UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » 620 cutting out on idle when, only when engine is hot.

Old 23-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
matthuds

620 cutting out on idle when, only when engine is hot.

Hi all,
Have been looking for an answer on the internet for a while now and have found very little.

Been happening for a while and even my local ducati garage didn't seem to be able to find the problem.

Problem:
Starts up and runs fine until the engine gets warm then lulls and often cuts out on tick over and particularly slow gear changes.

Simple solution is to keep a bit of throttle on a bit when I drop the clutch but not really a cure.

Cure???:
My best guess so far, from the internet and friends, is that the engine temperature sensor (pic,part32) to the ECU is giving a false reading and over fueling when the engine heats up?

Tried to get the sensor out on my lunch break and it doesnt seem to be the simple screw or pull i was hopeing, and i am not sure i would know how to test it even if i did get the bugger out?

Suggestions please:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (32.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 23-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Pomp1

to get it out is a circlip on the inside. Not sure how you'll test it tought..
Old 23-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
that fault is a classic of TPS out of alighnment , bike stalls at low revs or idle
Old 23-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Temp sensor failure is fairly common on the early injected monsters
Old 31-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
matthuds

Having still not got round to trying to fixing this, the problem developed even further last weekend and i am hoping it might help with further diagnosis with someone in the know...

Still idling like crap when hot however now the engine is reving up/sticking when i let off the throttle.
I checked all the mechanical throttle bit from the bars to the engine and they seem ok and moving freely.

Is this pointing toward TPS alignment issues? i am a bit weary of playing with that bit myself.

Really hoping to sort this soon...Ducati Alton have previously told me the only option is to re-flash the ECU and what seems to me like a stupid cost to just plug something into a computer.
Old 31-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Doesn't bode well for your local dealer if they haven't got a danny and every one on here is saying temp sensor.

How much is a new one?
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
matthuds

Yeh not to impressed really they told me a while ago i had a miss fire because of low compression and charged me for a rear cylinder rebuild and it was just a corroded HT lead

Not sure if this is Temperature Sensor or Throttle Positioning Sensor but recent event make me think it may be the later...both about £60 i think.
Old 31-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Temp sensor would not make it stick open.

With new development I would say TPS needs resetting but also throttle bodies need balancing.

TPS reset is a 5 min job while balancing bit more but no point doing TPS reset before you balance throttle bodies.

One thing why would oil temp sensor impact how bike is running I was thinking if any such sensor would impact it would be the one behind head light air temp/pressure.

Check connection to that as my 620 (with 695 engine but still about the same) was very lazy, unresponsive and down on power with that sensor disconnected till engine warmed up. Then it was fine most of rev range just down below was sluggish.

Let us know what you find I have a spare air temp/pressure sensor left over form my engine swap so if you know that is the problem PM me.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
my 620 (with 695 engine but still about the same)
You still sticking to that line
Old 31-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
slob

When where the shims last checked?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #11
Gilps

My money would be on the air temp sensor up by the clocks. If it becomes disconnected or goes faulty the bike willl run rich.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #12
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
You still sticking to that line
Well it did not go pop yet, I now have indicators, it is faster then I can go in London so no need to pin it 100% of time, I have termis to fit well and belts.

Seems good bike

"I am Lucazade"
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
Well it did not go pop yet, I now have indicators, it is faster then I can go in London so no need to pin it 100% of time, I have termis to fit well and belts.

Seems good bike
I don't doubt it's a good bike. Just not as interchangeable as was initially hoped
Old 01-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
matthuds

Ok, the bike is back up north at the moment but i will have a look for the air temp sensor. I have taken the front fairing off and my old man had told me that was a bad idea letting all the water in.

@slob shims were done about 18 months ago.

@Saint aka ML i know the temp sensor in the front cylinder relays to the ECU and was thinking it might be giving a false reading therefore bad fueing when hot.

Ill check the sensor by the clocks and see how it goes. Might just be a trip to a different ducati garage though, i need to see whats over london way.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
I don't doubt it's a good bike. Just not as interchangeable as was initially hoped
Might as it is morning what do you mean not as interchangable?

"I am Lucazade"