UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » M695 prices and running costs

Old 23-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Novice

M695 prices and running costs

Hi there ..

Just wondered if you could advice a newbie on some simple information about the Monster 695?

1. How much were they new?
2. What sort of price/condition are they selling for at the moment? Seen a 07 bike for £3500 ... is that top/middle/low?
3. How much do they cost to run in terms of servicing? Assuming 10000 miles a year
4. Can they cope with commuting? Need to do a run from Slough to Soho, so M4 for the first part then city filtering the rest.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
Old 24-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
I've bought my 695 new in May 2007.The list price was around £5000, but I paid closer to £6000 with accessories (Termi's, fly screen + seat cowl, centrestand), so I think £3500 sounds about right for an 07 695 (assuming bike is in good condition).

Servicing costs are reasonable and reliability is good - I've covered 12.5k in just under a year and a half with no major issues. I used the bike regularly for my 100 mile round trip commute and she handles it well (would definately recommend a fly screen is you do a lot of motorway work). 7500 mile service was around £200 and the next one at 15000 miles should be just over £300. Replaced the standard chain & sprockets at about 7500 miles with Renthal sprockets & Tsubaki chain (much better than originals). Rear tyre should also be good for at least 7 - 7500 miles.

The only real issue I've had is the silver engine paint flaking off, however Ducati are replacing the casings under warranty is all is good.

All in all a great bike - would definately recommend as a good all rounder.

Last edited by Seb_uk; 24-11-2008 at 11:54 AM..
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Scootaboy

I paid 4k for my 07 695 with 400 miles on the clock a few months back - from a dealer though so bit more expensive than private, though condition was mint.

when I was looking I saw a few around the 3700/3800 mark with 2/3000 miles on the clock.

£3500 sounds reasonable depending on how many miles its done?

I use mine for commuting every day (34 miles round trip, 40-45 minutes each way), often dont get out of second gear for most of it, and its been absolutely fine in all weathers, got no complaints at all in fact, cept the turning circle is useless

You'll enjoy the motorway section a lot more than the in town stuff, but thats the same whatever you ride
Old 25-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Novice

Thanks for the advice guys. Scootaboy .. your commute sounds like just the trip I plan to do. Good to know from someone with first hand experience.

My only hesitation is the current economy. I think the bike will pay for itself by year 2 as my annual travel card cost is quite high.

BTW .. how do you carry your chain with you? It seems a bit dangerous for it to be near your body, either in a rucksack or just wrapped around yourself .. ARE DISC LOCKS enough for central london? Will be parking in Soho area.
Old 25-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
mystic

I do a similar commute on my bike from Ascot to London everyday in all weathers. Also did it on my old 695 before its untimely demise! Easily lapped up the journey and I calculated that it worked out cheaper in the long run than a season ticket. Plus your home in half the time, and can leave for work much later. Go buy one they're cracking bikes.
Old 25-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Scootaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Scootaboy .. your commute sounds like just the trip I plan to do. Good to know from someone with first hand experience.

My only hesitation is the current economy. I think the bike will pay for itself by year 2 as my annual travel card cost is quite high.

BTW .. how do you carry your chain with you? It seems a bit dangerous for it to be near your body, either in a rucksack or just wrapped around yourself .. ARE DISC LOCKS enough for central london? Will be parking in Soho area.
I'm lucky enough to have secure-ish parking at work, so I dont put a lock on, but there are a number of disk locks that come with a case that you strap to the bike, meaning you wont f**k yourself if you fall on it Be careful as some disk locks are utter rubbish, my mate found found one with a great review that I'll post a link to tommorrow - relatively cheap too, outperforming many others that were more expensive. chain are only good if you got something to chain it to. You might want to consider fitting an alarm?

the more I ride mine the more I love it, and never had so many positive comments about a bike before
Old 25-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Paivi

Quote:
Put your chain in a tail bag. And get an Almax chain. Having said that, a chain is only really worth it if you can chain the bike to something solid, like a lamp post, as the thieves will just lift the bike into a van.

As you're commuting to Soho, park the bike in the NCP for £3 a day; limited parking, so get there early. Parking on the street would be £1.50 so not really much of a difference for a huge amount of peace of mind.
Old 26-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
r66bby

just had my 1st year service. Had it done at ducati manchester, highly recommended. Cost me £148.90 all in. It was a late service but they did not mine.
Old 26-11-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
Quote:
Originally Posted by r66bby View Post
just had my 1st year service. Had it done at ducati manchester, highly recommended. Cost me £148.90 all in. It was a late service but they did not mine.
Thats cheap! Was that the 7500 mile service?
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View Post
I do a similar commute on my bike from Ascot to London everyday in all weathers. Also did it on my old 695 before its untimely demise! Easily lapped up the journey and I calculated that it worked out cheaper in the long run than a season ticket. Plus your home in half the time, and can leave for work much later. Go buy one they're cracking bikes.
It wasn't the commute that killed it?
Old 26-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paivi View Post
Put your chain in a tail bag. And get an Almax chain. Having said that, a chain is only really worth it if you can chain the bike to something solid, like a lamp post, as the thieves will just lift the bike into a van.

As you're commuting to Soho, park the bike in the NCP for £3 a day; limited parking, so get there early. Parking on the street would be £1.50 so not really much of a difference for a huge amount of peace of mind.
That's exactly where I would put it. THere is also the option of Council car parks which are the same cost as parking on the road bays at £1.50 but it's a longer walk to the office
Old 26-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
Scootaboy

Quote:
It wasn't the commute that killed it?
a crash I think...
Old 26-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
r66bby

my service was for the 12month service. I bought it with 800miles on, it had its 600mile service from its previous owner. And had 1200 for this service.
Old 26-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #14
r66bby

also i had fitted some high level termi's they check'd over the installation and changed the tcp for me and its running alot smoother now.
Old 26-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
Scootaboy

here the lock I was talking about: http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/5...U-Locks/Motrax - £29.99 (£10 cheaper than anywhere else)

got Ride magazine 9/10 best buy a couple of years back, not sure if its been surpassed by anything since.

Avoid disk locks with a circular key hole - they were cracked by thieves years back, doesnt stop shops selling them though...