UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Searching for a bracket to fit a high mounted exhaust

Old 31-05-2024, 03:38 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Does this mean I need to get longer bolts to accommodate the spacers ?
Yes it does.
And they're specials so not easy to obtain.
There are other ways to make up a composite fastener though.
I believe Gazza looked into this a few years back but I couldn't find the old thread.
Maybe he'll be along with more info presently.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 01:34 PM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Ah! just seen this.
The short answer is that you might not need longer bolts, but it's something to check for sure.

The left side engine bolts are a little longer than the right side ones due to the side stand bracket already holding the left hanger off a bit further. It's possible that you might not even have to space the left side bottom.
So if you need longer ones on the right, then it might be possible to get some left side ones. (trying not to call them left hand to avoid confusion, they are all RH thread.)
Moto Rapido would almost certainly be able to source those.
If requiring longer 8mm shoulder bolts for the upper mounts then there may still be hope, as early models used one shoulder bolt to fix an earth strap and had room for a nut on the end. Perhaps these are available too?

The reason I made up some specials was that I discovered a previous owner had improvised (I'm being generous here!) some shoulder bolts by winding some insulation tape round some standard bolts.. Thanks whoever you are!
I rather liked the idea of the top hat adapters that were sold by TPO at the time, but they were very expensive, more so to get them from the US and now not in business I think?

My answer was to buy some 25mm aluminium bar and get a mate to turn some up to my design.
They mimic the shoulder @ 12.5mm diameter x 19mm long with a through hole 10mm clearance for a standard M10 bolt.
The head mimics the cup washers found on the oil cooler and headlamp mounts.
I made the counterbores for low cap heads, but I'm now thinking of a redesign using countersunk as I can't find any Ti low heads the right size.

The upper ones are sized for M8, but the shoulder length and head remains the same.

I've just read that they should have washers under the shoulders, which makes a lot of sense, since the bearing surface is a mere 1mm wide. I'm thinking as I type that a full set of thick washers from my 25mm bar would be good, including a little counterbore to support the end of the shoulder/top hat.

If I do commission another set with countersinks instead of counter bores and with special washers, I'll make some drawings and pass them on.
I could measure up my originals anyway if anyone wants the dims. The original drawings are held in cyber-limbo on a long inaccessible file!! Sorry.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 01-06-2024 at 01:36 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:04 AM   #18
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
The spare set of Termignoni ones I had were sold back in 2017.

I think Spuggy had them but I don't see it on the thread.
Yup, I snagged those - snagged a pair of Remus-branded DP high-level Titanium cans from Dirty (I think) and needed a fitting kit.

Quote:
I don't even know if he is still around or has them.
I pop in from time-to-time to make sure you guys are behaving yourselves

I dragged the cans & fitting kit over the pond and put them on the 900Sie I bought here...

Quote:
AFAIK they were only sold with the exhaust kits.
Yes. And there's a very, very, good reason that you got a DP ECU with those kits. The 900ies, with those pipes but without the DP ECU, can barely keep themselves running below 2000 RPM. Ask me how I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Ah! just seen this.
The short answer is that you might not need longer bolts, but it's something to check for sure.

The left side engine bolts are a little longer than the right side ones due to the side stand bracket already holding the left hanger off a bit further. It's possible that you might not even have to space the left side bottom.
Yeh, Mr Gazza is pretty much spot-on, as I recall (been a while).

Both the top mounts on the footrest hangers, left and right side, get longer shouldered bolts and a little 10mm(?) spacer. Which I don't see on the parts diagram for the factory setup at all.

And the bottom mounts on the left side hanger (around the side stand) get a couple of thicker spacers - and correspondingly longer bolts.

Otherwise there isn't room for the pipes to clear between the swing arm and the hangers - they're pretty tight as it is.

I'd be more than happy to measure the brackets and/or spacers with some calipers.
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote