UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Flaky exhaust paint on 696?

Old 28-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
PeterPoddy

Flaky exhaust paint on 696?

If your standard cans are looking like this (Mine) -

All you need is some of this (About £4) and a sheet to cover the back wheel and swingarm so you don't remove more paint than intended! -

And a dollop of this -

And they'll soon look all shiny like this -

Which I'm sure you'll agree looks a LOT better...!
Old 28-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Snips

Looks better than original, good work!

[ Could lose the hotdog tray though ]
Old 28-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
walpole68

Mine are nice and shiny thats because they are wrapped up in my Termi box.
Old 28-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If your bike has such bad carbon deposits or paint removed so early on from new, to rectify this you have either:

a: have replaced std cans with termis (or similar) and had race ecu or fuelling checked.

b: gone back to your dealer as this looks like your bike is running too rich so fuelling needs checking.

c: had the offending item replaced

do NOT leave your bike like this or clean off if it is carbon deposit - there will be an answer as to why you are getting this fault with it.

edited to add: Just popped out to the garage & checked the std cans languishing in a box - it is paint on them at the ends, but I'd query with the dealer as to why the paint is burnt off

C

Last edited by CK & AK; 28-08-2008 at 02:36 PM..
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK View Post
If your bike has such bad carbon deposits or paint removed so early on from new, to rectify this you have either:

a: have replaced std cans with termis (or similar) and had race ecu or fuelling checked.

b: gone back to your dealer as this looks like your bike is running too rich so fuelling needs checking.

c: had the offending item replaced

do NOT leave your bike like this or clean off if it is carbon deposit - there will be an answer as to why you are getting this fault with it.

edited to add: Just popped out to the garage & checked the std cans languishing in a box - it is paint on them at the ends, but I'd query with the dealer as to why the paint is burnt off

C

Its not carbon deposits, it's paint, yes. But it's not BURNT off, it just FALLS off......

Each and every one of the 6 or so 696s I've seen so far has had the same flaky paint. I saw it on the one I test rode which had done under 300 miles and though "I'll clean that up if it happens to mine." It did, so I did.
Yeah, I could go back to the dealer and get them replaced, but why bother?
It would cost me more in fuel than a can of Nitromores, and take longer to accomplish than what I have just done.
That, IMO, would be just shooting myself in the foot.

All it is is a bit of cheap black paint. Why they bother with it in the first place baffles me (Baffles..... exhaust..... Did you see what I did there? ) I think it looks far better shiny then black.
Old 28-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post

[ Could lose the hotdog tray though ]

When funds allow, a short tail unit is next on the list now I've seen pics of one fitted, but I don't reckon the standard one looks too bad anyay
Old 28-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Bike: Other Ducati
I was going to say i cant believe they painted such a dodgy area prone to decay or used such poor quality paint, but actually i can believe it.

Looks good polished up tho.
Old 28-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Dave View Post
I was going to say i cant believe they painted such a dodgy area prone to decay or used such poor quality paint, but actually i can believe it.

Looks good polished up tho.

Thanks!

And yes, I agree with you too.

The silly thing is that it's bloody stainless steel! Why bother painting it in the first place? I love bare satainless steel. It always stays looking good, it cleans up easily and it just looks classy. I actually prefer stainless to carbon and If I ever get the funds together for some Termis (Not likely soon) I'll get the stainless steel ones. Snells have got a set on display and they are sooooooo shiny and nice, and a lot cheaper than the other cans.

In their defence, Ducati aren't the only ones that do this, but it's still a waste of time and effort. Leave it shiny!

Last edited by PeterPoddy; 28-08-2008 at 04:47 PM..
Old 28-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Peter - I did check & edit my post to say paint at the bottom

I'd still have taken them back - and then brought the shiny ones too, just so there is an immaculate std pair to sell on with the bike if you needed to at a later date.

Go for the stainless ones - much nicer than carbon (its soooo last year is carbon ) Have had mine on for quite a long time now - and they do look much better, as well as aiding performance too with the DP 'race' ECU

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Arbeia

Termi`s Termi`s Termi`s!
Old 28-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPoddy
Why bother painting it in the first place?
I reckon it's painted so it looks like the big black hole in a race can rather than a baffle.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #12
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK View Post
Peter - I did check & edit my post to say paint at the bottom

I'd still have taken them back - and then brought the shiny ones too, just so there is an immaculate std pair to sell on with the bike if you needed to at a later date.

Go for the stainless ones - much nicer than carbon (its soooo last year is carbon ) Have had mine on for quite a long time now - and they do look much better, as well as aiding performance too with the DP 'race' ECU

C
By the time I come to sell it, nobody will know the difference between cans with a dab of crap black paint or ones without.... And it's just pointless bothering it. I have better things to do than go back to the dealer every 10 minutes..... Like ride the bloody bike! (2400 miles since June 16th now)

I doubt I'll be buying any Termis this year, I simply can't afford them......And next year I'm getting married so I need money for that as well.
Old 28-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #13
StevieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by walpole68 View Post
Mine are nice and shiny thats because they are wrapped up in my Termi box.

Same here , best place for them , sound tinny anyway
Old 28-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #14
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I reckon it's painted so it looks like the big black hole in a race can rather than a baffle.
I think Slob's spot on with that one

As to why it falls off - same reason all paint drops off Ducati's. Crap choice of paint for the job and/or pi$$ poor surface preparation... IMO

I guess factory assume standard cans will get replaced before 1st service anyway?.... I know mine did

Last edited by gary tompkins; 28-08-2008 at 11:11 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote