View Single Post
Old 25-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #930
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Some days you should not get out of bed, it started badly then got worse. Mostly the problem yesterday I think was because of the time I have taken to get this far. If you do discrete parts of the project in concentrated bursts and finish those parts then you have to consider all the issues about finishing that part of the build and whilst you may make a wrong turn it is generally relatively easily modified.
Each CF mould and component has been made from patterns made months ago and the patterns had to be built in isolation so the interface between the resulting components could not be checked early but I am confronting it now.
Along the way you get additional ideas that would be good to incorporate and you can get horribly fixated on making sure that it is included in the final iteration. In my case the EMI protection of the Ignitech electronic control box has got completely out of control. I must have wasted a day and a half not getting a satisfactory resolution, yesterday was about 50% of that.
The photo below shows the 3 iterations of the Farraday cage I convinced myself I needed,
From the left the Mk1 had to be abandoned when I realised that the battery tray would have to intrude into the Ignitech enclosure if it was going to sit right, the Mk2 was a reaction to that and I am sure would have done a better job than the Mk1.

Trouble was that along the way a number of design changes from the original patterns have taken place, particularly turning the pattern originally designed to be made from a male mould into a female mould I forgot to take account of the thickness of the CF itself. The space inside the enclosure is therefore smaller than originally envisaged.
That and trimming the CF part to marry with the battery tray and the enclosure is no longer deep enough to fit the Ignitech unit inside let alone encased in the Mk2 Farraday cage. Hence the Mk3 copper tape as used by electric guitarists to reduce the chance of microphone/amplifier feedback.
The non fitting issue will be resolved by a modification to the battery tray.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote