UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Enduro/Off Road Clothing

Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Plum

Enduro/Off Road Clothing

Right! So this is the deal. I am off on the Enduro Africa rally for Riders For Health at the end of October, and, being a total novice at the off road game, need advice of kit. More so brands. What to look for, who to avoid. I need the whole thing right down to the lid.

Any advice and recommendations will be apprciated

L
Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
In my opinion, based on a few years of doing enduros

Boots - Alpine Stars are the most comfortable, strongest boots, any of the various tech series, buy these and wear them for a while before you go. The later ones have a seperate inner boot.

Trousers, Jacket - Sinisalo gear is very well made. Zip off sleeves are great if you still want the pockets but want to be cooler.

Enduro trousers go over the boot, very important to stop mud, sand etc getting down into your boot and grinding your toes raw.

Mesh body armour jacket with built in kidney belt, stops all your bits jiggling around on rough ground. I use a knox.

Camel back, get the biggest you can, you dont have to fill it right up, but may well want to.

Have a look for padded lycra shorts, I wear cycling ones, stops 'monkey butt'.

Shave your chest and wear either corn plasters or elastoplast to stop raw nipples, dont laugh, it feckin hurts.

Will add more if I can think of stuff.

Crust
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
banditloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crust View Post
In my opinion, based on a few years of doing enduros

Boots - Alpine Stars are the most comfortable, strongest boots, any of the various tech series, buy these and wear them for a while before you go. The later ones have a seperate inner boot.

Trousers, Jacket - Sinisalo gear is very well made. Zip off sleeves are great if you still want the pockets but want to be cooler.

Enduro trousers go over the boot, very important to stop mud, sand etc getting down into your boot and grinding your toes raw.

Mesh body armour jacket with built in kidney belt, stops all your bits jiggling around on rough ground. I use a knox.

Camel back, get the biggest you can, you dont have to fill it right up, but may well want to.

Have a look for padded lycra shorts, I wear cycling ones, stops 'monkey butt'.

Shave your chest and wear either corn plasters or elastoplast to stop raw nipples, dont laugh, it feckin hurts.

Will add more if I can think of stuff.

Crust

Tops tips!

Alpinestars boots are excellent MX boots!

As for sore nipples, either an old vest / t-shirt top cut down or go down the plaster route

Only learned this info from just being a photographer at motocross and enduro meetings

Must admit to wearing lycra cycling shorts under my leathers though. Just makes it a lot easier to get the leathers off in the summer
Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 AM   #4
Julie

Well Jenny and I always were alpinestars gear now.
The ST5 drystar pants and you can use them after on your montser.
http://www.alpinestars.com/ST_5_Drys.../p/322351.html

The space drystar jacket - again will be great after on your monster
http://www.alpinestars.com/Space_Dry.../p/320615.html

Any of the alpinestar tech range in boots - tho do look for the enduro sole
http://www.alpinestars.com/pl/c/112.html

If you want MX gear then look at the alpinestars protection range
http://www.alpinestars.com/pl/c/112.html

The alpinestars race pants and top are also what we use
http://www.offroadworld.co.uk/prodty...ageHistory=cat

We also wear Arai Helmets off road. The VX Pro.
However it might be worth looking at the Tour X which is something you can use after your trip on the monster.

Good luck and have fun.

This gear has been perfect for us in everything we do. Jenny raced SMX in 2005 - 06 and came second over all in the ladies. We went to morocco and into the sahara and we are in wales as often as we can. We also did the hafren rally in December last year - only we forgot to wear the waterproof gear and got soaked to the skin! We just wore our enduro coats which are not waterproof.

I use a camelbak - whick is 3L Its from the Havok - Mayhem range and is designed for Moutain bikers. I find it brilliant and not to heavy when full - did cost me £60 But i realise not 'Buy cheap - Buy Twice'

The alpinestars and arai are brilliant.

Take loads of photos plum - post them here when you get back i love photos of trips like that!

We are off to the pyreneese in two months! Yeah!

Last edited by Julie; 11-05-2007 at 05:37 AM..
Old 11-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
markus

I have a brand new pair of Fox Forma Pro's for sale (Size 8), i Paid £240 for them then sold my KTM - Doh!
offers to the usual PM - sorry for the hi-jack
Old 11-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
JamesH

Buy yourself one of these, I have both sorts and they are both excellent. They are slightly odd to start with (skintight) but really do keep the sweat away from you and keep you cool/hot.

http://canterburynz.com/shop/baselayer

I can bring them to the weekender if people want to have a butchers.

James
Old 12-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Fodder

Thumbs up

Another vote for Alpine stars kit.
I have tech 6 boots, mind you they took a lifetime to bed in
My lid is a relatively cheap HJC fuel, it has lasted well, is light and comfortable and has a removeable lining, so can't really fault it.
I have Dainese enduro pants but I found them a little to heavywight (read hot) for desert riding, good for the UK mud though.

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lol1.JPG (29.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 13-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Plum

it looks like Alpinestars is the way to go then.....is there any decent places on the web that do good deals? Any links would be great