UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » the Avon tyres discovery

Old 17-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
the_adam

the Avon tyres discovery

Not sure if anyone knew about this, it certainly doesn't seem to be common knowledge so thought I'd post it

I found out today that Avon tyres come with a road hazard warrenty (as long as you've got less than 1mm of wear I think). Got a nice large piece of glass in mine 5 days after I'd had them changed. At the edge so not repairable. It seems that if I'd gone for any other make I'd have been paying out for another new tyre

A couple of the tyre fitters didn't know about it either, guess it's more beneficial if people don't hear about it so they don't get as many sent back? I've always liked them anyway and had a couple of sets now but this seems to be a good selling point to me I should mention that I don't know whether it applies to all of the range or not, I use storm 2 ultras.
Old 17-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
NewMon
Titanium Member

Bike: M600
That is very useful to know. I once had a brand new rear tyre fitted and was back 3 days later with a nail in it. Very expensive. Then it happened again a few weeks afterwards. Fuming I was. I will look at Avons next time round.
NewMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
neilo

Known about this for years after I suffered a puncture back in 2008. Got a new rear tyre for free.
Old 17-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
the_adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMon View Post
That is very useful to know. I once had a brand new rear tyre fitted and was back 3 days later with a nail in it. Very expensive. Then it happened again a few weeks afterwards. Fuming I was. I will look at Avons next time round.
Yep, it's not something I even thought about til it happened... They give you the new one free but obviously there's still the fitting charge for it. They'll then have to send the damaged tyre back to Avon with a form to claim back their money - that form includes the original mileage so I think they need to have taken records when it's first fitted, would be worth making sure before you buy the new ones. It also means you can only get them replaced at the same shop you bought them from
Old 18-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
It has been available since the days of Roadrunners in the 80's across the range as far as I'm aware. I've had two free ones over the years on off road tyres.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
citr2cv

just get the sticky worm plug about 4 inch long , you get a aplicator push into screw or nail hole and blow up your tyre with the co2 cartridge and no need to buy any tires. can ride till tires worn out, never stuck on the roadside again , all on good old ebay for 10.00 qiud
Old 20-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
digga

that'll be a tubeless tyre repair kit then.
used 1. before on a Bumw. good kit.
Old 20-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
the_adam

As far as I know plugs are best used on round holes and any kind of repairs should only be done on the central 3rd of the tyre, is this one something different? My computer always refuses to open the ebay site for some reason...

Either way I was much happier being given a completely new one