UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Obtuse Responses

Old 22-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Trent

Obtuse Responses

Why is it that some people feel the need to reply to a person’s legitimate question / post with a moronic answer / comment?

When I'm on a site, if I can't help or haven't got anything intelligent to add to a post, then I don't respond... Simple really.

I've seen a number of people ask a question and others post back simply saying "No Idea"
What's the point in that? It doesn't help the original poster in the slightest and (IMO) makes the person who responded look like a knob!

When people ask for parts, I suspect they know that they can get them from Ducati... I also suspect they are trying to save some money by buying second hand. We all know that loads of people have all sorts of parts lying around in their garages...
What's the point of replying with "You can get one from "Ducati"? You don't have to be Einstein to figure that out...

Phew... Rant over... It's been bugging me for some time, and I finally had to let it out!
Old 22-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I dont know how to answer this.But yes your right. I think that most of us have got caught up in the stupid answer at times. No doubt I must have been guilty. I do try and do a search for said parts as I did this morning for tyre valve caps and got 2 ebay links.

I have had many threads hijacked and regret even posting said thread but people are people and some can be cruel some can be kind.

Hope you feel better after your rant cos I do.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Trent - got out of bed the wrong side mate?
For what its worth, I do agree with you - but also am amazed that so many people dont use the search function before asking a question (oil glass milky, tail chop, has anyone done this or that to their bike, what engine paint and the like), thus making multiple threads on the same subject of a few weeks or more.......

C, needing a sugar rush methinks
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
No comment.

> >

Guess I look like a knob now

Sorry couldn't resist..................Valid points there
Old 22-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
I have no idea. Sorry couldn't resist.

Here's an example of where I've responded to a person with a bit of humour, which this or any other forum needs at times and then another post from myself with a technical answer to the problem.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...hlight=exhaust

I completely agree with you Trent "no idea" responses do not help but I think some people find themselves compelled to answer regardless of its value. A bit like myself with this thread.

I think threads being hijacked is more of a problem or issue but as long as the person gets the answer who cares at the end of the day.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
Why is it that some people feel the need to reply to a person’s legitimate question / post with a moronic answer / comment?

When I'm on a site, if I can't help or haven't got anything intelligent to add to a post, then I don't respond... Simple really.

I've seen a number of people ask a question and others post back simply saying "No Idea"
What's the point in that? It doesn't help the original poster in the slightest and (IMO) makes the person who responded look like a knob!

When people ask for parts, I suspect they know that they can get them from Ducati... I also suspect they are trying to save some money by buying second hand. We all know that loads of people have all sorts of parts lying around in their garages...
What's the point of replying with "You can get one from "Ducati"? You don't have to be Einstein to figure that out...

Phew... Rant over... It's been bugging me for some time, and I finally had to let it out!
I belive the "You can get it from Ducati" is aimed at me.
Please allow me to explain:
It is not common knowledge that this switch is available from Ducati, unless you get a good parts guy you will be told 'not available' I went through the same thing trying to source one and had no luck until I managed to get the part number (I seem to remember the suffix was different). The parts guy was then able to locate it and I had it within 2 days for about £30. I had the part number for the switch you want but unfortunately can't find it.

But your right I failed realise you wanted one for a fiver, thought you just need to find one, and offered directions.

If your broken down on the side of the road, that'll be me that goes sailing by waving my knob.

Last edited by Capo; 22-10-2008 at 08:56 AM..
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
As Capo says, sometimes we need to be told you can get something from Ducati - it is not always obvious to everyone, and sometimes the Ducati part is as cheap as non-ducati parts.
I tend to find the users of this forum very helpful. They often provide useful information. I am never afraid to ask a question here, unlike on some other forums where the answers are often unhelpful and arrogant and I am likely to get shouted down for my apparent stupidity.

Also, sometimes a silly response is all that is neded to keep the question live and around for a more knowledgeable person to answer it.

Chill out Trent.
UKMOC users are some of the most helpful people around.
Old 22-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
I'm not helpful.
Old 22-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
I'm not helpful.
present company excepted
Old 22-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
I believe the "You can get it from Ducati" is aimed at me.
It was indeed directed at you Capo...
Normally I have a 30 minute rule - I wait 30 minutes before responding to a post / email that gets my back up.

Apologies if I offended you Capo, or anyone else - I have the rule because there's usually a good explanation for the response given... (Mis-read the message, lost in translation etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK View Post
Trent - got out of bed the wrong side mate?
Exactly... I didn't sleep well last night, saw red when I looked at the post and ignored my 30 minute rule... Doh...

Right... Back to my chilled out self...
Old 22-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
scrapps

Rant

I must remember not to answer any threads by you then.(not for 30mins) I often answer with I dont have a clue but. you don't have to know the answer to point people in the direction of people who do ?
Old 22-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
I'm not helpful.
maybe not at home, but elsewhere you certainly have been J!
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Paivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK View Post
maybe not at home, but elsewhere you certainly have been J!
He even bought me lunch once. No dessert, though, and it was my birthday.
Old 22-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Definitely need thread focused non-polysyllabically dense responses ...

or not
Old 22-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #15
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Chill blade, this aint real life, there are much more important things to get uptight about, so it doesn't really matter does it?? It is a nice forum though and a bit of fun, no idea why...

And yes, I probably am a knob, still, nevermind eh??