UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Handle bar Riser Advice

Old 29-01-2021, 04:28 PM   #1
MattyJ

Bike: M821
Handle bar Riser Advice

Right so seeing my Monster ended up with a friend of mine getting one too.....he is rather vertically challenged so for long rides needs the bars ideally closer to him and slightly higher as he is really stretched over the tank.

I was very happy to tell I don’t have this probably and promptly laughing.....but I would like to avoid his moaning on the inevitable long summer ride outs.

I can see the rizoma options but seams that needs new bars and also I am not sure if it bring the bars closer to him?

It’s 2018 821 if that helps

Cheers in advance for some pointers!!
MattyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You may find you need longer clutch/front brake/throttle cables* if the bars move much

* or whatever you call it with ride by wire
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
slob

something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Motor...-/164448117997
or angled
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22mm-Hand...-/174594515850
Old 30-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
MattyJ

Cheers Slob, they where my first thought until I noticed the the front and rear of the clamps are not level(Significant step condition)!!! making universal ones like this a no go. And I agree on cable lengths, I said to him 50mm max, nothing seams to tight at all at full lock so a bit of wiggle room there
Old 30-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
slob

There has to be a 'step', either in the riser or the cap. The taller side makes contact first and is tightened up, leaving a gap on the shorter side, it's tightening onto this gap that clamps the bar securely.
There are other solutions like (not necessarily this particular one) https://www.bikermart.co.uk/SW-Motec...ndlebar-Risers but they get progressively more ugly.
From an aesthetic point of view, I'd find some rearset footrests that tip the whole of your mate forwards, towards the bars but that's probably going to be even more expensive than Rizoma risers and 28mm bars.

... maybe you could hang him by the ankles overnight with weights on his wrists to stretch him a bit ;-)

EDIT: back on a serious note, message https://moto-cnc.com/ducati-bar-risers and ask if they make one for M821 (no idea if they're the same spacing as 696 etc & not listed at the moment) If he's lucky your mate might negotiate a discount for letting them use his bike to measure up for a new product.

Last edited by slob; 30-01-2021 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 30-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I've got an unused set like this (if not identical).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handlebar...oAAMXQJRhRZlS4
I can measure and or photograph for you to establish suitability if you like?

If they are any good to you, I'll post them for a tenner all in.
Old 30-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Funnily enough I was just thinking about starting a similar thread but for a different Monster.I have a S4RS and was going to ask what were the highest risers that could be fitted without extending cables etc etc.
After a look around this forum I think the answer was about 30mm but I'm sure someone can offer more advice.

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
There was a riser fitted to Norah when purchased- 45mm height - so I just fitted a pair of std Superbike bars - very comfortable.

I'm a 'Short House'- 5 feet 7 inches (and that's only my height)

ps. About to have an inch or three taken out of my seat!
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriswilly View Post
There was a riser fitted to Norah when purchased- 45mm height - so I just fitted a pair of std Superbike bars - very comfortable.

I'm a 'Short House'- 5 feet 7 inches (and that's only my height)

ps. About to have an inch or three taken out of my seat!
It will ride like a chopper with raised handlebars and lowered seat?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Lowering the seat will make the reach to the bars even longer, and the footpegs will effectively be higher too by the amount the seat is lowered, so it will be more cramped for your legs.

I wouldn't have thought it necessary to lower the seat if you're 5.7 as you should be able to reach the floor quite easily? They are quite a low bike to start with.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #11
slob

bear in mind the OP refers to an 821, which is physically bigger than the Mk 1 models
Old 31-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #12
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Just having a small 'trim' at the sides of the seat to round it off at the top slightly - had the it fully
rec-covered a while ago.
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #13
MattyJ

Cheers for the offer Mr Gaza’s but they won’t fit the 821.

Seems the Rizoma or something ugly are his options. He is short and stocky and standard seat with blocks out he can only just get both balls of his feet down, and with full kit on it doesn’t look too comfy for him!

I will also point him to Moto CNC as a tidy machine part that slots under the current clamp would be ideal.
Old 31-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #14
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
Funnily enough I was just thinking about starting a similar thread but for a different Monster.I have a S4RS and was going to ask what were the highest risers that could be fitted without extending cables etc etc.
After a look around this forum I think the answer was about 30mm but I'm sure someone can offer more advice.

Kimbo
For the S4RS, compare with the Monster City model hi-bars. You can still get those, but you’ll need a fat bar equivalent unless you change the clamps too.
Old 31-01-2021, 10:00 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post
Cheers for the offer Mr Gaza’s but they won’t fit the 821.
No worries. I have no idea what 821 handlebar clamps look like.

To be honest I would say he could do an awful lot worse than chopping the 821 in for an earlier model!' I know that sounds a bit drastic but the 821 clearly doesn't suit him, where as part of the popularity of the earlier Monsters (Mk1 series) was that they were very friendly to those shorter in the leg. Not only do the Hoop or Rod type suspension models start off with a low seat height, but they are relatively easy to make even lower with no ill affect to the handling or road holding.
He should be able to pick up almost anything from 1993 to say 2005 and have cash to spare from the 821 sale. there's a wealth of engine sizes to chose from in that era and no shortage of horses in the larger ones... The World is his marine crustacean..