UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » M1100S smoother running?

Old 22-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Recardo

M1100S smoother running?

I've had my 1100S for a few weeks now and I'd like to get the Monster a bit more tractable and less lumpy to ride around town, and not have to ride everywhere at 4k or above (noisy) .

I found this thread: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54450

I thought I'd start with at 14 tooth front sprocket, couldn't get the incumbant bugger off, then noticed it has "14" stamped on it. So its already got a 14T front sprocket and lumpy at anything below 3K / town speeds.
I have the ducati race ECU and open Termis, but noticed the exhaust servo moves when the ignition is switched on - should this no be disabled by the race ECU or is this normal on start up if its disabled in the race ecu map?

What can I look at next?
I assume I can get the Ducati race ECU reflashed for ~£300? I'll need to budget for that at a later date.
Anything else thats a bit easier on the already empty wallet?

Thanks in advance for reading my ramblings and for any advice you may have!
Old 22-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
I’m sure quite a few on here have went the rexxer map route to smooth it out.

You can get a bypass on ebay for the servo mines is a smart moto one. I think the race ecu bypasses the lambda sensors.

I went for a full power commander v and tune from a guy called stuart young. That was on top of the servo bypass and a ducati performance ecu whilst running a full decat pipe. Mines is probably as smooth as you’ll get a big v-twin. It’s happy down to about 15mph without lurching or surging and needing to slip the clutch.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Check the chain tension and how noisy is your clutch?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 05:30 AM   #4
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Give Neil a ring at Cornerspeed, he does a postal service for the Rexxer Flash, works wonders.

http://cornerspeed.co.uk/
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Check the chain tension and how noisy is your clutch?
What he said.
Old 23-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
Recardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p View Post
Give Neil a ring at Cornerspeed, he does a postal service for the Rexxer Flash, works wonders.http://cornerspeed.co.uk/
An option for a later date when finances recover. Spunked all my cash (and more the wife doesnt know about) to buy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
I’m sure quite a few on here have went the rexxer map route to smooth it out.
You can get a bypass on ebay for the servo mines is a smart moto one. I think the race ecu bypasses the lambda sensors.
I went for a full power commander v and tune from a guy called stuart young. That was on top of the servo bypass and a ducati performance ecu whilst running a full decat pipe. Mines is probably as smooth as you’ll get a big v-twin. It’s happy down to about 15mph without lurching or surging and needing to slip the clutch.
Will the servo eliminator make any immediate differnce to how it drives/runs at low speeds?
Where is Stuart based Ron? Does he run a garage, or a helpful & knowledgable enthusiast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossleymonster View Post
What he said.
Chain tension is fine - within tolerance. Clutch is fine - I assume, noisey in neutral (lever out), quiet when lever in.
Old 23-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
I didn’t really notice much of a difference with the servo bypas tbh. But it let me strip out the unit which about a kg of weight.

Stuart young is out at bonnybridge. He’s got a reputation as one of the best in scotland. He’s on Facebook, you can phone hime to ask advice no probs. He’s done lots of ducati’s so knows his stuff
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
chris.p
Gold Member

Check out my full report on having the rrexxer flash done at Cornerspeed.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50780

Neil from Cornerspeed also made a post on the thread as well.
Old 23-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
I went from an IL4 (Kawasaki ZRX1200R) to the M1100. The Kawasaki could be ridden on tickover at walking pace without having to slip the clutch. The M1100 will never be able to do that.

There are two Race ECUs. One for slip-on cans and one for a full exhaust system. The one for the full exhaust system disables the exhaust servo valve and the O2 sensors because the full exhaust system does not have them. The one that you have neither disables the exhaust servo or the O2 sensors.

Disabling the exhaust servo has no effect on the low revs engine performance. It just enables you to remove the servo motor and save a bit of weight.

Disabling the O2 sensors will improve things at low revs. They can either be disabled by a suitable remap of the ECU or you can use O2 sensor eliminators to send a false signal back to the ECU. Here is a post about O2 sensor eliminators http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=47415

It will never behave like a big IL4 engine. It will always be lumpy below about 3000rpm. That is the nature of the engine.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
A remap will deffo help with the lumpy/snatchy low speed running below 3000 rpm. Neil did my S4 with a PCIII/full Termi and custom mapped it to smooth out the air/fuel at tickover to 3000rpm. the result was a bike that was much easier and nicer to ride at 30mph.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
Recardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p View Post
Check out my full report on having the rrexxer flash done at Cornerspeed.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50780
Neil from Cornerspeed also made a post on the thread as well.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEye View Post
I went from an IL4 (Kawasaki ZRX1200R) to the M1100. The Kawasaki could be ridden on tickover at walking pace without having to slip the clutch. The M1100 will never be able to do that.

There are two Race ECUs. One for slip-on cans and one for a full exhaust system. The one for the full exhaust system disables the exhaust servo valve and the O2 sensors because the full exhaust system does not have them. The one that you have neither disables the exhaust servo or the O2 sensors.

Disabling the exhaust servo has no effect on the low revs engine performance. It just enables you to remove the servo motor and save a bit of weight.

Disabling the O2 sensors will improve things at low revs. They can either be disabled by a suitable remap of the ECU or you can use O2 sensor eliminators to send a false signal back to the ECU. Here is a post about O2 sensor eliminators http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=47415

It will never behave like a big IL4 engine. It will always be lumpy below about 3000rpm. That is the nature of the engine.
Thanks for the insight, most helpful. I'm not expecting a CBR levels of sewing machine smooth, but just know it could be a bit better, and now have more knowledge of how to - thanks again for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
A remap will deffo help with the lumpy/snatchy low speed running below 3000 rpm. Neil did my S4 with a PCIII/full Termi and custom mapped it to smooth out the air/fuel at tickover to 3000rpm. the result was a bike that was much easier and nicer to ride at 30mph.
yep - seems this is probably the best direct route to take.
Old 24-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #12
chris.p
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recardo View Post
Thanks!

Thanks for the insight, most helpful. I'm not expecting a CBR levels of sewing machine smooth, but just know it could be a bit better, and now have more knowledge of how to - thanks again for posting this.

yep - seems this is probably the best direct route to take.
Rrexxer flash is cheaper than buying a PC111, just give Neil a ring and have a word with him.
Old 24-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #13
holty

Bike: M1100
So, if your clutch, chain and sprockets are in good condition, your chain is correctly adjusted and you get a custom ECU re-map then you bike will run a smoothly on part throttle openings as any big L twin. Not as smooth as three or four cylinder machines but very acceptable.
It’s a fact that most moden mortycles are plagued by the emissions laws and in particular air cooled machines.

There are plenty of threads on this subject.
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #14
Recardo

A wee update.

Sent my ECU off to Neil @Cornerspeed back in June, got it back really quickly. By comparison I dropped my forks off same day I posted my ECU to Neil, somewhere local to get the seals replaced, they took 2 weeks get done....

So after a frustrating wait, I got back on the road for last weekend - and what a difference the remap has made!

The bike is far happier at town speeds now, 3rd gear can be used at 30mph instead of doing an impression of a bucking bronco!

Really happy, its made a great bike magnificent, and I cant get out on it enough now!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
chris.p
Gold Member

Glad you went down the Rexxer route, really works well with the bigger Monsters.