UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Ducati charging for test rides!!!!

Old 25-04-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
slug

Ducati charging for test rides!!!!

I recently visited my local ducati dealer for a test ride on a Multistrada. They understandabley wanted to see my driving license and a utility bill for extra proof of ID, but imagine my shock when they wanted to charge £20 for the pleasure (and it was a pleasure ) of riding their demonstrator, they said that if I ended up buying a bike from them they would refund the £20. I was pretty miffed about this considering that in the past 18months I have spent at least a £1k on parts and servicing with them.
I kicked up a small fuss and fortunately they forgot to charge the £20, Still its bloody cheeky though

I mentioned the above to another dealer who was surprised that another mainstream dealer should be charging for test rides, he said that every time a customer takes a bike out for a test ride Ducati pay the dealer £20 (for a 999) to £10 (for a M620).

Anybody else come across this situation before ?
Old 25-04-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
fatbloke

I've heard of a couple of dealers doing this, thy tell me its to deter people
who just turn up and want to take a bike for a spin with no intention of
buying a bike.
It seems to be a problem in some areas.
I'm not saying its a good thing, its just what I've been told.
Old 25-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
Melnie Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke
I've heard of a couple of dealers doing this, thy tell me its to deter people
who just turn up and want to take a bike for a spin with no intention of
buying a bike.
It seems to be a problem in some areas.
I'm not saying its a good thing, its just what I've been told.
that's exactly true. I'm afraid, cos there are a lot of joy riders just using their petrol and bikes to show off and i'm afraid, a few bikes have been damaged as the result. it's to separate those truly interested and just joy riders. most people charge 25 quid a bike. P&H introduced it first I believe. only time there's no charge is on an open day.
Old 25-04-2005, 07:46 AM   #4
Melnie Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug
I mentioned the above to another dealer who was surprised that another mainstream dealer should be charging for test rides, he said that every time a customer takes a bike out for a test ride Ducati pay the dealer £20 (for a 999) to £10 (for a M620).

Oh! and that last paragraph... Ducati and only them, have taken away their demo discount for dealers.. which means when a demo goes up for sale after 3 months, normally its a grand cheaper! but since Ducati have taken that away, they now say, for every demo ride, an appraisal forms is to be filled out, and every form they receive the dealer get's 20 or 25 quid back. and THAT is what the dealer knocks off when demo becomes for sale. I think that's discusting way to treat dealers... and in turn the customer!

Last edited by LeMarsu; 25-04-2005 at 11:38 AM..
Old 25-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug
I took a test ride on a Multistrada and ST3 this weekend too. See my thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...485#post105485

Called Pro Twins at South Caterham - where I get all my Monster servicing done, and they said it would cost £15 - Non refundable - to cover insurance. Plus, if is was raining then the test ride was off.

As they didn't have an ST3, I called Ducati London South.
They had both bikes (although check in advance as they share with the other Ducati London shop). The rides were 2up, with both Susan and myself taking turns as rider and pillion. And it was raining/drizzling for some of the time .

No problems .

No charge , although could we put 'some' petrol in to cover our ride - a reasonable request - I put £5 worth in the Multi, and £8 worth in the ST3 (as we took it on the Motorway and went further). We both signed damage waivers - but that is also standard.

A good experience, which means if we do go for a Multistrada, then Ducati London South will be getting my business . Thank you Claire.

PS - Daryl, Glad you liked the Multistrada too - 620 or 1000 ?
Old 25-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I had a similar experience at DLS... put a fiver in the tank after the fuel light came on on the motorway. (It was an overcast day and absolutely p*ssing down by the time I got back)
What annoyed me was a charge for a courtesy bike during servicing, when they're already charging you a whopping 10% of the bikes new value for a 6K service.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
Melnie Mouse

not heard of that one, charging you for a courtesy bike whilst yours in for service, apart from the indemnity of course...
Old 25-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnie Mouse
not heard of that one, charging you for a courtesy bike whilst yours in for service, apart from the indemnity of course...

Most car main agents will do the same unless you kick up about it
Old 25-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
Melnie Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Oh really? I've not heard of that...

Thanks for stickers and badges, ducati people only... yahhhh
Old 25-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
The Kevlar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Pedro, Such as who???? I'm interested.....

I never experienced this (and done a fair bit of buying / mystery shopping). I hope its none of our dealers.....

As for bike dealers, if someone wanted to charge me for thinking of buying one of their bikes, I'd assume they didn't want my business and go and spend my money somewhere else - their loss.
Old 25-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #11
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
So the dealer gets £20 from Ducati and £20 from the test pilot? Hmm....

Car dealers don't do it that i know of, infact I have had test drivers lent to me for the whole weekend before without charge! My dad took a ZX12R out for a rip whilst his ZZR1100 was being 'done' and he had to put a fiver in the tank. Best fiver he ever spent he says!
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 12:33 AM   #12
slug

MilesB
I tested the 100DS multi at Ducati wolverhampton they were realy helpful, I ended up buying the demo bike (4-5 months old with 400 miles on the clock) for a very good price. Four other delaers couldnt get anywhere near the price, including the real cheapo sellers like Pegasus. This heavily discounted demo bike would confirm what Melanie says about dealers selling demonstrators after only 3 months or so. Indeed the guy at Duc Wolves said Ducati were forcing him to put a new 05 spec bike on as a demo'

The MTS that I have bought is a MY04 bike which I have up-spec'd to 05 for £200ish, I also added the obligotory carbon hugger, they should realy have a hugger as standard

Apologies for temporarily turning UKMOC into a Numptystrada site normal service will be resumed shortly....

PS: if you are interested in Numptys visit multistrada.net they whinge about side stands just like we do. personally I think the MTS stand is pretty good... well compared to the monsters precarious lean angle
Old 26-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #13
mikerukbiker

I use Ducati Leeds and am pleased to say that, so far, they have never charged for use of "courtesy" bike when mine is being serviced. I do however, always put petrol in as soon as I pick up the bike because there never seems to be much more than fumes in the tank.

My first Ducati was a 620s demo and it had about 600 on the clock and had been registered about 12 weeks. TRhe price was excellent (but less good on the trade-in!)
Old 26-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #14
Melnie Mouse

Apologies for temporarily turning UKMOC into a Numptystrada site normal service will be resumed shortly....

PS: if you are interested in Numptys visit multistrada.net they whinge about side stands just like we do. personally I think the MTS stand is pretty good... well compared to the monsters precarious lean angle [/QUOTE]

Have you seen how good the 'new' stand is on the numpty? I'm borrowing a 620 babynumpty I call it, and it's lovely to ride, and has excellent stand not wonky at all like the previous 1000 I borrowed last year - much improved.
Old 26-04-2005, 07:58 AM   #15
moor-ph0

No Charge

Hi,
And they say the Scots are skinflints!! Anyway I had my M1000 in Ducati Glasgow for its 6K service and some warranty work. Free of charge I had on loan a 999 for two days - great bike. The tank was nearly full and the only stipulation was I fill the tank on return. Well worth it and a fantastic two days riding the 999. Great bunch of guys at Ducati Glasgow - well worth a visit.
Geoff