UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » YUK Mud :(

Old 19-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
Melnie Mouse

YUK Mud :(

This morning on my way to work, i go through from Rowlands Castle to Bartons Cross Roads and through the Funtington Village, I'm used to passing farm entrances and aware of the mud that's sometimes there, but this morning was ridiculous.

From the farm entrance on my left, there was no tyre tracks to follow, no way of avoiding the mud, so i carefully rode through it, slowing down to about 35 mph (it was a 60 limit) but i still skidded as i hit the mud. Heart beating quickly as i regained grip, carried on riding to work, thinking surely from a farm entrance aren't they supposed to try and keep it a little clean? I mean i know it's hard especially in this weather, but that was a flippin joke this morning.

I got to work, and rang the non emergency police line. He's taken it all down and said oh I know where you mean, right thank you i'l get on to the council. I've never reported it before cos it's never been as bad as this before, but what if it was a new rider that might well have braked on the mud had they not have been experienced. Or if someone didn't see it however experienced they might have been, doesn't mean nothing can't ever happen to them!
Old 19-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
As they are responsible for any accidents it could cause, they really should be more careful. It's not like they can hide there tracks, is it.

Glad to read you or the bike didn't come to any harm though!

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
barbican

Glad you're OK

Write to Basil Baird, I think he owns that farm.

I thought they had a duty to try to clear up the mess if it is a danger.

Try going up the road from Funtington to West Stoke, you will need a shovel!
Old 19-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Crappy roads have been the subject of a thread on the NABD forum recently...

http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1934

and here's a useful quote from it...

Mrs. Ann Winterton: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, Local Government and the Regions what guidance is issued by his Department to farmers and landowners regarding their duty of care relating to mud on road surfaces; what plans he has to publish a code of practice for farmers and landowners clarifying their liability in road traffic accidents where mud is cited as a contributory factor to the hazardous road condition; and if he will make a statement. [37918]

Mr. Jamieson: The National Farmers Union already issues guidance to farmers and landowners about preventing the dropping of mud onto the road surface which they are currently in the process of updating. I have no plans for my Department to duplicate this guidance.

There are specific regulations aimed against mud being dropped onto the highway. Sections 148 and 161(1) of the Highways Act 1980 make it an offence to deposit anything, including mud and manure, on roads. Section 149 of the Highways Act 1980 enables highway authorities to take action against anyone who deposits anything on the highway that constitutes a nuisance or danger. Section 6 of the Road Traffic Act 1991 makes it an offence to cause anything to be left on the road if it would be obvious to a reasonable person that to do so would be dangerous.

and another quote from the BMF that says...

In cases of diesel spillage, mud, or other road surface contamination that is a danger to road users, notify the local police.

Last edited by gary tompkins; 19-02-2007 at 09:53 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote