UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Chipping

Old 07-04-2004, 08:57 AM   #1
Keabs

Chipping

2002 S4.

Who's had open pipes on and not chipped?

I've got open pipes and DP air filter on their way and have been told that I shouldn't put a chip in (as I did with my 748) - the ECU can just be quickly reprogrammed.

Anyone done this? or can anyone recommend a chip for standard open pipes and filter?

Cheers in advance . . .
Old 07-04-2004, 11:20 AM   #2
superlight3

Hi there.

Your S4 technically will need the Ducati Performance ECU which has the correct fuel & ignition map for the new set-up.

I know of a few people who have changed the exhaust/airbox but haven't changed the ECU and all reckon it runs okay, but not brillant at the bottom end.

The ECU can be 'trimmed' to richen-up the mixture, but you'll need to have it plugged into the diognostics computer to do this.

Cheers.

Lee.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
Keabs

Cheers for your answer, Lee. Much appreciated. I'll see how I go with just the pipe and airfilter when it arrives, then make a decision.

I thought I'd have to re-chip, but then was thrown when I was told about the re-trimming. . .

The thing is, the cans are road legal with removable baffles. I'm gonna be tossing a coin as to whether I get the mixture changed - guess I'll have to see how long I keep the baffles in :twisted:
Old 07-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Lee wrote...

Quote:
The ECU can be 'trimmed' to richen-up the mixture, but you'll need to have it plugged into the diognostics computer to do this.
Hmmm.... this kinda contradicts what I was told by a mechanic at OYB. My 900ie had it's EFI chip tweaked during it's 6000 mile service, to try tune it for the high level Sil pipes I run. The mechanic told me that most injected Ducati's run richer (especially bottom end) after open pipes are fitted, until the EFI is either re-chipped or adjusted to suit

Unfortunately I had left my Acme Bull****-o-meter at home so was unable to check if he was talking out of his arse

Gotta admit the bike does run better since it was tweaked - so whatever he did made a difference :burnout:
Old 07-04-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
superlight3

Richer or leaner??

Well, you plug the gas analyser up the chuff and see which way to go

Cheers.

Lee.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:38 AM   #6
steviej

Air cooled. 1998 M750. If I've got non-standard cans, do I need any 'mods' ?????
Old 08-04-2004, 06:45 PM   #7
Keabs

Just had a look under the tank and can see now why I've been told about the re-trimming of the standard ECU chip.

Unlike the 748/916 where you just swop out the EPROM chip, the Monster one is a sealed unit. This would make it expensive to replicate (with the simple EPROM chip you just "blow" another map onto a blank chip and plug it in).

Also I don't know whether you can get the DP chip separate from the Termignoni exhausts - the DP catalog on Ducati's site doesn't list it separately.

Steviej - It all depends. Your monster is a carb model so to make any changes to fuelling you would be looking at a Dynojet kit .

Whether you need to change the fuelling or not depends on what you are planning to install. You say you've got non-standard cans. These should work fine with the standard jetting setup without damaging the valves because you've not changed the intake mixture.

If you also have a free-flowing airfilter, such as the K&N or Ducati Performance ones you should definitely be looking to re-jet your bike. In this case, without re-jetting, the engine will more than likely be running too lean. This will cause the valve seats to run too hot and start breaking down.

A leaner running engine doesn't have enough fuel in the mixture to keep the combustion chamber cool (i.e. the free-flowing air filter is letting too much oxygen in). The majority of the "burn" will be oxygen, which burns hotter than an optimal mix of oxygen and petrol.

By installing a Dynojet kit (or any other larger main jets) you will be re-adjusting the fuel/oxygen mix back to optimal.

Some would argue that by changing just the pipes changes the back pressure at the exhaust valves and runs them too hot, but I don't believe it's enough to damage them.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:38 PM   #8
steviej

Cheers ar' kid...................................