UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Searching for a bracket to fit a high mounted exhaust

Old Today, 08:01 AM   #46
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
You won't need longer thread if the shouldered portion is longer - 'coz you won't need the spacer if the shoulder moves it out that far. .
Sorry mate, you can't mess with the length of the shoulder as that is critical in supporting the rubber bush/silent block.
The shoulder length is 19mm, I'll get the diameter a bit later today when I open the workshop, but it will be the same as a standard Ducati shoulder bolt.

Great idea to source those bits to make up custom shoulder bolts and spacers.
I had to do the same to replace some shouldered body bolts on the other bike. They were M5 with a 2mm shoulder, so I found some ally spacers the right size from China and they work well with Titanium bolts, except I have to remember to catch the little spacer/shoulder when I take them out.

It might even work out cheaper or not much more to get a local person with a lathe to spin some top hats up from 25mm ally bar.
Dacs knows someone in Norwich and there is Hutch at HTE motorcycles in Beeston. htemotorcycles@yahoo.co.uk. they are all over the place if you look.

Alec at English Electric Motor Company in Redgrave has got a lovely lathe.
Old Today, 09:21 AM   #47
Foggy

Bike: M600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Sorry mate, you can't mess with the length of the shoulder as that is critical in supporting the rubber bush/silent block.
The shoulder length is 19mm, I'll get the diameter a bit later today when I open the workshop, but it will be the same as a standard Ducati shoulder bolt.

Great idea to source those bits to make up custom shoulder bolts and spacers.
I had to do the same to replace some shouldered body bolts on the other bike. They were M5 with a 2mm shoulder, so I found some ally spacers the right size from China and they work well with Titanium bolts, except I have to remember to catch the little spacer/shoulder when I take them out.

It might even work out cheaper or not much more to get a local person with a lathe to spin some top hats up from 25mm ally bar.
Dacs knows someone in Norwich and there is Hutch at HTE motorcycles in Beeston. htemotorcycles@yahoo.co.uk. they are all over the place if you look.

Alec at English Electric Motor Company in Redgrave has got a lovely lathe.
Good point about the shoulder MrGazza I'll make a note of that .... and useful local contacts too. Cheers
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:55 PM   #48
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Thanks for all the info Spuggy, now I know what to search for there's loads as you say. The McMaster site looks great but I'm sure I can find a UK equivalent. My next step is to dismantle what I have and get some precise measurements. Thanks for all your help.
You're welcome. Yeh, test fit it all, and measure. Then measure again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
Obviously, you could stack multiple standoff spacers to achieve the exact length(s) you want.
It bothered me that my statement here was a little hand-wavey - came back to expand a little.

As Mr Gazza observes, the factory supported the rubber bushing on both sides; there's a washer behind the silentbloc (apart from that one place on the M900 parts diagram that I think is a mistake), and the head of the shouldered bolt contains it at the front, so the bush is all sandwiched in place and constrained.

The back end (between the hanger and whatever it fits to, frame or crankcase/prop stand bracket, whatever) - is just spacer dimension & exposed thread.

What I really like about Mr Gazza's approach, is that the end result looks very tidy - it could have come from the factory. I did wonder - as he mused earlier - if you could utilize a factory part - like the washer the factory used on the oil cooler fixings. Which may be 84110011C, which some describe as "fairing mounting cap" - and might be available in silver or gold (seen both).

This would likely limit the availabilty of M8 bolts though, as that washer wants to be used with a low profile socket cap head, which don't look to be as readily available in longer lengths (over 60mm). That may even be long enough...

Measuring it all up and figuring out what's needed would seem to be key...

Last edited by spuggy; Today at 07:38 PM..
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote