UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Which Belly Pan

Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
bluestoesonnose

Which Belly Pan

Thinking of putting a belly pan on the M750 Dark my better half (so she says) has to help protect the underside of the motor and just to finish the lower half of the bike, Monsters should have them IMO. So which one is best any why, I'll be painting it matte black so I'm not interested in carbon?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
these are good. i've one, like your plans, painted matt black. tidy.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3102260743...84.m1438.l2649
Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
bluestoesonnose

Just looking at those, I'm guessing they just use the motor case bolts to mount them?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
I might have one of those in satin black that's surplus to requirements.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
bluestoesonnose

Sounds interesting, PM me if you're interested in selling it...
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
My bike came with a large bellypan, which had been fitted from new.
It did keep a lot of muck off the engine, but it encased the exhaust header too, so the heat couldn't escape when the bike was stationary, at traffic lights etc.
On a hot summer day in particular, I could feel great waves of heat rising off the engine.
So I replaced it with a shorter, monza style bellypan which leaves the exhaust exposed, and it seems much better now.
I think that JMo has recently had a similar experience on her bike.
The monza pan doesn't offer quite as much protection, but its not a lot less effective and is the better option in my opinion.
I fitted mine on homemade fittings such that the front of the pan was a little higher than normal, which looks like it gives a little more protection than it would in the conventional position, though it does slightly temper its aggressive looks.

ps.....like the yellow one in the link above.
The std fittings are little extension pieces which link to the engine case bolts, and are probably the simplest way to fit the bellypan.
Mine are more complex, but once fitted are much simpler when you need to remove the pan for maintenance etc.

Last edited by utopia; 03-02-2013 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: addition.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
bluestoesonnose

That was a concern of mine esp with an air cooled bike, to be honest I may only keep it on for three seasons out of the four as I see it as a way of keeping muck off the motor.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
The best way to keep muck off the motor is to fit a mudguard extender.. or don't use it in the rain

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSX...7607%26ps%3D54

Belly pan won't do a great job - especially the short ones
Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
bluestoesonnose

Vot one of those fitted but the motor is still getting quite dirty, the belly pan will be a belt and braces attempt at keeping the muck off
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Geoff Ives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestoesonnose View Post
Just looking at those, I'm guessing they just use the motor case bolts to mount them?
I purchased the one in the links in other posts but the fittings do not line up with the M750. It was easy to sort out with long 12mm studding suitqable tube for spacers and dome headed nuts but you will need to drill the belly pan.

I use it in conjuction with a fender extender and it certainly keeps the muck off the engine.
I also think that it may even help with 'top end' engine cooling as it directs the airflow.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
bluestoesonnose

Hi Geoff, many thanks for this, could you please post photo of your belly pan mounted to the M750?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Geoff Ives

Here goes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0061.jpg (13.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0060.jpg (9.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
bluestoesonnose

Cheers Geoff,
Looks easy enough to over come (though I may be making a few fittings and or brackets). I guess it's my ignorance but I thought the 600 and 750 shared the same cases.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
Cousin it

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hi
When I fitted my Monza belly pan to my monster I found these brackets that are the same as the ones supplied by Ducati for that belly pan.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Those are the std fittings that I was refering to....and cheap enough, even without the current 10% off.
Also, its probably a small point, but I would think that the pre-formed mounting areas on the pan would be a little more rigid and might therefore be less likely to crack than holes drilled in the flat areas of the laminate.
All things considered, £15 for the std type brackets does seem like the way to go.
Though the front of the pan does then hang quite low and it perhaps scoops as much muck as it repels.
Geoff's fitting looks to be slightly better in that respect.
Mine is even higher at the front, and also uses the preformed mounting areas on the pan ....mine came pre-drilled anyway. Mind you, it did involve making some complicated billet mounts, including one which even has an eccentric adjustment and a weird, compound taper. I also had to cut the rear away a little, as it then hung a little too low. It works great, but is a little o.c.d.

Dunno lots about model differences, but there is an earlier general type, with single phase alternator and different clutch slave system on the other side. Geoff's looks like one of these.
After around 1998 (?) there was a change to 3-phase alternator and external cluch slave on the right hand side.
I'm guessing that the same pans fit both types, and all engine sizes too, at least for the 2-valve motors. That's just my assumption though.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote