UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Float level 2001 M600

Old 16-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Icanopit

Float level 2001 M600

Hi, can anyone advise the "correct" measurement for the float level on a 2001 M600 Dark,
I set them to 14mm as per another recommendation but now have difficulty starting and when warmed up repeatedly spits back through the carbs/silencers with the smell normally associated with choke on or running rich??

Thanks in advance JOHN
Old 16-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
The Haynes manual doesn't quote a height. Anywhere between 12-15mm can work but no two bikes are the same. Was it running 100% ok before you changed the height? If you suspect it's running rich then the float height will need to be increased to reduce fuel level.

Also make sure you are checking and adjusting it correctly..

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...procedure.html

http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodd06.html
Old 17-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Icanopit

Thanks for the reply GT, yes the bike was running OK prior to "float level adjustment".
The measured level prior to alteration was 11mm & 8mm?? hence the reason I adjusted, used Ducatisuite.com as the float level reference.

Replaced air filter/plugs all at the same time the only real change was "float level", I will strip again tomorrow and recheck/adjust. Just off into workshop to make float guage similar to ones for sale???

Many thanks for the references, JOHN
Old 19-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Icanopit

Senility moves in mysterious ways? whilst stripping the carbs out for "another" attempt to resolve the fueling problems, I went through what I had done to start with.
1. Remove carbs
2. Strip/clean/check
3. Measure/adjust float level
4. Refit carbs
5. Fit new K&N air filter
6. Rebalance adjust carbs
7. Road test RUBBISH.
8. Scratch head and ask for help

With non mechanical or interested wife standing by my side delivering yet another cup of comforting coffee, she ASK'S "I thought you had purchased that Dynojet kit to fit"!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES you have already guessed, it still sitting on the bench in fron of us unopened, also with a pair of new float needles.

Off to get a new Zimmer frame and get myself data tagged in case I get lost.
If anyone see's a little grumpy old man aimlessly wondering about clutching a Haynes manual IT'S me, please point me in the right direction home, name and address on label round neck, HeHo
Old 22-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Dookbob

Useful things wives