UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » DP Dymag Spoke Wheels

Old 16-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
tricolore

Bike: Multiple Monsters
DP Dymag Spoke Wheels

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209338550...ht_4820wt_1139

I wasn't sure these ever existed ........ the pairs for sale
tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
PDS

cosmicknome was selling some back in march this year, on this site, dont know if they ever sold,

Its alot of money to invest in some wheels especially if you only do road riding, cant imagine you would reap the real benefits they give in "normal" use.

But if you want it, you got the cash (or credit card) why not, some people spend more than that on a ring.
Old 16-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Well as they are spoke I guess they would not be lighter then your stock wheels, I would expect them to way more. Unless someone knows how much they way I would say it is only for looks. Hubs in those things way a tone, all spokes together are quite heavy as well. However getting a set of 5 spoke carbon rims you would notice difference in road riding, mainly turn in but also acceleration and braking.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
slob

7.4kg rear, 5.1kg front. The rear looks nasty where it's been drilled for spokes. €3000 for a pair of wheels... about the same price as BST 5 spokes, which are around half the weight. The spoked ones are still quite sexy if that's the look you're after.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Dookbob

They looked quite nice at first, but like Slob I couldn,t help but notice the crap looking drilling to to take the spoke. These holes should have a titanium ferrule inserted into them.

Last edited by Dookbob; 16-07-2012 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 16-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
For whatever they cost, that is some pretty poor hole making for the spokes...
Old 16-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookbob View Post
They looked quite nice at first, but like Slob I couldn,t help but notice the crap looking drilling to to take the spoke. These holes should have a titanium ferrule inserted into them.
Yep the quality on those is awful for the money

I'll stick to PVM's
Old 17-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Phatty

They're pig ugly, why would you want them instead of marchesini's?
Old 17-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
tricolore

Personally I like spoke wheels to look at and that's all I'm interested in at the moment. Marchesini are on everything, if I wanted something really special then one of the other brands mentioned would be preferable.
Old 17-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Old 17-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I didn't like the finish around the holes. Looks a bit chattery . Personally I like carbon and the mix of carbon alloy but not at that price at all. Its a rob and never worth the gain in weightloss and being broke. I would prefer to put wire spoked alloy rims on mine for sure.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Getting rid of unsprung weight, and rotational inertia, makes an awful lot of sense, but as has been said, there are better ways of doing it. However, the weight of the hub is less significant because its at the centre of the wheel where rotational inertia is minimised.
They do look nice though, and I like the way that load is distributed more evenly around the rim with a spoked wheel. It just seems to make sense.
Bit of a bugger to clean though, and on a keeper bike such as mine, that's a life sentence.
As for the spoke drillings, surely there must be some sort of reinforcement inboard of the spoke holes....a steel belt or something perhaps.....? If not, then I certainly wouldn't feel confident in the knowledge that my wheels were held together by such flimsy slivers of carbon fibre, with or without titanium ferrules. It may be strong stuff, but its not magic.
I've seen carbon rims without the flanges, drilled through the rim itself in conventional fashion with a sealant strip over the holes so tubeless tyres can still be used. That seems like a more sensible way of doing it.
And then there's the dread at tyre changing time. You'd be hard pressed not to damage them.
They do appear to be cool at first sight, but less so on reflection. Possibly even uncool as they're bling at the expense of function. (though I admit that I was tempted by the ones cosmicknome was selling, at first).
All things considered, if you're after that look then I think spoked allys are the way to go.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Getting rid of unsprung weight, and rotational inertia, makes an awful lot of sense, but as has been said, there are better ways of doing it. However, the weight of the hub is less significant because its at the centre of the wheel where rotational inertia is minimised.
They do look nice though, and I like the way that load is distributed more evenly around the rim with a spoked wheel. It just seems to make sense.
Bit of a bugger to clean though, and on a keeper bike such as mine, that's a life sentence.
As for the spoke drillings, surely there must be some sort of reinforcement inboard of the spoke holes....a steel belt or something perhaps.....? If not, then I certainly wouldn't feel confident in the knowledge that my wheels were held together by such flimsy slivers of carbon fibre, with or without titanium ferrules. It may be strong stuff, but its not magic.
I've seen carbon rims without the flanges, drilled through the rim itself in conventional fashion with a sealant strip over the holes so tubeless tyres can still be used. That seems like a more sensible way of doing it.
And then there's the dread at tyre changing time. You'd be hard pressed not to damage them.
They do appear to be cool at first sight, but less so on reflection. Possibly even uncool as they're bling at the expense of function. (though I admit that I was tempted by the ones cosmicknome was selling, at first).
All things considered, if you're after that look then I think spoked allys are the way to go.
Theres probably an inner aluminium band. They probably lay it in there when making. You cannot get strength alone from the carbon. It just has to wear away and spokes will just keep getting loose. I had my wheel laced 6 months ago and not been on road yet but it needs a little tighten here and there.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
tricolore

There's no way I'm paying anything like the asking price. Interesting that the eBay ad states ' not for road use' ? What else would you do with them....

I've pm'd Cosmicnome, if anybody knows another way of contacting him I'd be interested to hear his thoughts and whether his are still for sale.

Interesting how many of us in favour of spoke wheels but probably for cosmetic reasons rather than function... Sport classic wheels would be the db's on a monster ?
Old 17-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=41976.15

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...topic=24888.15

http://www.alpinaraggi.it/en/catalog/50332

Last edited by gary tompkins; 17-07-2012 at 05:48 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote