UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Frustrated almost biker

Old 21-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Madamejones

Frustrated almost biker

Hi all

Taken my theory and CBT ( which was with a crap school, just a licence to print £ ) was going to do DAC but CBT made me lose confidence.

Had a think about getting a 125cc to teach myself as also most schools fully booked up now. HOWEVER have decided to ditch the 125 idea and finally found a local school that are going to do day long lessons once a week until i pass. Not fussed about the new test. Have an assessment in 2 weeks time to see how long i'll need.

Want to get a Monster 695 or 620 when i've passed. Pillion at the mo on my better half's bike, which makes things even more frustrating!

I do seem to be obsessed with these Monsters!!!
Old 21-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome and good luck!
Old 21-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
alreadyinuse

the 125 is a good idea
it gives you practise.
do the direct acess but have the 124 to het pratice in before then

if you can turn in the road on a 125 the 500 is easy. you get a wider road.
Old 21-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
wooley_t

Get monstered....its the only way...................
Old 21-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
A rather fine obsession to be having.
Old 22-08-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
Arbeia

get the new one x)
Old 22-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the club and best of luck with your upcoming test.
Monsters are just the best.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to

Day long lessons are a good way to go -let us know how you get on.
Old 28-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
red_or_dead666

Hi took my CBT at my local centre, Swains at Harpur Hill, buxton. It cost me 120quid and it took a day to complete. Have been happily riding a 125cc scoot ever since.
Really really want a ducati dark in slate grey or black, unfortunately now have the dilemma of what to do about my full bike test?
Do I do it on a 125 and wait 2 years till I can move on to a monster or do the direct access course and jump straight in???????
Also it's looking very much like that from September/ October I'll have to travel to bloody Rotherham instead of Macclesfield to do the test.
I understand how you feel.
Old 28-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Bodybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_or_dead666 View Post
Hi took my CBT at my local centre, Swains at Harpur Hill, buxton. It cost me 120quid and it took a day to complete. Have been happily riding a 125cc scoot ever since.
Really really want a ducati dark in slate grey or black, unfortunately now have the dilemma of what to do about my full bike test?
Do I do it on a 125 and wait 2 years till I can move on to a monster or do the direct access course and jump straight in???????
Also it's looking very much like that from September/ October I'll have to travel to bloody Rotherham instead of Macclesfield to do the test.
I understand how you feel.
You can have the 600 monsters restricted so you can still ride them within the two years initial period. But... Under no circumstances should you try and do your test on one. They have a very poor turning circle and you will fail your turn in the road unless your instructor knows of a good quiet piece of motorway to do it on!!
Old 28-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
red_or_dead666

Hiya, thanks for that advice, Good to know.

Can do a two day course at Swains before the test and I 'think' they let you use either a honda 125cc for the restricted test or a kawaski 500 for the direct access.

Absolutely petrified at the thought of having to bike to Rotherham though. I've got a poor sense of direction at the best of times.
Old 28-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
johnsy

Just try and keep calm for your test, i lost my instructor though some lights, then when he asked me to take the next right and wait, i took the 2nd, he guessed what happened and had to go around the one-way system to find me Thought i'd of failed but he said that i looked safe and confident, so passed me

Think we've all a few stories there, while i waited for my test, an a-se hole came flying into the carpark and crashed into the door of the station , didn't stay to see if he passed, but something told me he had no chance

Good luck
Old 29-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #13
ducrissi

Welcome to the site - and the world of monsters - good choice!!!

Getting some experience on a 125 is a good idea if you can get it - but do the DAC if not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_or_dead666 View Post
Absolutely petrified at the thought of having to bike to Rotherham though. I've got a poor sense of direction at the best of times.
the ride from Buxton to Rotherham is a brilliant ride , some really good roads - do it a few times on the scoot before hand - and you'll be happily settled in by the time you do your test.

Good luck both!
Old 29-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
gremlin

Did 125 test and it was easier having only had a 125 up to it. Now have 600 Monnie and the turning circle is way worse, no way would it have gone round in the road I had to turn in! The restriction thing isn't too bad, at least you get used to your bike before you get full power. With all the junk about the new test it may be the only option.
Old 13-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #15
Madamejones

Update.....had my 90 min assessment and the instructor was bloody fab! He reckons a few 90 min lessons + a day + my practising and then test.

For those of you that don't know.....the new test has now been postponed until March 09.

My OH brought me a very old Suzuki TS100 the other day! needs a bit of TLC to make it roadworthy and then i can get out and practise! It's an R reg and only done 7,000 miles.

Doing the Cheltenham - Ace Cafe - Brighton run tomorrow, so hope weather stays sunny!!