UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Tell me I've done the right thing...

Old 14-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
jon_h

Tell me I've done the right thing...

Hi,

Just about to pick up a black 1100 evo the end of the week from Riders in Bristol. My first Ducati having previously ridden triumph and ktm.

Any advice on owning, running-in, quirks, etc would be very welcome...

Cheers all,

Jon
Old 14-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
A great choice of bike there. Let the modifying begin! You will find that the fun starts at about 4000rpm and the engine is much happier there and above as well.

I can't think of any particular things you need to look out for, apart from to make sure you have the 1st service as some people have had their ECU's mapping adjusted to make them run better after a few hundred miles.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
A black 1100 evo......?
YES, you've done the right thing.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
mrober_uk

I picked up an ex-demo EVO from Wood in Abergele last week with 1200 miles on the clock. Have to echo the previous poster in that riding smoothly below 4k revs is a chore, but above is a breeze. Haven't stopped smiling yet ... and I came from a Daytona 675. I just love the little pops you get on the overrun when changing down also.... very nice bike enjoy!
Old 14-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Jon you poor fool... You just don't know what you've gotten yourself into!!!

LOL Welcome to the addiction that is Monsters

On running in, get it done as quickly as possible so you can enjoy the full potential.
Quirks, not as many as the older Monsters more idosyncrasities really, best called 'character'
Etc's, you're on your own with them!!

Last edited by Nickj; 14-03-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
jon_h

Talking Can't wait...

Mwahaha ... thanks guys, that's what I was hoping/knew you'd say!

I'd read abut the grumbling at low revs (did someone say something about character?) but I'm not too concerned.

I have a long ride planned for Friday, (Saturday and Sunday) so hopefully won't be long before I've done the 600 and can open it up a bit.

ECU remap after first service?... I'm off to search the forum.
Old 14-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
neilo

YES YOU HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING!

I've also got an evo, but haven't heard anything about the ECUs needing remapping...I certainly don't have any issues with mine.

Make sure the pending recalls are done (rear wheel, and possibly fuel lines), keep it above 3500rpm (ideally at 5000rpm on the 'move'), and ride it like you stole it!
Old 14-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
neilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_h View Post
I have a long ride planned for Friday, (Saturday and Sunday) so hopefully won't be long before I've done the 600 and can open it up a bit.
I think you'll find that upto 6000rpm is all you'll need to thrash the sportsbikes on the twisties! Because maximum torque comes in around then...
Old 14-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
jon_h

Damn!!

Riders called earlier and said there's a good chance i might not get to ride it away on friday due to the rear wheel recall. Wheel on its way from Panigle...hope they've express DHL'd it!!
Old 14-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
samieb

I saw an 1100 EVO with Termi's on leave with it's new owner. Sounded very good.

Have you done the right thing? Bl00dy Hell YES, Monnies are great bikes. So Enjoy when she arrives you'll be grinning from 'ear to ear'. ;0)
Old 14-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
mickyvee

Me and my new evo are going to a rally on Friday! They are great! You'll love it. I wish I'd got one years ago instead of wasting my money on a succession of crap Hinckley Triumphs.
Old 15-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
mrober_uk

Haven't seen a recall notice on the VOSA site for this yet? Anyone else have VIN number details? I know it's posted on the US NHTSA site, but no VIN numbers...

Make: DUCATI Model: MONSTER 1100 EVO
Model Year: 2012
Manufacturer: DUCATI NORTH AMERICA Mfr's Report Date: FEB 23, 2012
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V073000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: WHEELS:RIM

Summary:
DUCATI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011-2012 MONSTER 1100 EVO MOTORCYCLES, MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 17, 2011, THROUGH JANUARY 24, 2012 AND EQUIPPED WITH REAR RIMS MARKED WITH CODE DU6-RR. OVER TIME, THE SPOKES ON THE REAR WHEEL RIM MAY DEVELOP CRACKS.
Consequence:
CRACKS MAY LEAD TO FAILURE OF THE REAR WHEEL RIM, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DUCATI WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE REAR WHEEL RIM, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 7, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DUCATI AT 1-800-231-6696 OR GO TO THEIR WEBSITE AT WWW.DUCATI.COM.
Notes:
THIS IS DUCATI RECALL NUMBER RCL-12-002. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.