UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » NEW Sprockets and Chain

Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Flying Scot

NEW Sprockets and Chain

I am about to replace the front and rear sprockets and fir anew chain as well

and was looking at this one

Bike Torque Racing

Ducati 696 Monster 08-14 AFAM Quiet Chain & Sprocket Kit + Tool

Kit Contains:

1 AFAM Grade 7 Super Heavy Duty Gold XS-Ring Chain
(Standard length)

1 Steel Ognibene Silent Front Sprocket (Standard size)

1 Steel Rear Sprocket (Standard size)

15,000 Mile Warranty Card (UK Only)

AFAM Easy-Riv Chain Riveting Tool

Why Quiet?

From new most motorcycles are fitted with a rubber damper mounted to the front sprocket, which significantly reduces transmission noise from the chain passing over the front sprocket whilst riding. Historically these sprockets have only been available through the original motorcycle manufacturer and are very expensive........ Until now.

Ognibene Silent Front Sprockets

Ognibene have developed this range of high quality 'Silent' sprockets that feature a unique noise reducing rubber damper. The result is a significant reduction in transmission noise when compared to other aftermarket sprockets that no other manufacturer can offer. The sprockets themselves are manufactured in a strictly quality controlled environment to ensure that they meet the demands of the modern motorcyclist.

AFAM Steel Rear Sprockets

AFAM steel rear sprockets are the best aftermarket sprockets you can buy. Manufactured from high quality, induction hardened C45 steel with a unique tooth profile, AFAM steel sprockets are higher quality than original equipment (OE) sprockets. These sprockets will get the best out of any chain, but when combined with a high quality AFAM chain you can expect excellent longevity and high mileage.

AFAM Chain

AFAM chain is manufactured in Japan and is widely regarded as being amongst the very best chain in the world, it is extensively used in the every level of motorcycle racing. This Grade 7 chain is constructed with gold side plates using very high quality components and XS-Rings to seal the inner rollers. The result is a very high spec chain with excellent strength that reduces power loss in transmission and is very long lasting.

Thoughts Advice Other Recommendations ????

thanks

http://www.mackintoshracing.com/
Old 03-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
Personally I’m not sure I’d bother with the quiet sprocket (in fact I didn’t) especially if it’s more money than a standard one- there’s plenty of other noise for the sound to get lost in and probably only fitted from new to help with drive by noise tests.

I currently have Afam sprockets front and rear coupled with a DID chain on my 900 but no doubt Afam chains are as good.

Certainly Bike Torque Racing are great to deal with and very keen on price in my experience of them over quite a few years (way back when they only did parts for GSX-R’s in fact).
Old 03-07-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
I never knew quiet sprokets were an option. Just how much quieter are they?

I'm with Flip, theres so much noise I doubt I could hear a difference. Based on the reccomendations of others recently, I am about to try riding with ear plugs. If they work out then quiet sprockets will be surplus to requirements.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Flying Scot

I ALWAYS ride with ear plugs in so maybe the quiet socket is just additional expense that I don't need..i was hoping it 'might' be a bit smother on the drive line.. I il talk to them on the phone tomorrow and see what they suggest.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Exactly how would a damper in the sprocket quiet the chain running over it
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post

I'm with Flip, theres so much noise I doubt I could hear a difference. Based on the reccomendations of others recently, I am about to try riding with ear plugs. If they work out then quiet sprockets will be surplus to requirements.
I'm very wary of ear plugs especially if pushing on, had a couple of near misses. I'll keep the tinitus ta.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #7
Flying Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossleymonster View Post
I'm very wary of ear plugs especially if pushing on, had a couple of near misses. I'll keep the tinitus ta.

I don't know how old you are but that reply is just too silly for words.......I am industrially {not totally} deaf caused by working with servicing and repairing very high speed line printers without any company supplied ear defenders.

I can assure you that being deaf is a REAL DISABILITY and an invisible one, that people don't recognise.

The most complex clever and expensive hearing aids can not {as yet} fix my hearing loss, the loss of frequencies.

Being in a crowded room pub/hotel/restaurant is a total nightmare for me.

Plus my world now is NEVER SILENT!!!

Please wear ear defenders so you retain your good hearing and not end up like me.

I fail to understand what the issue is with 'pushing on' wearing ear plugs ONCE you put your leg over your bike you had better put your brain in gear and switched on, situation awareness is everything and I cant see how wearing ear plugs can impact on that in any serious way.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
That's me told.

As for my age, that's a very personal question.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Exactly how would a damper in the sprocket quiet the chain running over it
I believe the theory is that the rubber/silicon material cushions the links as the sprocket pulls the chain onto it.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post

No idea how much quieter they make things but with manufacturers having to meet ever more strict noise and emission limits I guess every little helps.

As for ear plugs, I’ve been using Moldex ‘Sparks’ for years now and have found them to be the most comfortable and not only reduce the harmful wind noise frequencies but also help with concentration while riding.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172389193801

Last edited by Flip; 04-07-2018 at 06:47 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote