UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Stalling at traffic lights.!

Old 17-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
djkus

Stalling at traffic lights.!

Hi, dont know if its just the cold weather or i need something done to my bike..
past few days, i warm up the bike a minute or 2 before i go to work 30 miles on it..
used to sit at the first set of traffic lights with the rev counter just a little past 1 and sounding fine.

the past few days ive had to sit and keep revin` the engine.. if i dont, it will slowly start to stall, then i have to restart it.

sometimes when i restart it, it runs a little better for some reason and could be fine.

was ok till the cold weather this week. any ideas? how do i set the idle rev`s on the bike? maybe if i set it up a bit it would fix the problem.

please advise.
paul

Last edited by djkus; 17-11-2005 at 06:48 PM..
Old 17-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
A Yerbury

get some hot plugs dpr 8, buy some silkone pro fst then lob a dollop in thye tank each time you fill up.
Old 17-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
djkus

thanks for advice, what is it thats actually causing the problem? is it the cold temperatures as i thought? ran ok during summer.
only got bike so no idea how ducati`s cope during winter..

where can i get those things, cant see em on my usual shop.. ebay
dear?
Old 17-11-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
A Yerbury

hot stuff.

hello dear. pro fst available online...as more bikes go injected pro fst is less visible on the shelves, I had to get my local chap to order some then I bought 4 bottles for winter, not expensive, about 6 quid...although in theory Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) is the main ingredient? one day spacemonkey or myself will try some (it smells the same, is a main ingredient and most web sites -albeit for cars and planes- state the same) the dpr8 is an ngk plug, hotter than the standard dpr9....I am a genius of many things but some anal type like fosse may drop by and claim spark heat has little effect over winter? me, I just like buying stuff.

Alex.
Old 17-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
djkus

cheers, i must admit i know next to totally nothing about how my monster works.. as long as it gets me up and down to work i was happy enough. had it about 4 months now, had to do a lot more maintenence than i had expected since ive had it but ive come to learn that thats what ducatis are like. lol

ill see if i can get hold of some of that stuff to clean the carbs, cant do any harm. i think its time to start usign the car anyway, my thumbs were bloody frozen this am in the sub 0 temperatures, and ive got heated grips!
Old 17-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
klause

Im getting the exact same problems at the moment. Will have to find some of this FST stuff.
Old 17-11-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
djkus

very interesting article here which sort of explains exactly the problems im having! i think your theory was correct! I must get some of it to add to my fuel!

i was wondering, is the super unleaded any better than normal unleaded fuel to combat this problem>?
just fuelled tonight.. would be interesting to see.
Old 17-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #8
A Yerbury

fuel for thought.

I have tried both optimax and standard, there was an ongoing thing here a while back...very complicated and rather dull TBH. the silkolene website explains the what nots and how it came to be used? kwak racing team? anyway it works that is the important thing.
Old 17-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
djkus

yeah, im convinced thats my problem now from all the sites ive been reading. super unleaded also seems to help (from what ive read.. ) wish i hadnt of fueled earlier..
oh well, cheers! problem solved i think.
when i refuel ill let u know the difference.
a few pence a litre is nothing .. much better than having bike stall at a crucial moment at roundabout or something,.
Old 17-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #10
A Yerbury

hot hot heat.

get some pro fst though, manp.com or busters will send you some. going super unleaded alone will not (how does one spell elleviate) eliviate?? that alone will not be enough.
Old 17-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #11
nik_the_brief

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
get some pro fst though, manp.com or busters will send you some. going super unleaded alone will not (how does one spell elleviate) eliviate?? that alone will not be enough.
Alleviate!

Yep djkus, your carbs are definitely icing up as you've been told so succinctly by the esteemed Mr. yerbury et al.

There are a number of threads both here and on other sites about exactly this problem. Carbed Ducatis and (for some reason) Kwaks suffer particularly badly from this.

Silkolene Pro FST is the mutts nuts. Other cheapskates have suggested a 1% addition of surgical spirits to the tank but I go with what I know and swear by Silkolene throughout these chillier months. I've tried both 'normal' and 'expensive Optimax type' fuel. Apparently you notice a difference between the two with expensive injected Monsters but I noticed no difference whatsoever between the two apart from the additional expense. It certainly didn't cure or even reduce the carb icing at all.
Old 17-11-2005, 07:44 PM   #12
djkus

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...sp?id=356&pg=3

brilliant!

Protects against cold start wear and fuel system corrosion and helps to remove deposits from injectors, intake systems and carburettors ensuring optimum performance. May be used in leaded and unleaded fuel, for 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines. Compatible with catalytic converters. Fuels system treatment for petrol engines.
Available in 1 Litre.
Price: £8.18

look forward to getting it!
Old 17-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #13
scrumpster

Just started pro FST and carb heater on, but have to say mine still needed a bit of revving this morning, but didn't stall!! More Pro FST next time around me thinks!
Old 17-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
klause

Whoops, just found that my carb heater tap was set to off. REDEX also stops icing carbs, seems easier to get hold of.
Old 18-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #15
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
I can't see how Redex can do this as it is basically two stroke oil. But i might be wrong, I was once 'wrong' back in 1998 I have been informed, so it could happen again.
Silky Pro FST works by either making the water in the petrol miscible with the petrol so that it can't form ice crystals and ruin your fun, or it dissolves the ice after it forms. Either way, it is not 100% effective. It seems the more you use, the better it gets, but it can get a bit pricey, like. Start with a 1% mix which is about 185ml per tank, then double it if it fails. It is generally the moisture in the cold air that mixes with the petrol that freezes up. Windchill factor on the carbs etc compunds the problem. I have thought of butchering some of those cack velcroed heated overgrips to make a carb windshield, but couldn't be arsed in the end. I have also toyed with buying the electric carb heaters form Suzuki that they fit to the early SV650's. They are the same as the later leccy carb heaters as fitted to the last carbed Monsters, but are available seperately from Suzuki (about £40 or so) whereas Ducati would have to sell you the entire bike instead. These would involve finding a nice spot of the float bowls to drill the heater screw in and then dangle the sensor in the air flow under the headstock as on the SV.

Or just get a car....
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote