UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Electrics question

Old 11-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
w108rna

Electrics question

Hello folks. I have a tricky electrics question and i was wondering if anyone could throw some light on it.

Firstly its to do with a Multistrada, but i think i'm the only person on their own website! I do have a Monster and have always found this site very helpful. Anyway, i digress.

I bought the bike last week in Somerset and rode it all the way back to Essex, 200 miles, fuels stops and no problems at all. (160 miles of trip in rain too). I went to the bike the following day and it wouldn't start. All the lights on the dash lit up, but when i hit the starter, it just made a single click noise and nothing else. I had a repair man come out and as soon as he put he hooked the bike up with his booster type battery, the bike fired up first time. I bought a new battery yesterday, fitted it this morning and still the same problem as before. All the lights come on, it then just makes a click when the starter button is pressed? Could it just be that i need to give the new battery an extra charge to make sure, or could it be something more technical??

It is pi55ing me off now as i want to go out and play on the new bike! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mark
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
bod

Presuming its the 620 version take a look at the stater soleniod very problamatic and can damage the contacts if you try starting with a flat battery.
Bridge the 2 thick red wires acroos it carefully without touching the frame if it starts you know your problem....was the battery fully charged that you were sold???
Old 11-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
w108rna

Thanks for the reply. Its the 1000 version. The battery was at nearly full charge when i bought it. I'm going to give the battery a top up anyway. Try the simple things 1st!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Does sound like the starter relay is unhappy be worth trying that first of the battery is up to a good voltage and holding it OK.