View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
You need to first find out why it is leaking. Is it an old repair that was done with epoxy fillers? If so the old repair will need to be removed before anything can be done. its impossible to repair old expoxy that has degraded by fuel contact; it needs to be totally removed. Can you see inside the tank, or do you have one of those viewer/ cams to allow you to see?

If the tank is leaking because it has developed "pin holes" rust you might be able to apply POR PATCH directly to the pin holes from the inside. I Here is a link to their US site for info.
https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Patch-F...nd-Seam-Sealer

You can buy this on eBay or Amazon. I have used it myself and it really does work. As far as I know it is the only product that is fuel resistant -though others claim to be... Its easy to place in the right area as it has the consistency of silicone. Are you actually able to reach the area that leaks through the filler hole? If not find someone with smaller hands? Be sure to wear protective gloves as POR PATCH is not harmful, but it is difficult to get off your skin. Once dry, it is hard as steel and will give the thin metal reinforcement.

It sounds as it the exterior is currently in good shape. If I were in your shoes I would apply Helicopter transparent tape made by 3M to ensure it stays exactly as it is now - also available on eBay. Place the Heli tape as you would a tank saver, bearing in mind that it is going to be there permanently. Then provided you can see its just rust causing the problem, and you can reach it (from inside) put POR PATCH over the area and leave it for at least six days to set.

I hope all this makes sense. Its hard to envisage fully your situation without seeing it first hand. Get all the fuel out first and leave the tank a day to dry out fully to be on the safe side.

Co incidently I am selling a slightly dented & scratched 2002ie tank. A friend has first refusal and I gave him a week to decide which is up next Saturday. It is in usuable condition but you would want to get it painted at some point. It came off my own bike so I know it does not leak at all and has no rust anywhere. Still these Monster tanks vary considerably in the way they are shaped underneath so I don't know whether it is suitable for your bike!

Drop me a PM if you have any questions, and goodluck.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 02-09-2019 at 06:42 AM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote