UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Best forks to swap on my S2R 800?

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM   #1
yourguitarhero

Bike: S2r
Best forks to swap on my S2R 800?

Looking at getting new forks for my S2R 800.
L

From reading, it seems that the forks from a 1000SS are more adjustable and are the easiest to swap over. Is that right?
yourguitarhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
S4 or S4R may be a better choice imho.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #3
yourguitarhero

What makes them a better choice?
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
SS forks are longer than Monster forks, so you'll have problems from that point of view to start with. I think that the springs are a bit stiffer too?

So as Darren says, S4 or S4R legs will be much more of a plug and play solution. S2R1000, M900Sie and M800Sie legs would be the same, but make sure you get the adjustable version. 620ie would work too but not sure if they came with adjustable forks?
Don't go earlier than 1999 models as those will have different caliper and mudguard mounts.

If you found some S4RS legs you would be in clover, as I believe they had Ohlins forks and I'm fairly sure those would fit straight into your yokes, others might confirm this.
I think they will also have radial brake mounts, so you would need a pair of radial calipers to suit and also bigger discs. Then you'd really have something worth having.

It's well worthwhile considering fitting the bigger (320mm) discs at this stage anyway and also upgrading the calipers to Goldlines or radials depending on the mounting type on your legs. You need to just check the disc and caliper offsets as well if you swap, but you should be fine with 10mm offset discs and Goldline calipers. Radials might need a different disc offset.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; Yesterday at 12:19 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

What Gazza said really, more plug n play. I've got a few sets spare if you're interested. One set on ebay and some other less nice ones.

Message me on ebay as its easier to post pics there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ilmostromaestro

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

There you go. Dazza has what you need and not a bad price. Ohlins would be more than double that even secondhand.
He's even got a pair of discs that I think would go straight on, you'd just need a pair of calipers.
Actually I'm not sure if your existing calipers would work with a 320mm disc without the dropper bracket. If it's possible someone will already have done it?
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, you'll need the P30/34 or P4 calipers like those you had from me Gazza. I don't have any more sets but plenty on ebay Gold P4s were from mk2 Aprillia RSV and Tuono btw maybe others Ducati had silver for some reason.

Old Today, 05:39 AM   #8
yourguitarhero

Great stuff guys, Dazza will drop you a line on eBay.

Now I have to think about brakes!
Old Today, 06:59 AM   #9
Kato
Dismantled

WHY -

Would you replace the forks ? are they duff

Mostly across the range they are pretty much the same so your better off spending what you would on a replacement set getting good internals for the set you already have.

Unless as has been said you can find a set of Ohlins from an S4rs but then you will also need the calipers
Another option would be Ohlins from Aprilia RSV Mille, early ones used axial calipers so should be able to swap existing brakes over, later forks went to radial so again you need new calipers

RSV forks will be cheaper than S4rs but are essentially the same

Set of good used Ohlins are going to be around £800 -1200

Could get service re-valve / spring in what you have for half that money and prob end up with a better set up as will be tuned to your preference

There are a miriade of other choices that will fit depending on how much / little other work you want to do

Last edited by Kato; Today at 07:21 AM..
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:34 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Doing this on a budget is the thing. The S4R forks do at least offer some basic adjustment and TiN coating which the S2R does not. Andreani is an option but still not cheap and Ohlins are no doubt very good but tend to leak and need expensive rebuild every other year or so.

Old Today, 03:29 PM   #11
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Cheap is relative, by the time you factor in a set of calipers (possibly needing a rebuild) and discs (new as poss so they aren't pre-knackered) it is getting a lot more expensive.

The Andreani Miasano conversion is going to cost almost £600 but nothing else needs changing though a good idea would be to fit new seals and dust seals.
Then you find the rear unit if it's till standard is struggling to keep up with the now nice front end
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Kato has a good point regarding tuning up you existing forks, but not sure if this would impart any adjustability, so unless the builder hits it right first time you're stuck with that setting.
It's still well worth getting any second-hand forks serviced before fitting to ensure full performance.

Re the S2R brakes; I've studied some pictures and realised that it is not a dropper bracket as I had supposed, but rather a carrier for the sliding posts for the calliper. It seems to be one of those horrid callipers that push the pads onto the outside of the disc and this pulls the caliper on the sliders to engage the inner pads. So you can't do away with the bracket!

This means there are only 4 pistons in the whole system, the same as a single Goldline (4 pot calliper).
So the master piston will likely be the same as for a single disc @ 13mm (12.7).
If you go to twin 4 pot callipers it will increase the lever travel considerably and you might need to replace it with a 16mm version, correct for twin discs or even a 19mm radial master, some of which feature an adjustable fulcrum to get the lever action just right for you.
So it gets a little more complicated and expensive, but you don't need to do the brakes straight away as yours will still work as they did before on 65mm centre brake mounts with the standard (300mm?) discs.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; Today at 07:00 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:49 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Katos solution appears to be like Microsofts solution to everything and throw enough money at the problem and you may solve it eventually. We can't all afford £800 a day consultants with Teslas!

Old Today, 04:22 PM   #14
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bit of an update.. If you went for the 4 pot goldlines the S2R master would need changing too as Gaza points out, as I understand it the master piston is smaller on the S2R than that fitted on the 800IE by a few mm but still not quite big enough to cope with x4 extra pistons.
Probably any master used on the monsters to drive goldlines would be OK so from a 600/750 if you're happy with the coffin type or a 900/S4 or any model really if you want the remote hydraulic header.
I've never had any problems with the S2R's standard calipers with GG pads, the HH's always felt a bit grabby and not as progressive.

The Andrani option looks more cost effective once you add in all the extra parts to convert out.
Old Today, 04:23 PM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yes, the S2R800 has sliding calipers which were crap even back in the 1970's. I had some on an old Yamaha XS and had to strip and clean the pins every month or so in winter, not a big job but just a pita really.