View Single Post
Old 22-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #27
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
We did it!

Thank you to everyone for turning up. Jody up from Brighton, Jake from Chelmsford and Mr and Mrs Grumpy rode over from Peterborough. All respectable rides. I think Martyn and I had the shortest ride from Norwich.

All went smoothly to plan, we all met up just before 12 and proceeded fairly swiftly to the pub. Food was served quickly and was quite acceptable. My brother arrived with his Scimitar soon after the bikes and we were able to change and stash our gear in it after lunch.

The weather was fine and the rain held off until the last few yards to the return ferry.

The Lighthouse visit and tour was very good. Informative and interesting, and yet poignant regarding the effects that climate change is already having. Coastal erosion always has and always will be an ongoing issue, but is accelerating fast now. The Lighthouse is very close to falling into the Sea now and it's a battle of wits to decide when is the time to lift the top off and pick what they can of the tower down.

The plan is to build a shorter version of the tower nearer the Village and put the original top back on. A very interesting museum is also planned... I chipped in towards it, but some way to go to fund it all yet!

Hope you all had safe journeys home. Martyn and I had a gentle ride home in light rain all the way, with the roads looking much slipperier than they really were.

Smashing day out.. Great to see everyone..