UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Look what I found in the workshop!

Old 19-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Look what I found in the workshop!

Evening all

Finally, after various DIY projects and one vw campervan build I got to tidy my workshop up properly and have finally got room to sort my 900 out. I'm rather ashamed to say it's been laid up since late 2007, the 1000DS came and went (no emotional attachment to that one), but every time I look at it, I grin like an idiot. I've had it nearly 11 years now (first bike sale at a newly established Moto Rapido) and wouldn't sell it for the world. I've been toying with a full resto but decided original used condition is best, battle scars and everything. Some of the bling that's on it will be going, with original parts going back on (anyone want Cycle Cat rear sets, let me know). First up though is a good clean and service and get it running.

So, for all those who've forgotten where this Monster thing started, here you go, one August 1993 registered M900!

Old 19-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Evening all

Finally, after various DIY projects and one vw campervan build I got to tidy my workshop up properly and have finally got room to sort my 900 out. I'm rather ashamed to say it's been laid up since late 2007, the 1000DS came and went (no emotional attachment to that one), but every time I look at it, I grin like an idiot. I've had it nearly 11 years now (first bike sale at a newly established Moto Rapido) and wouldn't sell it for the world. I've been toying with a full resto but decided original used condition is best, battle scars and everything. Some of the bling that's on it will be going, with original parts going back on (anyone want Cycle Cat rear sets, let me know). First up though is a good clean and service and get it running.

So, for all those who've forgotten where this Monster thing started, here you go, one August 1993 registered M900!

Jealous of bike and the space around it. Always loved your M900. Gorgeous..

Last edited by Albie; 19-03-2014 at 08:52 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
Goofle

Bike: M900
It looks well!
May I ask what the clutch / clutch cover is please? That's third on my list of mods I want to do!
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Thanks Albie, with a bit of spare time she'll be running soon!

Goofle - no idea what the clutch cover is tbh, been on there nearly ten years!
Old 19-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You lucky chap...Not too many "battle scars" from where I'm looking..!

You're doing exactly the right thing with her. She's just going to get better and better as more original bits go back on.

Nice Yellow hoop too...
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
DrD

I really don't understand this yellow hoop thing
- owner of never to be standard again first registered August 1993 M900
(although I do have many shelves full of all the parts taken off!)
Old 19-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
I really don't understand this yellow hoop thing
- owner of never to be standard again first registered August 1993 M900
(although I do have many shelves full of all the parts taken off!)
The yellow hoop comes from the 851/888 parts bin, as does the swing arm and a fair chunk of the basic frame.
Old 19-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
The yellow hoop comes from the 851/888 parts bin, as does the swing arm and a fair chunk of the basic frame.
Oh that I know but I don't know why it has to be yellow other than to match a pucky Ohlins colour scheme which was not standard fitment on the first monster, the M900.
- Beyond that its the growing trend for "a yellow hoop is good thing" I don't get.
Face it the original Il Mostro (which mine was) was a bin parts special - and there are all sorts of things you can do to improve it (including Kato's 851/888 forks which I am trying to forget about)
Old 20-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
pegboy

Looks like it just rolled off the modified production line, lovely bike
Old 20-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Jealous of bike and the space around it. Always loved your M900. Gorgeous..
And you can enjoy a sauna whilst working on the bike.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Face it the original Il Mostro (which mine was) was a bin parts special - and there are all sorts of things you can do to improve it (including Kato's 851/888 forks which I am trying to forget about)
You're not wrong, I've compared mine to Crusts and SpaceMonkey's 93 bikes and there's a good few differences. Weirdly, Crusts is about 5 months newer than mine by reg date but the chassis number is much lower - reckon stock control in 93 was a bit iffy!
Old 20-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Oh that I know but I don't know why it has to be yellow other than to match a pucky Ohlins colour scheme which was not standard fitment on the first monster, the M900.
- Beyond that its the growing trend for "a yellow hoop is good thing" I don't get.
The Yellow hoop thing is not a big deal (for me anyway). It always gives me a little glint in my eye when I see one though. It's a little bit of history and a very quirky Monster thing.

If I had a '93, I would most definatly keep the Yellow hoop, or make it Yellow if it was not already. It is of course entirely up to each owner what they do with thiers, but it still makes me smile if it has been kept Yellow...A bit in the same way as when I notice the marks on the kitchen wall, where we measured our childrens hieghts as they grew up.

I'm not against changing bikes about a bit, and I've done my fair share of that over the years (still doing it.!). There are certain cases however where a nice old model with an honest patina of continual care and use, still carrying it's original parts and colours, has a special value.
I got so much pleasure out of my very original 1975 Moto Morini 31/2 Sport (even if the side panels were not a matching pair..), and also my 1965 AJS 250 lightwieght. Both of those I looked after with respect to thier originality, while other bikes got the total rebuild treatment or some major cosmetic and mechanical make overs.

A Yellow hoop is like a little signal that draws me in to see if I can spot any more original features, and maybe discover another well loved old bike that has survived through continual use and care.

So you see it's just a little personal pleasure to do with my affection for Monsters, and it's rather warming to know that a few others feel something simillar....But heaven forbid it become compulsory....

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 20-03-2014 at 07:03 PM..
Old 20-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #13
DrD

GASA, I know what you mean. Guy at work arrived the other day on his 1934 Norton - even has got the original (and now rusty) bolts on. Patina does not even cover that one!
Old 20-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

WOW...!! That's Eighty years old...

...Can you imagine someone rolling up on a Monster in 60 years time..(wonder what colour the hoop would go by then..?)
Old 20-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #15
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Gaza that post almost brought a tear to my eye, it seems I have a heart after all

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote