UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Unhappy Monster Rider

Old 18-05-2007, 03:10 AM   #1
ALIMACG

Unhappy Unhappy Monster Rider

Hello everyone. As if I you dont need anyone to tell you to take care out there thought I would let you know of my recent misfortune as a warning that car drivers just can't be trusted. As if you did not know that already!!

Scenario: Riding home on a lovely bright evening three weeks ago and car driver decides to do a u-turn in front of me just as i was in the process of overtaking. No warning or indication. I managed to slow down enough to prevent me getting wasted but bike is complete write off as I went into his front wheel arch at about 25mph. I spent a week in hospital (bust pelvis, ruptured bladder , bruising etc). Now much restricted moblity and hobbling around on crutches - probably 12 weeks till I can get my leg over a bike again. Currently commencing paper trail for insurance claims, damages etc - pain in a**e. So my plans for some summer riding fun has been screwed. Suppose it could have been worse but I am one unhappy bunny right now.

Plod was usual helpul self - came to visit me in A&E when I was high as a kite on morphine and said as far as he was concerned it was an insurance company thing to sort out!!!

Hopefully I will be able to replace my baby at some stage with another Monster ( I love them) but it is just a nightmare. Got an Aprilia Falco in my garage that has been pretty well ignored since I got my Monster that just looks at me as if to say take me out but as said above my pelvis wont allow me to even think about getting over the seat.

Anyway enough of my woes. Just please be careful. Ive been ridiing for almost 30 years and this is the first time i've been properly hammered. Suppose that could be seen as a good record but the tarmac hurts!!

Anyway take care and dont trust anyone else on the road. It has been a sore lesson for me.
Old 18-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
sadbiker

Sorry to hear, I know the feeling I wrote my monster off last year when it let go going into a bend when the road surface had melted. Taking me a while to get my confidence back up.

As you say it could have been worse and hopefully before the year is out you will be back on 2 wheels.

So take it easy and get well soon....
Old 18-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Shandy

Ouch....

Sorry to hear about you off and the injuries sounds nasty, get well soon mate
Old 18-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
giler

Bad news, sorry to hear that. I think I ride pretty defencely on the road,
but you are right - trust no one out there!
Old 18-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #5
banditloon

Get well soon I have a mate in a not so nice condition too. Broken pelvis and also a broken back He's in traction at the moment, and hopefully be back before the end of the summer. The one thing that is helping his recovery is his bike (sitting in the garage, awaiting for him to get fixed).

And yes, becareful out there kiddies, those damn car drivers are being very stupid at the moment. The last 3 mornings on the way to work I have aquired my invisibility cloak and have had to shout at more than 3 or 4 numpties in cages, oh and a 40ft curtain sided trailer.
Old 18-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
Melnie Mouse

Oh dear poor you how awful, i don't suppose he'll take the blame will he turning in front of you like that?

good luck on speedy recovery and another bike and sorting all this out
Old 18-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
gremlin

It's funny we were talking about such things yesterday with a biker chum. He was driving a bright red 20 odd foot van last year and somebody tried to turn into the side of him. He was told they didn't see him, what hope have we got? I think if we rode pink elephants we'd still get pillocks who don't use their eyes for looking!
Old 18-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
sadbiker

When I used to do CCTV we were talking with the buffer lorry driver when we were servicing the Tamar bridge and even they get dozy pillacks going into the back off them. You know the big yellow lorrys with a BIG blue sign with a arrow and 4 very big flashing amber lights. Dohhhhhh
Old 18-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
adds666

Luckily in the 2 years ive been riding (yes i know Peds but still) ive never been knocked off. ive bailed off road on the KTM but even then only 2 little offs.

Quite scared of being properly mangled. Just neva know when its gona come. I wana go on a bike safe police thing to get clued up. might bring my 18 yr old 3 point insurance down a bit!!
Old 18-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
If you want so on road training, have a look at
http://www.rapidtraining.co.uk/e/home.htm . I've got myself a day with them in mid-June to help me learn. Only £140 for a very full days seems good value to me.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
Chappers

Get well soon

Really sorry to hear that!!!

At least you're alive and will be able to ride again but jeeeeeeeeeez...12wks left of hobbling around
Old 18-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
Diego

Sorry to hear about your misfortune m8

The reckless U-turn scenario is all too familiar. Especially by black cabs here in London!!!

Yesterday afternoon I was almost hit by a van that ran a red light. I managed to get away but increasing my throttle. All matter of nanoseconds. Would not have been typing here today if it hit me......

Anyway all the best and get well soon.
Old 18-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #13
Didge

ALIMACG,

I'm going to PM you some information, that should help you dealing with a claim against a drivers insurance in this situation.
Hope it helps.
Old 18-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
ALIMACG

Thanks for all your kind thoughts. It really means a lot. Hopefully i won't find myself too cautious when I eventually get back on two wheels.

Best wishes

Ali
Old 18-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #15
Paivi

Ali,

In case it wasn't the Davis v Schrogin case Didge was referring to, read it here. Car doing a U-turn infront a filtering biker; the three law lords found in favour of the biker.

Glad you're not too badly hurt!