UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » the joys of the balaclava

Old 18-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
the_adam

the joys of the balaclava

Well it was a bit cold this morning so Adam decided that the best idea was to wear a balaclava under his helmet. Seemed sensible enough really.

Except my helmet is quite tight and on getting to work I realised that I look like one of the clangers Non-knitted one may be in order I think...and possibly some blue string pudding Don't quite know whether to hide until the marks fade away or just sit outside and whistle at the moon!
Old 18-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_adam View Post
Well it was a bit cold this morning so Adam decided that the best idea was to wear a balaclava under his helmet. Seemed sensible enough really.

Except my helmet is quite tight and on getting to work I realised that I look like one of the clangers Non-knitted one may be in order I think...and possibly some blue string pudding Don't quite know whether to hide until the marks fade away or just sit outside and whistle at the moon!
Get down to your local WHSmiths asap. One of the mags (fast bike I think) had a free microfiber type balaclava this month.

There was also a subscription offer where you got a free kriega 10L tail pack. I’m tempted to sign up just for that…
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Tis' the season of balaclava's and thermal underwear, though if you're name is Gadget, you've been wearing thermals all year round.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
the_adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Get down to your local WHSmiths asap. One of the mags (fast bike I think) had a free microfiber type balaclava this month.

There was also a subscription offer where you got a free kriega 10L tail pack. I’m tempted to sign up just for that…
Thanks for the tip, might have to try find one

Just have to be careful with those kriega tailpacks if you put them over the top of a seat cowl, the bottom is rubbery but it still scratches. Also made the mistake of carrying a chain in mine for a while and it ended up snapping one of the brackets off
Old 18-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Wearing too thick a balaclava will stretch the liner on your lid making it loose
Old 18-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Small Clanger

[QUOTE=the_adam;407870]I realised that I look like one of the clangers

Try putting the helmet on first, then the balaclava.
Old 18-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
He11cat

Not as bad as me ... on riding to work one morning thought my head feels colder then normal today.....
Then I realised I had forgotten to put my lid on ......oppppps
Old 18-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
damn, I misread this and was hoping for a Middle Eastern dessert related thread

slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
the_adam

Mmm...baklava

I guess if I kept those under my helmet I'd be less like a clanger but more like the motorcycling ottoman version of paddington. Question is which mythical knitted creature would I rather be? Probably wouldn't keep the cold out so well unless it attracted a sufficient volume of bees though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by He11cat
Not as bad as me ... on riding to work one morning thought my head feels colder then normal today.....
Then I realised I had forgotten to put my lid on ......oppppps
I keep having strange dreams about doing that...haven't actually managed it yet though!

Last edited by the_adam; 18-10-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Old 18-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
He11cat

Sackboy from Little big planet ???? thats the only knitted critter I can think of ... or half knitted half paper fingerbobs.

Old 18-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I wear a thin Oxford balaclava all year round.
I don't find that it keeps my head a lot warmer really, but it does help to keep my long and somewhat straggley hair from flapping in the wind and becoming so knotted that scissors are the only solution.
Its a black one though, and it does make me look a bit like a paramilitary.
Also, it has a central seam which makes an indentation in my forhead that looks like a Harry Potter scar and takes ages to disappear.
Main advantage is that I can wash it regularly, so it helps to keep my helmet clean and fresh.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
the_adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia
I don't find that it keeps my head a lot warmer really, but it does help to keep my long and somewhat straggley hair from flapping in the wind and becoming so knotted that scissors are the only solution.
This is true, scissors ended up being the solution to quite an excessive amount of mine last winter... still, people seem to prefer it like this

I just need something as a bit of a windbreak really, Craft helmets seem to let quite a lot of the outside in... I tried one of those short oxford things last year that just covers your neck and mouth but really didn't like it, it wouldn't stay in place and ended up with a very offputting smell before long (yes I did wash it )
Old 19-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #13
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
What about a buff? Yes, quite. They're good all rounders, I have one that is cotton one end and fleece the other so I can choose what I get wrapped in.

Wearing a balaclava makes you look like you're wearing a pair of budgie smugglers on your face. Weird. Not nice.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
have you not thought of the idea of going in the car?

doubles up as a balaclava and a good sized tail pack

i will generally wear a buff, use a good fleecy one if really cold, but the thin variety i find keeps the chill from around the neck area, also have a Craft lid, i have the the fast bikes balaclava at home, but am yet to wear it, it looks a bit 'Gimpish'
Old 19-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
He11cat

Oh no .. Wait for some GT gimp photos
I'm actually freaked out by balaclavas seriously ..
I was as bad with snorkal parkers and am phobic of clowns!
Gimp clown would cause me on mass panic!