UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Oil cooler / lines question

Old 13-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
darko

Oil cooler / lines question

well the engine transplant is nearing completion finally !

the new 750 engine requires an oil cooler - or does it ? does anyone know if i will need one for road use ? i do live in london so with traffic the engine could get quite hot.

I have decided to remove the lines that run to the carb float bowls (for heating) as i will be fitting different carbs very soon anyway. Can anyone tell me what size and thread banjo bolts I will need to attach the oil cooler lines to the crank cases ? the bolts that came out of the the 600 cases are a smaller diameter.

Even if i go for a cooler or not I will still need to put something into the crankcase cooler points - any help to tell me the size and type of thread very much appreciated !
Old 13-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Rockhopper

Did the 750 have an oil cooler originally? If not then you are in danger of over cooling it if you fit one.
Old 13-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
darko

i believe the 750 did have an oil cooler as standard
Old 13-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
sadbiker

Yes it did,

As for overcooling, we have fitted a oil radiator / Cooler to a 620 as when touring abroad we felt it was running a little to warm. Now my missus is much happier. You could by a complete oil cooler kit which had all the bits.

Your 750 engine should have a cover on the front cylinder at the top which has a plate coming forward with holes either side to mount the radiator. If not then are you sure its a 750 engine, as only the 620's and below had no radiator and no mounting holes.
Old 13-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
darko

yes it does have that mounting plate on one of the engine covers + i bought the engine from a forum member who is a thoroughly decent chap.

i guess maybe i dont need to get a genuine Ducati cooler however the kits i have seen on ebay look a bit rubbish..
Old 13-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #6
PETE.AKO

Hi i have a 750 sell me the carb heater pipes . peter
Old 13-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
darko

ill swap you for your oil cooler

i hadnt thought about selling the pipes actually but send me a pm and im sure we can do a deal

Does anyone have an oil cooler out there - please !
Old 13-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
carrot

Hi Darko the engine does need an oil cooler it got quite hot around london traffic . This might help http://www.protwins.co.uk/products_m..._engine20.html