UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Carbon end caps for ally swingarms ... anyone fancy a joint purchase ?

Old 20-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Carbon end caps for ally swingarms ... anyone fancy a joint purchase ?

I've got myself convinced that I need a pair of these, despite the price being ridiculous ....

http://www.mvs-performance.de/ALU-sw...-PASO-907-M900

Roughly speaking, they're £100 a pair.
BUT, on visiting the checkout, I was offered the chance of a second pair at a significantly reduced price .... effectively making them roughly £85 a pair (both prices don't include postage).
Even at that price, they don't make financial sense, but I will probably have a pair anyway, even at full price, to set off my new carbon wheels.
But I would happily share a joint purchase if anyone fancies splitting the discount between us.
Anyone ?
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
DrD

Strangely I was humming about the alloy ones: http://www.mvs-performance.de/Ducati...ngarm-End-Caps
Not sure about the carbon ones
Old 20-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Smiffy could make those.
Old 20-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Interesting thatthhey list the alloy ones will fit the S4 and 888 etc but the carbon ones are not listed for s4. The S4 has gold alloy ones already but the carbon ones may be a nice if somewhat frivolous addition especially since I like the gold ones with my matching axle plates and I have a Metmachex swing arm that may or not go one at some point and has eccentric adjusters anyway!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
Flip

Bike: M900
Jeff, you best add a pair of these to your basket while you're at it then- just to make the postage worth it you understand:

http://www.mvs-performance.de/ALU-ch...-PASO-907-M900

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
Strangely I was humming about the alloy ones: http://www.mvs-performance.de/Ducati...ngarm-End-Caps
Not sure about the carbon ones
Has you 900 not already got a nice pair of gold alloy end caps as standard?

Just a little word of warning with regards to MVS Performance from my own personal experience when I did a bit of a refresh on my 900 early last year.

I bought a pair of these: http://www.mvs-performance.de/Chain-...Aluminum-17-mm to replace the standard steel plates.

However, their added thickness over the steel means that using the 900's welded-on paddock stand bobbins to lift the bike using the genuine Ducati paddock stand originally supplied to 888's (my mate wangled one for the Monster from the dealer he bought the bike from when new) means it actually fouls the plates unless you modify the lifting forks somewhat.

When I contacted MVS about this I got a stream of abuse via email basically calling me a liar as they have sold hundreds of these without complaint and no such paddock stand was ever offered by Ducati for the Monster- I told them I knew that and the stand was for a 888 which used the same swing arm (and therefore would suffer the same issue) but then they simply when quiet.

So I would say be careful if you have to return anything.
Old 20-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

MVS, is that a company that took over Peter Dorsch racing? He used to be pretty good at dealing with issues and I have some of his stuff on my bike.

I only ask because a lot of the stuff they sell looks exactly like the Dorsh stuff he used to sell and whenever I google him I end up at the MVS site?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
utopia
No turn left unstoned

You're not the first to suggest that I should get the carbon side plates too, Flip.
But no, I wont be doing that ... not at that price.
Its bad enough just for the end caps, but the cost of the two together would be beyond ridiculous.
I did ponder their black anodised ally ones though.
BUT, I do have a plan, which will either mean continuing to use my existing homemade sideplates, slightly modified, or perhaps even making some copies of them in carbon.
In my opinion, my design is better than theirs anyway.
Old 20-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Has you 900 not already got a nice pair of gold alloy end caps as standard?
Yes but one is badly scarred and they are gold and not titanium
Old 21-01-2016, 02:07 AM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

I had to laugh ....
A quote from the listing for the carbon end caps ....

"Here we offer a set of swinging end caps."

Groovy !
Old 21-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
they are the sex. im in with red insert! i could make them but i wouldnt know where they began to build in the strength to take the compression load, unless they are just covers for then end?! if so ill bloody make them!

edit. just seen these are the covers but surely the area around and under the bolt must be under crazy compression loads which carbon is **** in! i dont trust these at all unless they just cover the metal original which in my eyes is a bit mickey mouse anyway

Last edited by smiffyraf1; 21-01-2016 at 11:45 AM..
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
utopia
No turn left unstoned

There shouldn't be any loading of any consequence on them because you only adjust once the spindle nut has been slackened.
Old 21-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
slob

The ally inserts protect the side plates from crushing and provide a bearing surface for the adjusters, which as utopia points out are under very little load. The inserts are easy enough to turn up in some 6xxx or similar. It's laminating them into the parts I'd be unsure of.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

ahh course i forgot about tightening the spindle down. still even when you adjusting it mine are sometimes chuffing tight. thats a lot of pull. theres no way the resin could hold that insert in place under that load.
Old 21-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #14
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

unless that insert is a top hat section but then all the pull is on the surrounding composite. hmmm i cant decide if i want a set just to see how they work!
Old 21-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #15
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Exactly .... I was going to post this ....

The insert will be like a top-hat washer and will be compressed onto the carbon as the adjuster bolt is tightened, so there's no load trying to rip it out against the bonding, which will be there mostly just to stop the insert falling out prior to fitting ....I presume.
Also, there should be very little torque required to shift the adjuster bolts ... maybe your internal adjuster blocks are sticking or have gummed-up threads ?

Ok, up to now we appear to have one additional order.
I presume further additions on top of that will attract the same discount (need to confirm this though).
If so, then that should put the price down by a further fiver or so each, if anyone orders a third pair.
And/or I might email them for a special, bulk price.