunch would be an exception

apparently I push motorcycles well ... No comment I wonder why (bloody uptight sparkly cretin bike ).
But I may come and have a coffee and a gander
Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #188
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Mrs C and Utopia, seriously... get signed up! I did my 1st track day at Cadwell last year. It was mixed, although there was a decent monster contingent from here, and I was probably in the slowest 2 or 3 in the novice group... but... I LOVED IT!!

JP's right, other riders do generally respect you and will overtake where possible if you are slower than them. Especially in beginners groups. There is plenty of space to safely overtake, and as it's not timed or anything like that people are generally not pushing past you (again, advanced groups... maybe...)

The great thing about a track day is that the other traffic is generally predictable. You know the rider in front is going to brake and turn in in XXX number of yards, and there will be no random U turns/slamming on the brakes for missed side roads/mobile users not paying attention etc so you can actually enjoy riding on a decent surface and some challenging twistys...

I'm getting excited already!
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #189
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by He11cat View Post
is there a session for you to push your bike round ? .. poxy things broked again... I going to jump up and down in my garden wailing shortly ..
I may have to come and spectate
The trackday is a LONG way off, we have the weekender before then.
Are you planning to be broke down all summer?
Get it fixed and book the trackday
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #190
He11cat

That depends on the bike .. As fast as one thing gets fixed another breaks !! I could have 3 m600s for what I've spent on that bike of mine ! Or an s4 ..if I have to watch so be it ! Cg 125 circuit hmm have you got all day it would take all day to do one lap
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #191
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I haven't got a monster at the moment but if there's a space for a 750SS I'm in :-)
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #192
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
I haven't got a monster at the moment but if there's a space for a 750SS I'm in :-)
Oh my lord! You are still around! Get yourself booked on and show us all how to do it fella!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #193
JerryT

That's it: form filled out, cheque signed and all in the post...

I'm booked up!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #194
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Zimbo, I'll put you on the reserve list for a late call up.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #195
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand View Post
Oh my lord! You are still around! Get yourself booked on and show us all how to do it fella!
Lol I'm old and slow these days Mand!

Thanks J.P. :-)
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote