View Single Post
Old 20-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I had assumed that your spark plugs would be in good order if you were chasing an intermittent misfire, as those would be the first thing to check. I give mine a 6000 mile service life, having found that after that they can cause less than crisp performance. (that said the current pair have lasted much longer this time.)

The plugs I was alluding to in the last post are the electrical connector plugs on the harness that plug into the injectors. I had trouble with mine, or rather the previous owner did! I bought it as a non-runner and traced the problem to those plugs. As I mentioned they looked in perfect order and signals were coming out of the plug terminals but not transmitting to the socket on the injectors. It was a bit of a swine to diagnose, as everything checked out, except the injectors were not firing. I twigged it by spraying switch cleaner into the plug. The engine fired and ran when the switch cleaner was wet, but when engine heat soon dried it out, it died again one cylinder at a time.. and there was the smoking gun! I replaced the Marelli plugs and it's been no bother since.

I'm not saying that is necessarily your problem, but the moral is; take nothing for granted when testing.

Also not sure how the alternator stator could have any effect on either of the problems you are experiencing, replacing that sounds like a waste of money to me and a red herring in the equation anyway.