UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Forks back - now tyres

Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
griffs

Forks back - now tyres

I just had my forks re-chromed by Philpots.

Decided to have the axle clamps powder coated. Pleased with the finish as the bike is black.

What to do with the tyres??? They have no mileage on them, but have stood in a garage for 5 years. They feel hard (Dunlops). Should I replace, or will they be OK after some careful scrubbing in.

If I replace, any recommendations? Lots of individual preference out there. What I want is security in the wet as a prime factor. I don't push it hard on corners or go to track days, so just a decent commutor tyre.

Or non at all and leave my originals on.

Grateful for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013 (2).jpg (30.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
After 5 years I'd definitely changes them, I imagine the rubber is well dried out and they'll be starting to show signs of cracking especially where the weight of the bike has been on them. Check the sidewalls for a 4 digit manufacture code (eg 2005 means they were made in week 20 of '05 and may be considerably older than the 5 years you think...

Michelin Pilot Road
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
griffs

thanks.

I just remembered that the bike is a 2002 with original tyres, so tires could be older.

Looks like it is a no brainer then with 10 year old tyres?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

They'll be 207s then I suppose, which were OK tyres in their day but rubbish in the wet! I'd replace them, the current Dunlop range is good, or as Slob suggests, Michelin Pilot Road 3s are excellent in the wet and the dry and get good wear, they're quite expensive but if you're going to keep the bike they're worth it!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
jerry
Old Git

Roadsmarts , Qualifier 2, are excellent .D207 were good but 5 years its time to dump em
Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
griffs

Ok the old ones are history.

Pilot 3 are 125 euro. I don't know if that is cheap or not.

Did anyone like my forks
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Nice job on the forks

Good decision to ditch the old rubber

FWIW the DD racers use Dunlop Sportmax control tyres which perform very well on track
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0099.jpg (31.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by gary tompkins; 12-03-2012 at 11:35 AM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Nottsbiker

Can I ask how much you paid for the chrome?

Mine will need doing at some point so I'm just compiling a list right now
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
griffs

396 pounds.

That included dissasembly, new seals, powder coating, reassenbly and shipping to Netherlands.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I agree that the tyres will be hardened and past their best but, skinflint that I am, I would still use them, at least for a short while.
They may no longer be top grade rubber but they'll still be way better than the stuff we used to run around on in the 70s.
You'll probably have plenty of other calls on your cash to get the bike up and running and tweeked to your satisfaction. You can change the tyres easily enough at any time.
Thats what I did with the 5yr old tyres on mine when I bought it, and didn't really notice too much problem with them in the first couple of thousand miles while getting used to the bike.
But if cash is not an issue, then I'd change them for Pilot Road Threes.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffs View Post
Ok the old ones are history.

Pilot 3 are 125 euro. I don't know if that is cheap or not.

Did anyone like my forks
Is that each, or for the pair? If it's for a pair that's very reasonable ....
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
griffs

Each.

But a mate just directed me to an internet site here in NL and they are much cheaper. Just means I need to find somewhere to get them fitted. http://www.motorbandenmarkt.nl/

Site is in Dutch, but self explanitory when you look at the pulldown content and then press on seek your tyres (zoek uw banden).

Prices over here are generally more expensive for bike parts. My 2002 would sell for 3.5K euro.

Tempted with the P3 as they have good write-ups. I have some BTs on my XJ600 but there seem to be wearing quickly.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I agree that the tyres will be hardened and past their best but, skinflint that I am, I would still use them, at least for a short while.
They may no longer be top grade rubber but they'll still be way better than the stuff we used to run around on in the 70s.
You'll probably have plenty of other calls on your cash to get the bike up and running and tweeked to your satisfaction. You can change the tyres easily enough at any time.
Thats what I did with the 5yr old tyres on mine when I bought it, and didn't really notice too much problem with them in the first couple of thousand miles while getting used to the bike.
But if cash is not an issue, then I'd change them for Pilot Road Threes.
My M600 had D205's on it when I got it in 1999. They were the O/E fitment and because the bike had only done 1800 miles, barely worn in. However the fun started the first time I used the bike in the wet. Those 5 year old tyres were absolutely lethal. After many pant filling near misses, I quickly decided to get new rubber. The Pirelli Dragon evo's I stuck on transformed the handling, and actually gripped better (wet roads + greasy and unscrubbed tyres) than the old Dunlops. Best £200 I ever spent on a monster.

Last edited by gary tompkins; 12-03-2012 at 04:43 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yep. Gary's points are 100%.
I didn't mean to overstate my case for being frugal.
Just thought that at this time of year, it might be worth squeezing a few dry summer miles from the old ones before chucking them away.
Then again, we're not talking about english weather here are we ? I wasn't really taking that into account.
Dare I tell you that the front rubber on my Dominator is 15yrs old ?

And now I'm starting to wonder whether older style compounds, perhaps with more natural rubber and less silica, retain their softness for longer than modern, supersticky, fast-warming compounds.
I have no idea.
But the Dommie is up for new rubber this year....honest. Though probably not til the autumn.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
griffs

Ordered P3's to be fitted on Saturday.

Guy in shop recommended that for the front I go up a size, from 120, to 125. Currently 120/60/17. Does going up sound a good thing?

Rear stays the same at 160.