UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Bike Trailers

Old 11-05-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
Rogerg

Bike Trailers

Sazza & I were thinking of getting a trailer for our 2 monsters.

I found these guys whilst grazing the interweb: http://www.bikelug.com/uk/BLtwin.html

anyone got one or any advice on another trailer?

Needs to carry 1 or 2 bikes, and be small enough to fit in my garage with the 2 bikes and all the other clutter.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
There's one for sale here:
http://www.bikegirl.co.uk/forum/foru...p?TID=987&PN=1

Old 11-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Roge

turning up to monthly meetings and ride outs on a trailer is just not cool........

Old 11-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Rog, try here

http://www.bikelug.com/uk/

they fold up so are out of the way more easily when not in use

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
JMo

That bikelug looks pretty good as a concept (and convienient if you can convert it/fold it), but conspicuious by lack of price? - it also doesn't look that sturdy?

Personally I like the Trelgo trailers - they are compact (not folding) but far more sturdy, and you can get a twin bike for £380 inc. plus a centre channel (if only carring on bike, or three off-road bikes) for another £35.

I use one a lot for towing the off-roaders, and they are dead stable, even at well over 60mph... ahem.

xxx
Old 11-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #6
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

There is a folding one you can get (not the one in the link I posted) and a mate has one which he folds up in the side of his garage. Takes 2 bikes & has been pretty sturdy - even in winds going to Pembrey & Cadwell from Kent.
I'll try & find out who made it.

C
Old 11-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
SazzaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK
Rog, try here

http://www.bikelug.com/uk/

they fold up so are out of the way more easily when not in use

C
CK, that's the one Rog posted up

Jen, the prices are on the website. It's about £750 for a 420kg rated one, plus you need all the other gubbins.

I agree that a 3 bike trailer would be better, but you've seen all the junk in our garage. TV, fishtank, cooker, Monster tails......

Saz
Old 11-05-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SazzaJ
Jen, the prices are on the website. It's about £750 for a 420kg rated one, plus you need all the other gubbins.
£750!!!??? - you could buy a van for that...

I'd really go for a Trelgo, and take all your junk to the tip x

xxx
Old 11-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
SazzaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
I'd really go for a Trelgo, and take all your junk to the tip x

xxx
I can see the merit in that, but we need a trailer to take the junk to the tip - oh the irony.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #10
johnafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
That bikelug looks pretty good as a concept (and convienient if you can convert it/fold it), but conspicuious by lack of price? - it also doesn't look that sturdy?
The prices are shown on the UK website Bikelug UK

For those who have space for a rigid trailer and don't mind towing it empty if their bike needs to make an occasional one-way trip our trailers are clearly not the most cost-effective option. Of course the trailer is aimed at a niche market, it isn't intended to compete directly on price with the many (some very good & cheap) rigid trailers that are available. But compared to similar (collapsible, folding) products we are competitive, in fact we're cheaper than all the others I'm aware of.

The trailer wasn't designed to 'look sturdy', with respect, that's not important as long as it is 'sturdy'. The primary design criteria were strength, light weight & ease of use. Most trailers are manufactured from box section tubes and angle iron, that approach might appear more robust but isn't necessarily and it simply wouldn't have allowed us to meet our weight targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
£750!!!??? - you could buy a van for that...
You could, but would you want to drive it? Does the £750 include insurance, tax, maintenance etc? Seriously though, we're actually selling a lot of trailers to people who want to carry track/trail bikes but are finding it difficult to insure vans for 'non commercial' use.

Our new two bike collapsible trailer is unique in the UK (as far as I know), it's the only two bike trailer that can be folded to fit in the boot of a car (it can also take a third rail for 3 trail bikes). It nearly didn't make it into production because we figured it was just too expensive but a few customers persuaded us to manufacture it, so there is some demand.

We appreciate the feedback; it is useful to know what people think of the products.

If Rogerg or CK & AK are interested in a trailer please contact me, I don't have much flexibility with prices but I will sort you out a discount.

John
Bikelug
email
Old 11-05-2005, 11:24 PM   #11
JMo

Thanks for the info John (I found the prices eventually btw. x) - I wasn't critisising the concept at all, it does look a nice piece of kit - only I know Saz&Rog well, and I was mearly suggesting that for that sort of money, and the amount of use they are likely to put it to, I doubt they would get the benefit, other than the compact storage which is indeed a boon.

xxx

PS. I agree, a £750 van would be a nail x
Old 12-05-2005, 09:04 AM   #12
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Cheers for the offer of info, but we have a van already
An 'old nail' (actually, its not so much of an old nail ) of an R reg '98 Ducato, which takes 3 bikes, cost under £800 to buy & has under 80,000 miles on the clock. AK, being a mech in a previous life (and part time too sometime) we didnt consider it a problem - and has been a good runner to race meetings etc.Takes 3 bikes happily, sleeps us in overnight where necessary.....

Horses for courses - we wouldnt want a trailer, as van trundles happily at well over 70 to meetings, and is more versatile for us & our hobbies

C
Old 15-05-2005, 11:30 PM   #13
nambduke
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Trelgo Trailers

Bought a Trelgo 2 bike trailer in DIY form for £275, so shop around. Only took 2hrs to fully build - instructions very good. Tows brilliantly. Easily adapted into a box trailer - lightweight wooden box cost about £25 to build. Would recommend. Spares are plentyful - things like ramps, hubs etc.

Forgot to mention....takes 2 monsters easily since the trailer is rated at 500kg, so taking into account the 101kg running weight, 2 monsters each weighing approx 185kg (ish depending on model) each, gives an total weight of 471kg ish - Don't forget, 25kg for hold down ties and some fuel in each bike brings a total of 496kg ish - close but within the trailer weight spec.

Regards,
nambduke

Last edited by nambduke; 15-05-2005 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: Monster weights
nambduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 04:46 AM   #14
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambduke
Bought a Trelgo 2 bike trailer in DIY form for £275, so shop around.
That sounds great - where was it from?

xxx
Old 16-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #15
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

new from here Jen:

http://www.towbarsni.co.uk/trelgo_tr...ke_trailer.htm

or try these guys:

http://www.armitagetrailers.fsbusine...ketrailers.htm

HTIOH

C