UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Low bars... not for me!

Old 21-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
Low bars... not for me!

I got hold of a set of Rizoma 45mm rise bars, and thought "They'll look sweeeeet" on my bike, so I sat by the front door waiting for them to be delivered, and they duly arrived, new and unused in their box.

I put them on the bike without taking the controls etc. off the original handle bars, instead opting to pull them out of the way using a couple of bungee cords. Glad I did as they were a LOT lower than I was expecting.

I reckon I'd like something a little lower than the original bars, and I'm not 100% sure on the chrome; probably would prefer a black bar, but about 15-20mm lower, not 60-70mm lower. I've put the originals back on for now!

velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Check carefully that the switch-gear doesn't hit the tank when you've finished!
620 is a bit challenged in the turning circle department as stock, even before having to adjust to reduce lock-to-lock.

Renthal do a suitable bar, I'll try and dig out the details.

'ulta-low'
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=37482
I have a set in a matt silver on my 1000

Last edited by slob; 21-02-2021 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: info added
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
Flip

Bike: M900
Both those sets look to be odd for your Monster to be honest- are the Chrome ones aftermarket too?

Certainly the Rizoma ones look to have an odd ‘downward slope’.

I fitted a pair of Renthal bars to my 900 a few years back, just low enough to put a little more weight forward without compromising comfort and with enough rise to clear my ‘pulled through the Yokes’ forks.

Old 21-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
Nasher

Pah, you need to go further.

Clip-ons are the only answer.

Nasher

Last edited by Nasher; 21-02-2021 at 09:02 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by velosam View Post
I got hold of a set of Rizoma 45mm rise bars, and thought "They'll look sweeeeet" on my bike, so I sat by the front door waiting for them to be delivered, and they duly arrived, new and unused in their box.

I put them on the bike without taking the controls etc. off the original handle bars, instead opting to pull them out of the way using a couple of bungee cords. Glad I did as they were a LOT lower than I was expecting.

I reckon I'd like something a little lower than the original bars, and I'm not 100% sure on the chrome; probably would prefer a black bar, but about 15-20mm lower, not 60-70mm lower. I've put the originals back on for now!

The chrome set look a lot higher than standard more like ape hangers. Are they "City" bars?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #6
velosam

The chrome set look a lot higher as they e been pulled up out of the way, however on looking at other images online, it would seem they may be higher than stock. Has anyone got a set they can measure for comparison? I like the look of the rise on Flip’s bars - what rise are they?

As for clip ons... I tried that years ago on a Suzuki GSX and quickly realised the wrist I broke as a teenager wasn’t going to play ball, despite how good they looked.
Old 21-02-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
slob

The Rizomas look stock-ish but maybe rotated back a bit too much

the renthal ultra-low just fitted without any cable/hose modification, they do make getting at fork adjusters (where fitted) difficult , due to the final bend being further out, and don't drop at the ends like stock bars

Old 21-02-2021, 10:00 PM   #8
Doggy

Bike: M796
Those Rizoma's look like the sportline bar which I have just fitted to my 796 which are near identical to the stock bars .
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #9
velosam

I've just measured and the stock bars are 100mm centre-to-centre. The Rizoma are 22mm-ish, I think their rise (45mm stated) is bottom of bar to top of bar (where it curves).

Thinking the Renthal Road Low look a decent change from what's on there. Probably more what I'm looking for in terms of drop from the riding position that I had - which was comfy, but felt a bit too relaxed.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...BoCOhsQAvD_BwE
Old 22-02-2021, 09:06 AM   #10
Flip

I’m pretty sure mine are the ‘Road Low’ version as I seem to remember not having clearance at the top of my forks for the ‘Ultra Low’ but I can check later if you want?
Old 22-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
slob

You might want to double check the size of the expanding sleeves on your bar end plugs/mirror mounts, as the aluminium bars are thicker walled than steel ones.
Old 22-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #12
velosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
You might want to double check the size of the expanding sleeves on your bar end plugs/mirror mounts, as the aluminium bars are thicker walled than steel ones.
Will do - that's good info as I don't have any additional plugs. Will check the R&G site for their dims.
Old 22-02-2021, 09:32 AM   #13
velosam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
I’m pretty sure mine are the ‘Road Low’ version as I seem to remember not having clearance at the top of my forks for the ‘Ultra Low’ but I can check later if you want?
That would be good if you can - I think the Road Low are the ones I'm preferring rather than the Ultra Low.
Old 22-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Your high bars look like US export bars for a Bonnie or something? (Western bars.)
Possibly Wassel? They seem rather wide on the clamping straight.

Had you though of using your new bars with risers?
I have a set of adjustable stackable risers, unused, going spare. Might be handy to establish what rise you are happy with before you buy more bars, or just carry on with the risers?
Old 22-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #15
velosam

Found a couple of images showing the bar height:

From scrolling through stock images, I think they're higher than most others; so they're possibly an aftermarket fitment. I don't think they're quire US-style semi-chopper bars, but they're not that low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I have a set of adjustable stackable risers, unused, going spare. Might be handy to establish what rise you are happy with before you buy more bars, or just carry on with the risers?
This might be a good idea; though I'd ultimately prefer to have a bar on the standard risers rather than stacking the risers themselves.