UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » M600 clutch slave

Old 21-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
boyse7en

M600 clutch slave

I'm trying to get my old M600 back on the road after it has been standing.

Clutch slave cylinder is seized solid so I'm trying to source a replacement on a budget.

I've started doing some research on compatible models, but I'm getting lost in a mire of pushrod lengths, anti spin pistons and throw lengths.

Anyone know if a 620 slave will fit? As these seem to be available on eBay whereas M600 ones aren't. Looking at the pictures the pistons look different (sort of a star shape, where mine is a black rubber seal with an 8mm hole through it).

What I hoped would be a relatively simple project is rapidly growing
Old 21-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Not many 600 engines have an external clutch slave on the nearside, so that's probably why you can't find it listed. Most, except for very late 600's use the Pantah type cases with an integral slave in the clutch cover.
So if you have the external nearside type ANY Ducati slave will fit, certainly all the "M" series and S#R and 69# too.
Oberon and factory racing are good brands and come with a spacer to make most of the pushrod lengths work with or without the spacer.
Old 21-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I suspect you’ll find more later ones,
‘94 to ‘97 for the old style, with internal clutch slave on the r/h side and ‘98 to ‘01 for the new style, with external clutch slave on the l/h side. Given eve increasing production numbers plus the introduction of the slightly cheaper ‘dark’ models from ‘98 onward.
However I believe Gary’s absolutely right, any external slave will do the job if you have one of the later style bikes.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
boyse7en

Thanks for the info.

Its a 1999 Dark with an external slave on the left hand side.

The bit that is worrying me is the talk of different length pushrods - if a later slave used a different length rod I presume I need to get the rod to match.
Old 21-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You don't need to worry too much about the pushrod length as all the slaves are the same, one size fits all. It will come with a 10mm spacer which I suspect you would fit for a 1999 model. The spacer is omitted if you have a longer (later) pushrod.
Old 21-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

+1 for the Factory Racing slaves, they are the same as the MPL ones and are re-buildable/servicable should the seals or piston need replacing.

Web site is not fully up at the moment though but contact details are there:-

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/reviews/vi...anyId=17995366

A lot swear by the Oberon ones too, but I don't know if they are re-buildable. A lot of the others like Ducati Performance ones or the cheap Chinese ones you can't repair them.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #7
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
A lot swear by the Oberon ones too, but I don't know if they are re-buildable.
I can vouch for the Oberon versions. Although they aren't home serviceable, they do come with a lifetime parts and labour warranty. And they're British, (based just 30 minutes from me actually).

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...ders_DCSC.html

Last edited by Luddite; 21-04-2020 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: website address added
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I can vouch for the Oberon versions. Although they aren't home serviceable, they do come with a lifetime parts and labour warranty. And they're British, (based just 30 minutes from me actually).

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...ders_DCSC.html

Factory Racing are in Nottingham too just down the road from me. You can get the pin wrench tool off ebay if you want to DIY.

Only caveat with any of these larger aftermarket slaves is you may need a bigger master cylinder as the smaller ones may not move enough fluid to lift it, but it will be dead light!

Old 21-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Only caveat with any of these larger aftermarket slaves is you may need a bigger master cylinder as the smaller ones may not move enough fluid to lift it, but it will be dead light!
If you increase the master cylinder size, lever travel will reduce but the effort needed to pull the lever will increase. Of course, if you've fitted a larger slave cylinder, which reduces the effort at the lever, overall, the effort may well be similar to the standard Ducati pull.

I've posted this table from Shazaam at Ducati.ms on the forum before but I can't remember where, so I'll repeat it here as it's quite useful showing you what the physical effect of changing slaves and masters actually is.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, seen that list before on UPNorth site or similar. IIRC my master cylinder is an early 916 type so would be better than the later ones '00+ which would usually be standard on my bike. It's marginal and I've found with just enough travel with the span adjusted to max that it works ok anything less than max and it does not engage the clutch fully.

I can live with it how it is for now, but ultimately I am looking for a better m/c, maybe radial RCS type but that's a whole pot full of cash that I don't have right now. I got a later Multi strada master cylinder to try but I'm not convinced it's any bigger and it is black so won't match my gold brake one but that's just annoying more than anything!