UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » do I need to get a service ?

Old 19-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
monkeypants

do I need to get a service ?

Hey all,
Been having loads of fun with my newly aquired monster the last few days but I guess now I need to think about the serious stuff.. its last service was june 2005 at 1500 miles, since then its done 400 miles (300 by me in last 2 days).

Do I need to take it in for some tlc ? if its just a case of oil/filters I could probably do this myself.

thanks guys

2004 620ie.
Old 19-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I should get the belts done ASAP, sitting without being run won't have done them much good. If you're reasonably cpmpetent with a spanner you should be able to do them yourself, along with the oil and filter.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
JMo

Someone is bound to come on and scream "BELTS BELTS BELTS" at any moment...

Ducati say the valve belts are good for 2 years or 12,000 miles, so technically they ought to be changed this year as they do deteriorate (eventually) especially if the bike has been sitting - but don't get hung up on it...

It might be worth getting a dealer to change the belts for you (and perhaps give it a once over) - they should only change you an hour labour plus the belts which are around £45 the pair...

Other things to consider in the service schedule are clutch and brake fluid every two years, but the stuff you have will have had little use (someone will go on about hydroscopic contamination etc.), but again, it's your call if you think the cost and effort is worth it right away...

Oil and filter you can do yourself like you say.

I'd just get out and enjoy the summer, but it might be worth sorting the belts for piece of mind sooner...

xxx
Old 19-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
JMo

Belts!

Hee hee - told you they would... x
Old 19-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
monkeypants

hehe, belts it is then looks a bit technical for me so I'll make friends with my local dealer, I'll get round to the oil in the coming weeks.

cheers v much
Old 19-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Monster in snapped belt scandal - shock - horror etc...

Make sure you get the belts changed!!!!

Daggnabbit someone beat me to it
Old 21-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
DavidEJM

Dropped mine in to Brancato Engineering and had what Tony called 'a new to you service'. I wanted the belts changed and he went over the whole bike and gave me a report on it. On top of which were oil and filter changes, clutch and brake fluid changes, re-shimming the valvetrain and adjusting the cold idle. A thorough job and he explained that, though the belts looked in good condition (and gave all the old parts to me which I thought was a nice touch) the rollers had started to shown discolouration (rust?) as it was clear that the engine had not been run for some time prior to my ownership which tied in with the other evidence.

A worthwhile excercise, in my opinion, even though it cost me £400