View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #920
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I had a mixed day today, some progress and a couple of setbacks.
First I removed the instrument nacelle from its mould, rather I had to destroy the mould to get the CF part separated and after an hour of struggling was disappointed to find that it was a fail on two levels, cosmetically and dimensionally. The thickness of the CF means that it will never fit inside the 6mm plate I cut to hold it. Thinking flexibly, I have come up with a solution. Originally it was planned to mount it above the plate but I am pretty sure it will work bolted beneath the plate where fortunately most of the cosmetic aberrations will not be seen. The downside is that I will have to polish the plate and I spent a couple of hours rubbing out all the file marks, misplaced centre punch marks and a lot of mill rolling surface deformation, however it is now nearly ready for buffing
I turned my attention next to the breather/ chain oiler reservoir. The design provides for an inlet pipe from the engine breather into the reservoir and immediately opposite it an exhaust pipe to atmosphere. I have put a filler between the two so I can top up with chain oil which will be gravity fed to just in front of the rear sprocket. The gravity feed is controlled by a tap at the bottom of the reservoir. The pipe into the tap has a 2mm hole in a boss which will be bonded into the reservoir. I realised that if that 2mm hole became blocked the reservoir part of the design would no longer work so I thought it would be a good idea to incorporate a brass mesh filter. The positioning is such that the filter I hope will act as a condenser and take any oil mist out of the incoming air from the breather. I was quite pleased with the result, although soldering the mesh was a bit tricky as I needed 3 hands to hold it, hold the soldering iron and feed the solder.
The filler cap made from a rubber electrical blanking plug over a turned aluminium boss will be put into the reservoir with an adhesive that I can remove if necessary to unblock the filter – should it ever be necessary.

bank citibank near me
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote