UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » From M900 to....

Old 23-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
Matt Black

Question From M900 to....

After Mallory I feel it may be time for a change. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to advise which Monster to go to to get a worthwhile boost, but below £4500

Mine own idea is an S4 but not sure

The one I have seen is 2003 in grey with 1700 miles on it. I know what they are asking but don't know what it's worth - if you know what I mean - I heard they were for nothing these days post S4R

and yes I know about the red one on ebay thanks

so question one - Good enough upgrade? - probably 20hp+ and smoother

but question two - how much for the one I've seen

any help appreciated
Old 23-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Or trade it in for a 600 and some cash... it's all about corner speed.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Bodybag

My S4 round Mallory was unbeatable! Go for it but make sure its been serviced etc, cos the 4 valvers can cost more when they go wrong (A grand for a head rebuild!). Four and a half should get you a perfect S4 and still give you money to spend afterwards.
Old 23-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
MotoNik
Bronze Member

Bike: M600
At the risk of re-opening the wet vs air cooled debate, have you tried an S2R 800 or 1000 - my money would be on a 1000 every time. Test ride a few if you can, it'll help you no end.

cheers,

Nik
MotoNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

It depends on what you like from your monster really, if it's bottom end grunt and midrange you like the carb 900 is difficult to beat following a few mods, much cheaper than a bike upgrade and much more satisfying! Hi compression pistons and a set of FCR41s, bit of porting, dialed cams, and the S4 will feel weak and weedy by comparison. The S4 has a far better top end of course, but it will lose out on low range torque.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
Matt Black

Hmmm

So that's either

a) Downgrade to a 600

b) Go and buy an S4

c) Update to an 800/1000 ie

or

d) heavily modify the existing bike

Thanks for the advice!!
Old 24-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
Zimbo

As a guide, my 900 can't match the S4 for top end power (84bhp versus just over 100) but the S4 even with cans, open airbox, and DP performance ECU, puts out around 64 foot pounds of torque peak, my carbed 944 has shown 69 on the dyno this year. Personally I get more satisfaction from having a customised "one off" that you've modified yourself, than from having a more powerful bog standard "same as everyone elses" bike, but that's individual preference I suppose!
Old 24-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #8
Matt Black

Well I have a reasonably one off Monster at the moment albeit cosmetic/bolt-on - Still haven't seen another with a 2 into 1 for instance

but the kind of mechanical mods you suggest are beyond me- I don't even know what some of them mean!!!

Just saw this grey S4 thing with red wheels and thought newer, faster smoother etc etc
Old 25-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #9
Zimbo

It will be newer, faster and smoother, without a doubt, and no hassle . . .
Old 25-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #10
Migsangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Black
After Mallory I feel it may be time for a change. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to advise which Monster to go to to get a worthwhile boost, but below £4500
On Yer Bike has a couple of S4s for your budget...and they look alright from the WebPage...

http://www.ducatiaylesbury.co.uk/used.php

Just a suggestion...
Old 26-06-2006, 01:22 AM   #11
Bodybag

If its grey with red wheels, its a Senna. Thats what I've got and its definitely the fastest colour!! Nobody could catch me on the track day (what do you mean its not a race!!?) but its also the best looking colour too. Get it, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on. Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will. Perhaps the football, drinking and unreasonable time of the morning are clouding my judgment?! Goodnight all!!
Old 26-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #12
Scotty

id skip the s4 / s4r and go onto the s4rs inc better designed head bit's but that will cost ya, id recon on the 1000 2 valve just for cheaper/easyer running
Old 27-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
Matt Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo
It will be newer, faster and smoother, without a doubt, and no hassle . . .
I know you are secretly despairing at my lack of ingenuity and mechanical knowledge, but I knew you could justify it to me in the end!
Old 27-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #14
Matt Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
id skip the s4 / s4r and go onto the s4rs inc better designed head bit's but that will cost ya, id recon on the 1000 2 valve just for cheaper/easyer running
In principle that is a fine plan but its a skip equivalent to £5000+!!

Think I'll wait 3/4 years and save myself £4000 for an SRS
Old 27-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #15
Matt Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybag
If its grey with red wheels, its a Senna. Thats what I've got and its definitely the fastest colour!! Nobody could catch me on the track day (what do you mean its not a race!!?) but its also the best looking colour too. Get it, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on. Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will, Ya will. Perhaps the football, drinking and unreasonable time of the morning are clouding my judgment?! Goodnight all!!

This is a well thought out argument. I like it.