UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New owner to be...

Old 24-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
desmobob

New owner to be...

Hi all,

New to monsters but previously owned 900ss, 1000mts and a 1100mts, and am in the process of buying a 2011 m1100s (is that the right way to shorten it?)

Hopefully I won't bug you too much when asking bone questions!

Here's the first... What specifically should I be looking out for when I inspect the bike, and what are the best mods to carry out?

Anyway I look forward to getting to know you all.

ATB

Bob
Old 24-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Hi and welcome

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
garry

hello bob..
Old 25-05-2015, 05:24 AM   #4
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Welcome Bob.

The best mods for your bike are the ones that you like. We're all different and what I would do to your bike might not be your cup of tea. However I'll tell you what I would probably do to an M1100S if I had one and had the money to do the mods.

I used to own an M1100, did about 15,000 miles on it in about 2 years and now own an M1100evo which I've done about 16,500 miles on in 3 years.

Touring seat - the stock seat crushed my plums
Mirrors - I couldn't see anything useful out of the stock ones above 30mph
Foot pegs - if you ride in the wet the stock pegs offer a level of grip equivalent to ice
Indicators - you're bound to break a rear indicator mounting, everyone does, so just replace them with smaller LED ones before you find yourself in the middle of nowhere wondering how to reattach a dangling rear indicator
Tail Tidy - it looks better, but if you ride on wet roads expect your back (and the rear of the bike) to get very dirty very quickly
O2 sensor eliminators - the cheapest way to sort out the fuelling at low revs
ECU remap - if you want to really get the engine behaving how it was designed to or however you want it to be
Gearing - a 14T front sprocket or up 2 or 3 teeth on the rear is a common mod to resolve Ducati's unnecessarily high gearing
Exhaust - you've got to make it sound nice and loud haven't you. Carbon cans don't get as hot, so are probably a good option if you regularly carry a pillion or drape luggage over the back of your bike

I could probably go on and on. There are lots of things that you could do to the bike to make it your own.

You will find that the headlight is rubbish, even with good bulbs. There isn't really an easy mod for that unfortunately. If you're a bit stupid like me you'll think that fitting a standard 7" round headlight is the way forward. Yes, backwards is the new forwards. Once I've finished cutting and bending lots of intricately shaped bits of aluminium to mount everything from I'll find out if I am mad or a genius. Either way I'll be happy.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote