UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Rear Brakes too tight / not fully releasing?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
damo

Rear Brakes too tight / not fully releasing?

Was cleaning the bike today (after a whole winter of non cleaning, that wasn't pretty..) and while the bike was on the rear paddock stand I noticed the wheel wasn't turning much when pushed by hand.
Using normal strength it keeps going for 1/4 or 1/3 of turn before stopping and the brake seems to make a small friction noise. The rear pads where changed like 6 months ago.

Does this sound normal or should I have a look at something?
I did change/bleed the rear brake fluid just in case after noticing the problem but it didn't change a thing.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
analogue_rogue

take the claiper apart and remove the pistons, remove the seals and cleana nd debur the edges.. you will find some corrosion looking stuff in there.. grease and rebuild and it will be fine... this is really common on brakes on bikes when they stand for a bit
Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
How much free play do you have at the lever, before the master cylinder starts pumping?
Brembo rears like quite a bit of free play compared with lesser manufacturer's systems,
they will overheat and lock up otherwise.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
How much free play do you have at the lever, before the master cylinder starts pumping?
Brembo rears like quite a bit of free play compared with lesser manufacturer's systems,
they will overheat and lock up otherwise.
When did you work that out? Was it before or after my rear locked up halfway round Clearways?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
damo

@analogue_rogue: it's funny though as I use it all year round as commuter, doesn't sit much unused. Problem is that I can only work on it in the street and I've never taken any calliper apart so maybe not the best place to start..

@slob: very little freeplay as much as I can tell, I'll check in my Haynes manual how to play with that then.

Will teach me not to clean it more often as I was at Rosso Corse not later than Friday eve and they could have had a look..
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
slob

Gilps, I worked it out at least a year before that!

Damo, release the locknut(10) on the rod that goes to the master cylinder, screw the rod(19) out to give a bit more free play and retighten the locknut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearbrake.jpg (29.6 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by slob; 11-04-2010 at 09:20 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
analogue_rogue

sureley out would take up the freeplay? it would reduce movement in pedal? or am i going mad?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
slob

okay then... screw the rod 'in' to give a bit more free play,
I'm sure Damo can work out whether he's getting more or less free play.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
damo

Cheers guys, will try that out tomorrow morning and will let you know how it goes!
Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #10
analogue_rogue

sorry wasnt being picky.. was thinking of doing it to mine to free up the pedal but confused myself
Old 12-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Gilps, I worked it out at least a year before that!
I thought you were my friend. I knew I should have taken Jerry Burgess up on his offer to help out.
Old 13-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
damo

Late update but it seems I already have some freeplay (.5/1cm) so it's probably something else.
Might have a go at removing the pads and cleaning what I can, otherwise will quickly drop by Rosso Corse one evening.
Old 13-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
slob

Just be careful not to lose the tiny clip on the back of the pin, otherwise it's quite straightforward
Old 13-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
analogue_rogue

like i said.. the pistons will have corrosion behind the seals.. pop the pistons out and clean it all up....