UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Monster S4 - Help!!!

Old 28-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
Bike magazine

Monster S4 - Help!!!

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. My name is Luke Brackenbury and I work for Bike magazine. For our February issue we are publishing a Buyer's Guide on the awesome Ducati Monster S4.

Aside from speaking to dealers, traders and owners I know about the bike, I would like it if the good folk from this website can dispense some of their knowlege on the S4.

I'm looking to find out the sort of things that go wrong with them, what to check for when viewing with the potential of buying one, what simple mods work well and anyhting else you may think is worthwhile.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Luke Brackenbury
Bike magazine

luke.brackenbury@emap.com
Old 28-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
carr01

S4 Running problems.

The only real problem I have experienced with my S4 is with starting. But this was rectified at the dealers, the mixture was left too weak after I had new termignonis, e.c.u and open air filter fitted. Some complain of poor paint work to the engine casings, but I think it's only minor compaired to the joy of ownership. It's also very easy to customise your bike with web sites like spare shack and of course this one.
keep up the good work,
Anthony.
Old 28-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Bike magazine

Thanks for your help Anthony.

Luke
Old 28-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
Mr C

Only problem ive had with mine is a leaking fuel tank caused where the hinge is welded to the tank, but that can happend to any Monster not just the S4. Full service history is paramount, then check all the usual things as you would any bike. Mine is a 2001 Y and has just clocked 10000 miles. Ive only had it since June and done 3000 myself. Its never missed a beat and been a hoot to ride. Performance Mods inc Termi's Powercomander K&N Filter and open airbox, feels alot more power through out the rev range and of couse sounds awesome.
Mine is wearing very well and the engine paint has stayed on.

Old 28-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
You should get plenty of advice here Luke...I understand another common problem that afflicts S4's is a leaky rear base gasket..

Cheers
Nat
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #6
A Yerbury

s4 owners do receive some gentle ribbing (which on reflection sounds quite appealing?) from the air cooled boys, remarks involving washing machines...that kind of thing.

hope that helps.

Alex.

ps.from new servicing is not cheap but given that this is presumably a 2nd hand buyers guide possibly not that applicable?
Old 28-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike magazine
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. My name is Luke Brackenbury and I work for Bike magazine. For our February issue we are publishing a Buyer's Guide on the awesome Ducati Monster S4.
Luke

Are you aware that the Monster is not a Jap sportsbike? In standard form they have less than 150bhp and speeds in excess of 150mph are rare. Are you sure that Bike want to cover it? :lol:
Old 28-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
MotoNik
Bronze Member

Bike: M600
Some of the water-cooled types more technically aware of such matters may be able to confirm or deny; I recall that the early S4's had an issue with plating coming off the rockers??

Aside from that, the usual battery acid ruining the finish on the cases (not necessarily just S4's though), and problms with batteries failing (high compression motor and weedy battery?).

cheers,

Nik
MotoNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
JR

You might also ask about what owners feel is right with the S4 - just to give a balanced view!

I stopped reading bike magazine about 15-20 years ago when your mag started its slide into a rag like the "Sun".
Old 28-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #10
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Been there, seen that, done it ....

I owned one from new and kept it for about 3 years. Used it through a couple of winters and really had no problems with it other than the paint coming off the engine casings - they all do that, sir. Some have managed to get them replaced / repaired under warranty but I personally put it down to my own lack of preparation for the winter months.

The main recommended mod is to change the gearing - can't remember exactly the gear combo but either one off the front (to a 14) or two up on the back (up from a 37 to a 39) worked for me - all without having to replace the chain. My memory may have got the numbers wrong but I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I've told a few mistruths here - whatever the combo is, it makes for a much better town bike.

As with most monsters, a steering damper is also recommended. Either frame mounted (cheaper) or the top mounted jobbies (DP, Arrow or Scott's rotary version) - all of which are expensive. Be aware that due to the clip on arrangement of the S4 (different to all other monsters ever), that no other top-mounted damper will fit (don't ask).

The S4 challenge bikes had radiator protectors but they aren't particularly pretty (neither the rad or the protector) so some buy carbon covers to disguise the bulk a little. Crash protectors were on mine but can't vouch for what exactly they would protect in the event of a smash.

A bigger bore slave cylinder helps with the heavy clutch (but not by much) so get used to it. I used it for town riding and didn't find it a problem but I'm sure it would be an issue for many.

Many S4's also had high pipes fitted for ground clearance and the Ducati sound. I think they released a bit more power but mine were predominantly for looks. The link pipes look like they'll burn the passengers feet but actually isn't an issue at all.

Other stuff (not unique to the S4) are the wobbly screen, poor steering lock, poor passenger comfort, rubbish Michelin Pilots (IMO), the big tailpiece which is often hacksawed off (a big dividing point here) and the poor ground clearance when pushing the bike. The standard cans touch down first, followed by the footpegs and then swiftly followed by your arse as you lever the back wheel off the floor.

It's not the prettiest of the monster range, but if you can get past the radiator and the plumbing, it's a lot of bike for not a lot of cash (especially at this time of year). Lots of fun memories and light years ahead of my previous M900 in performance.

Best regards

simon

Last edited by marchesini; 28-11-2005 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: rubbish spellink
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #11
JMo

A contributor writes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
I stopped reading bike magazine about 15-20 years ago when your mag started its slide into a rag like the "Sun".
Hey, give the guy a break - he's logged on to our forum to get some owners opinions about the bike, not to have his bread and butter slagged off... write to their letters page if you don't like their style, but you might be suprised if you read a more recent issue - it's the only mainstream mag that gives any kind of space to anything other that knob-jockey crotch rockets...

xxx
Old 29-11-2005, 05:25 AM   #12
paul620sie

I've puchased Bike for the last 3-4yrs more months than not. It was their tests of various monsters that lead me to buy my 620 in 2003. Many of thier group tests are not sports bike biased, I think the last issue had read ptched a Harley against Speed Triple and two others in the group test.

Come on S4 owners, give Bike a chance and supply some info, good and bad.

One thing I'd say is UKMOC is one of the best (if not the best) web based bike club, a must for any Monster owner.
Old 29-11-2005, 12:15 PM   #13
MotoNik
Bronze Member

Bike: M600
I don't think we should offer any more help until Mr "Crashenbury" posts some pictures of the Tamburini MV Agusta he crashed, that the magazine wouldn't publish!!!

Nik
MotoNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 01:09 PM   #14
Pugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_codling
I don't think we should offer any more help until Mr "Crashenbury" posts some pictures of the Tamburini MV Agusta he crashed, that the magazine wouldn't publish!!!

Nik
He did what? The shame...
Nice bike, but ridiculously priced at 30.000 I recall.

Never the less. If you don't like what the mag has published in the past, the least you can do is help this man out. He is obviously doing proper research on a bike we like. If not willing to tell the world why you ride a monster and love it, stop b!itching about crotch rockets this and that.

And of course...the worlds best owners club is a good reason to mention.
Old 29-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #15
claicerrig

Luke Brackenbury
Bike magazine

Thanks for taking the time to ask after our bikes.
Ignore the comments of the Aircooled Brigade Progress and evolution will leave them behind like the Neanderthals that went before.

I bought my S4 in Dec02 it was an ExMonster Challenge Race Bike and came with a Whole Host of extra`s.That were fitted to help it race and to show the Sceptical (See Above) world that a Water Cooled Monster could co exist in there Range.

I had actually gone to buy a Buell but the deal i was offerd on the Monster was just 2 good to turn down

£6399 otr with 2 yrs full warrenty (437Miles) A shed full of DP extras against £7700 otr for a standard S4 with Zero miles

A lot of these Ex-track Bikes were rendered Down to make a Cheap back to Standard S4 and all the extras went to Ebay To make it even better value

Mine is still nearly in Challange race trim but has been further modified with judicus help of the DP Catalouge Nattyboy and Spareshack And there is no point writing any further discriptions cos Marchesini has covered them all and i would just be repeating myself

Problems i have encounterd with it since purchasing have been

1) A missing front sproket retaining plate
2) A small oil leak from behind the front sprocket
3) A broken clutch spider spring (Bike came fitted with a Dp Slipper Clutch and Race Plates)
4) Lower wiring loom burnt out at side stand switch back
5) It has had 2 new batteries

All but the batteries have been replaced under the warrenty no hasseles at all

How much more info are you after ?

If you want to know how i feel about it its this

Its the best bike i have ever owned and i have been riding bikes Summer / Winter since since the 1980.In fact i cant think of a good reason to sell it to move up to the S4R cos it does everything i want and more

And this Club is the best bunch of helpfull people you will ever meet AIR OR Water Cooled